South Elm Street Redevelopment

Beany

I will say I love this much better than the other plan where an ugly proposed school administration building took up the entire block. There may be slight changes to the design but I agree these renderings are more finalized. The little greek building kinda looks like the Market House in Charleston, SC

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 6 months later...

a major milestone for the South Elm Street project. The city has agreed to sell the land to the master developer. The South Elm Development Group will act as a master developer. The City Council’s approval of the master development plan allows the group to go out and recruit sub-developers for each component of the project which includes apartments, retail and a hotel. The development group is also focused on appealing to the decision-makers behind the proposed downtown university district.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2013/03/20/greensboro-approves-sale-of-s-elmlee.html

To start with, awesome plan to redevelop land more or less blighted/abandoned, though given the time already, this is annoying:

But it may take up to two years for there to be any transfer of property.

“We’re actually not taking down any of the property in terms of transferring it from the Redevelopment Commission to us until we get each individual phase” planned and approved, Chapman said. “That protects the city’s interest but also protects us and what we need to build the best possible project.

Its not that I expect more out of the GSO city council, on more than one occasion I've considered them the poster-child for why humanity is doomed, but more than that they are not in a position to bureaucratically dictate the details of any development when there is so little to come by AND when this site is a languishing brownfield AND when the prelim design looks like this.  But also, because they seem to not understand that while they mull over this at the speed of plate-tectonics this opportunity probably wont exist anymore in 2 years.  Have the past 4 years taught them nothing?

To start with, awesome plan to redevelop land more or less blighted/abandoned, though given the time already, this is annoying:

Its not that I expect more out of the GSO city council, on more than one occasion I've considered them the poster-child for why humanity is doomed, but more than that they are not in a position to bureaucratically dictate the details of any development when there is so little to come by AND when this site is a languishing brownfield AND when the prelim design looks like this.  But also, because they seem to not understand that while they mull over this at the speed of plate-tectonics this opportunity probably wont exist anymore in 2 years.  Have the past 4 years taught them nothing?

I see your point. There is a window of opportunity because if they wait to long, this can get more expensive. However it did take 10 years for Southside to go from from concept to construction. But I do wish Greensboro would speed up on its projects as well.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2013/03/29/south-elmlee-street-redevelopment-to.html

At last construction on the downtown South Elm/Lee Street project will begin later this year. It will be built in 5 phases and take 12 years to completely build. The hotel will be a part of the 4th phase. The project will include apartments, for sale residential, retail, commercial or educational space and two parking decks with a total of 1,000 parking spaces. This will be the largest downtown mixed use development since Southside and since the same developer who built Southside is involved, expect an excellent quality development.

More on the project including renderings

http://www.southelmstreet.com/

^Just finished looking at the plans and I think they do a great job of ambitious but realistic development that will keep the character of Greensboro intact while really giving some nice density and life to that area.

The Elm Street corridor really is a jewel worth maximizing for the city.

Archived