The Hispanic Community in NWA

This is the only topic in the southern forum that I have seen discussing this issue to I will post here.

I have a question for you good people in NWA. How did seeing the rally make you feel? Also, do you think that these rallies could ultimately backfire or be a positive catalyst for change? I ask these two questions because there was a rally here in Atlanta as well. While it was "large," it seemed to have galvanized those against illegal immigrants. There is a senator here who sponsored a bill denying illegal immigrants health care and other matters. He comments were something to the effect of---wow, look at how many illegals there are here at the rally and march. This obviously proves that there are alot of illegal immigrants in Georgia and only goes to prove that there is a real need for legislature to combat illegals in the US.--- That's why I ask these questions...could the rallies have given the anti-illegals ammunition?

That is a possibility. I thought it was interesting how the rally here in Springdale was organized. There weren't any Mexican flags just American flags. I think word has gotten out that going around with flags of other countries isn't going to help win over much sympathy from some American citizens. Honestly I'm curious to see if anyone else has actually heard more talk of any of this. I can't I've heard a huge amount of comments or opinions too all of this in the local area. I'm not really sure where most of NWA stands on this issue. I've seen the issue being mentioned in the news but not really with a lot of commentary. Honestly I think people have been more galvanized about the Divinity development up here than the issue of immigration. At least that's what I've been seeing here in Fayetteville.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the only topic in the southern forum that I have seen discussing this issue to I will post here.

I have a question for you good people in NWA. How did seeing the rally make you feel? Also, do you think that these rallies could ultimately backfire or be a positive catalyst for change? I ask these two questions because there was a rally here in Atlanta as well. While it was "large," it seemed to have galvanized those against illegal immigrants. There is a senator here who sponsored a bill denying illegal immigrants health care and other matters. He comments were something to the effect of---wow, look at how many illegals there are here at the rally and march. This obviously proves that there are alot of illegal immigrants in Georgia and only goes to prove that there is a real need for legislature to combat illegals in the US.--- That's why I ask these questions...could the rallies have given the anti-illegals ammunition?

I'm not in NWA, but I'm going to comment anyways.

The bottom line is money. It's usually always money. Stopping illegal immigration would curb the flow of money to so many companies that fund the Republican party. Thus, this is all a bunch of shallow hoopla because the ultimate answer will always be, and was always going to be, that illegal immigration will continue. Both sides can parade what they believe until the sun goes down, but ultimately what they say will have little to no consequence. Money talks in Washington...

If you look at Congress, the strong anti-immigration bills are already flopping without enough support from within the Republican party. I'm pretty sure I know why.

Without illegal immigrants Tyson would collapse. Seriously, it would bankrupt the company tomorrow if they had to replace immigrants with American citizens.

It won't just be Tyson either. How much construction work would have to stop? I was disappointed when the compromise failed last week in Congress. From what I heard I thought it sounded like a good deal.

It won't just be Tyson either. How much construction work would have to stop? I was disappointed when the compromise failed last week in Congress. From what I heard I thought it sounded like a good deal.

And let's not forget how many Catholic churches would have to shut down if they stopped illegal immigration. They would lose half of their attendance. Oh, and let's not forget the thousands of companies that would have to pay their janitors more and actually offer them benefits. Landscaping might actually become a profession!

And let's not forget how many Catholic churches would have to shut down if they stopped illegal immigration. They would lose half of their attendance.

None around here would shut down, I gurantee that. Some of the Catholic Church's up here like St. Vincet De Paul have almost 20,000 members and are among the highest in the state.

None around here would shut down, I gurantee that. Some of the Catholic Church's up here like St. Vincet De Paul have almost 20,000 members and are among the highest in the state.

You may be right, but if there are illegal immigrants in NWA they're more than likely Catholic.

Godo point. From what I hear rebuilding New Orleans is being done largely with Hispanic immigrant labor, so much so that the new New Orleans is expected to have a sizable Hispanic population when there was essentially none before the hurricane.

That's where we hold our family reunions. I didn't realize it was that way.

Honestly I think it also has something to do with the fact many Hispanic families go out and do things on Sunday. You can go to a lot of places and suddenly feel like there's a lot more hispanics around. I remember going to the NWA mall on a Sunday and being surprised how many Hispanic people I saw.

Honestly I think it also has something to do with the fact many Hispanic families go out and do things on Sunday. You can go to a lot of places and suddenly feel like there's a lot more hispanics around. I remember going to the NWA mall on a Sunday and being surprised how many Hispanic people I saw.

Every zoo in Texas is that way, I think. I've been to the ones in Dallas, Ft Worth, and Tyler and you would think all of those towns were 80% Hispanic based on that. Actually, I respect that. I don't like to sit at home, either.

