The Hispanic Community in NWA

I admit I can see demonstrations like this backfiring. It certainly didn't help at the very beginning of all of this when there were actual people going around with Mexican flags. Just as a little sidenote many of the Arkansas cities are asking Hispanics to not buy anything that day either. Although that apparently isn't being requested at every city. It doesn't sound like Little Rock is asking for anything like that.

"Organizers are planning grassroots events Monday in Springdale, Little Rock, Fort Smith and De Queen." So yes even Little Rock will be involved in it.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Organizers are planning grassroots events Monday in Springdale, Little Rock, Fort Smith and De Queen." So yes even Little Rock will be involved in it.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. :blush: Yes there will be protest/demonstrations in all those locations but not all of them are asking Hispanics to boycott buying any goods. Little Rock and it seems like maybe DeQueen weren't pushing the buying boycott part of it.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. :blush: Yes there will be protest/demonstrations in all those locations but not all of them are asking Hispanics to boycott buying any goods. Little Rock and it seems like maybe DeQueen weren't pushing the buying boycott part of it.

I understood what you were saying.

Considering only 2.4% of Pulaski County's population is Hispanic it will be tough for a boycott to have much effect aside from a lot of dirty dishes in the restaurants that day.

Our country may fall apart w/out illegal immigrants, but would we fall apart for a few months or forever? I think that we could eventually get over it. Is it worth the risk?

Our country will not fall apart without illegal immigrants. It will make us stronger economically because those millions of $8-10 an hour jobs will go to real tax-paying Americans instead of illegal immigrants. Don't bother saying an American wouldn't take those jobs because they're not all in chicken plants. There are millions of illegal immigrants working in construction while Americans are just scraping by.

While I do think there would be more people interested in construction than say working in a chicken plant. I still don't think there would be that many people in our area to fill all those jobs. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :D

While I do think there would be more people interested in construction than say working in a chicken plant. I still don't think there would be that many people in our area to fill all those jobs. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :D

There are legal immigrants making $24.00 per hour working at Tyson plants. I'd easily take a job that paid close to that if it meant scooping up sewage from a toxic dump. It's not for everybody, but if Tyson had no choice they would end up paying more than someone could refuse to work in their plants.

Sounds like they had around 3,500 to 4,000 people at the rally. I got the impression they actually had less than the rally the other week. Sounds like Ft Smith had around 2,000. I haven't heard about the other rallies in the state.

LR had around 2000, I believe.

You can see the video here:

http://todaysthv.com/

I don't really like the title they had for the article: Immigration Rallies: Meant To Unify, But Creating A Backlash

Meant to unify who? The hispanics and pro-immigrationists (word?).

Creating a backlash? Among the pro-immigrationists? Nope. Then it's not a backlash. The "backlash" is comprised of the same people who were already against the immigration "reforms" from the getgo.

Everyone seems to be talking about the rallies, but what do you think of the bill? Should the currently 12 million illegal residents (most of which are located in Springdale, trying to rent from me) be allowed to stay?

I don't know what to say on the topic. If they all leave, who will work these jobs. Not me. If they stay, it is like we gave a free pass to a bunch of criminals. What do we do?

Everyone seems to be talking about the rallies, but what do you think of the bill? Should the currently 12 million illegal residents (most of which are located in Springdale, trying to rent from me) be allowed to stay?

I don't know what to say on the topic. If they all leave, who will work these jobs. Not me. If they stay, it is like we gave a free pass to a bunch of criminals. What do we do?

I really like that first compromise they had. You can't kick them out because you can't just lose that many jobs. I know some people think that these companies need to offer more money so Americans will take these jobs but I don't think it's as simple as that. Look at Tyson, they already had a rather bad quarter recently. Could you imagine if they also had to really seriously raise wages so that more 'Americans' would take those jobs? Then people would be mad because suddenly all the meat you were buying became a lot more expensive. I know it's frustrating for a lot of people. But in my opinion I think you have to have options for these people to become citizens, especially the ones that have been here a while. As I said before I really liked the compromise they had not long ago. Anyway that's my opinion.

You know what... just let everyone in. Who cares anyway. The United States allowed this mess to get this bad so why not let it get worse. The US has the most unstable economy as it is and the US Dollar is pretty much a joke to the rest of the world, so all we had left is our freedoms and even those are being given away to anybody who is sneaky enough to get into this country, get a job, have lots of kids and start suing for rights.

USA!!!

Have you ever wondered why it's called the USA? "United States of America" could include any states within America which includes North America, South America and Central America. It's not a very good name for a country, but with citizenship free to all it is actually fitting. Why wasn't the USA originally called the United States of North America South of Canada? USNASC? And how many countries have a state separated by another entire country?

Have you ever wondered why it's called the USA? "United States of America" could include any states within America which includes North America, South America and Central America. It's not a very good name for a country, but with citizenship free to all it is actually fitting. Why wasn't the USA originally called the United States of North America South of Canada? USNASC? And how many countries have a state separated by another entire country?

It's kind of obvious - at that time each state was somewhat autonomous and this independence dwindled over time starting with the failure of Articles of the Confederacy and was cemented by the reunification after the Civil War. Each state at that time had its own unique identity. Also, at that time there was no Canada, nor any other nations for that matter. Spain, England, Portugal, France and to a lesser extent the Dutch controlled all of the land in America. We were the only sovereign country in the Western Hemisphere.

• 2 months later...

Most of this info mainly has to do with the state as a whole but I thought it might get more response here than in the main Arkansas forum. Apparently the Hispanic population increased in the state by 51% from 2000 to 2005 while the rest of the state's population grew by 4% during the same time period. No surprises both Washington and Benton Counties were high on the list. The numbers weren't listed, just a map, but the two counties were in the top category of 59.80-92.88% growth along with 5 other counties scattered throughout the state.

Most of this info mainly has to do with the state as a whole but I thought it might get more response here than in the main Arkansas forum. Apparently the Hispanic population increased in the state by 51% from 2000 to 2005 while the rest of the state's population grew by 4% during the same time period. No surprises both Washington and Benton Counties were high on the list. The numbers weren't listed, just a map, but the two counties were in the top category of 59.80-92.88% growth along with 5 other counties scattered throughout the state.

Where did you see this?

I should just look this up myself but just out of curiousity does anyone know what percentage the Afro-American population is in Arkansas? It looks like Hispanics now make up close to 5% of Arkansas' population. I'm just wondering if it's feasible that Hispanics could surpass the Afro-American community in Arkansas anytime in the near future.

I should just look this up myself but just out of curiousity does anyone know what percentage the Afro-American population is in Arkansas? It looks like Hispanics now make up close to 5% of Arkansas' population. I'm just wondering if it's feasible that Hispanics could surpass the Afro-American community in Arkansas anytime in the near future.

The total number is 430,000 vs 130,000. It will take a while.

I think this has already happened in Texas, BTW.

Archived