Every zoo in Texas is that way, I think. I've been to the ones in Dallas, Ft Worth, and Tyler and you would think all of those towns were 80% Hispanic based on that. Actually, I respect that. I don't like to sit at home, either.

I agree with you there as well. Nice to see so many doing stuff as a family.

It's not that there were a lot of Hispanic families at Lake Atalanta Park... it's just that there were only Hispanics there... seriously. I've been to Lake Atalanta on weekends when there were a good mix of nationalities there, but this was just a little disturbing. I'm all for ethnic diversity, but how is being the only english-speaking people at a park ethnically diverse?

It's not that there were a lot of Hispanic families at Lake Atalanta Park... it's just that there were only Hispanics there... seriously. I've been to Lake Atalanta on weekends when there were a good mix of nationalities there, but this was just a little disturbing. I'm all for ethnic diversity, but how is being the only english-speaking people at a park ethnically diverse?

I wonder if this is more of a case of other people avoiding places where Hispanics are going to.

I wonder if this is more of a case of other people avoiding places where Hispanics are going to.

I'm thinking the same thing. Honestly though Lake Atalanta was packed like sardines in a can on Easter Sunday, so it may just be Hispanic families got there early enough to dominate the park. I had taken my family and some friends to both Park Springs Park in Bentonville and Lake Atalanta Park on Easter Sunday and both parks were packed. We ended up just using the park in my apartment complex which is actually bigger than both of those parks... and actually nicer I might add. I was just really hoping to let the kids play on the playground equipment at Lake Atalanta Park.

This might seem kind of strange, but Springdale got their special census numbers back a month or two ago, and according to the count they had approx 62000 people. The amazing thing is that over 20000 were hispanic. This makes Springdale 33% hispanic! That seems like a huge number to me. There are probably cities in south Texas or even southern California that have less than 33% hispanic.

An odd thing I found on the census, was that Hispanics are counted for other races as well.

Can anyone explain this for me?

If I'm understanding youe question correctly it's because Hispanic isn't a race. You can be Black and Hispanic also, it's just not Caucasian. Although for around here there probably aren't many Black Hispanics. But Hispanic is more of a cultural term not a racial term.

This might seem kind of strange, but Springdale got their special census numbers back a month or two ago, and according to the count they had approx 62000 people. The amazing thing is that over 20000 were hispanic. This makes Springdale 33% hispanic! That seems like a huge number to me. There are probably cities in south Texas or even southern California that have less than 33% hispanic.

Whoa... that is a huge percentage and no doubt will draw national attention. If it hasn't on a small scale already. I'd say Rogers is going to give Springdale a run for it's money though. But it'll be tough beating that number when cities close to the border have less.

I think it's time that FeatherFest should have a Hispanic sister festival... something really big and respectful of the Hispanic culture.

If I'm understanding youe question correctly it's because Hispanic isn't a race. You can be Black and Hispanic also, it's just not Caucasian. Although for around here there probably aren't many Black Hispanics. But Hispanic is more of a cultural term not a racial term.

It's just like when you fill out an application for whatever it asks if you're Hispanic/White or Hispanic/Other. I'm not really sure why it doesn't ask if you're White or White/Hispanic or just Hispanic/Other. It seems to mean that someone can't be White/Black or White/Asian. Ouch... now I'm confused.

Whoa... that is a huge percentage and no doubt will draw national attention. If it hasn't on a small scale already. I'd say Rogers is going to give Springdale a run for it's money though. But it'll be tough beating that number when cities close to the border have less.

I think it's time that FeatherFest should have a Hispanic sister festival... something really big and respectful of the Hispanic culture.

I think they tend to have a big Cinco de Mayo celebration in Springdale. A few years ago I thought they were making a big deal because they were able to bring in some musical performer that a lot of Hispanics actually knew. But I certainly wouldn't be opposed to having another festival as well.

May 1st, 2006: The Day Without a Mexican

That's the popular title being text-messaged around the country about the coming boycotts the Hispanic people will particitpating in this coming Saturday. It's coming to ourneighborhood too. "Organizers are planning grassroots events Monday in Springdale, Little Rock, Fort Smith and De Queen. The demonstrations are in response to a national call to show immigrants

May 1st, 2006: The Day Without a Mexican

That's the popular title being text-messaged around the country about the coming boycotts the Hispanic people will particitpating in this coming Saturday. It's coming to ourneighborhood too. "Organizers are planning grassroots events Monday in Springdale, Little Rock, Fort Smith and De Queen. The demonstrations are in response to a national call to show immigrants

I admit I can see demonstrations like this backfiring. It certainly didn't help at the very beginning of all of this when there were actual people going around with Mexican flags. Just as a little sidenote many of the Arkansas cities are asking Hispanics to not buy anything that day either. Although that apparently isn't being requested at every city. It doesn't sound like Little Rock is asking for anything like that.

Archived