Arkansas Food and Cuisine

Mith242

Yeah another odd topic from me, surprise surprise. :D I was wanting to know what people thought a traditional Arkansas meal would consist of. I was also wondering if anyone knew of any food that mifght be considered at least somewhat unique to Arkansas. Not sure if there's anything that would be totally unique just to Arkansas though. I know of one dish I was curious to see if other people had heard anything about. Maybe it's because I have many relatives from the Stuttgart area, but I know of a dish that doesn't seem to be very common. But you take rice put a little sugar and cinnamon on it and pour milk over it. maybe almost like a hot cereal although I think some of my relatives wouldn't reserve it just to a breakfast food. And what about Rotel? I don't think it's even made in Arkansas but I've heard Rotel is rather popular in Arkansas and Texas and isn't found in other areas of the country. I know a lot of people that will make a dip of velveeta and a can of Rotel. Anyone have any unusual dishes or of any 'traditional' foods of Arkansas?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mashed potatoes are just mashed up...creamed potatoes are creamed in a food processor or with a blender.

I guess everyone I know just uses the term mashed potatoes for either. I know relatives that use a blender and such but call them mashed potatoes.

I think creamed potatoes is a dish of the south...most areas just mash up the boiled potatoes and stir in ingredients...in the south, we like to cream them up with butter and milk.

Coming from PB, I can't believe you've never heard of creamed potatoes

Are creamed potatoes like mashed potatoes? And Nate you're from an area that uses rice a lot, ever heard of a rice dish like the one I mentioned earlier?

I've always viewed creamed potatoes as being a little bit saucier than mashed potatoes, but they are very similar.

I've never heard of a rice dish you mentioned above. That sounds very interesting though.

And as for Rotel, I am a huge fan of using it along with Velveeta to make cheese dip. :D

I believe where some of my family lives in Chico,Texas, which is around 80 miles northwest of Fort Worth, Rotel is very popular as well.

I've been a little surprised catfish hasn't been mentioned. Although maybe that's not much of a 'traditional' food I've also wondered it fried catfish is more prevalent in the eastern or southeastern part of the state compared to others. I don't think you see catfish as much in NWA as other areas of the state. I'm not sure about the rest of the Ozarks.

And as for Rotel, I am a huge fan of using it along with Velveeta to make cheese dip. :D

I believe where some of my family lives in Chico,Texas, which is around 80 miles northwest of Fort Worth, Rotel is very popular as well.

Maybe Rotel is big in the midsouth. Just seems like I've heard people not being able to get it in other areas of the country.

I've heard it said that cheese dip is the specialty cuisine in Little Rock. I think there's some truth to that, I can count twenty restaurants with cheese dip better than the best I've had in DFW.

Fried chicken is definitely NWA's specialty.

Ever heard of chocolate gravy? I've never seen it outside of rural North-Central Arkansas.

I love Okra, it's a great Arkansan Food.

What about Pork and Catfish?

Fish in general, but especially catfish is definitely an arkansas cuisine.

People don't even care how much mercury is in them....they eat it like it's going out of style.

Especailly in South Arkansas, Catfish is always cookin'. There's a catfish pay pond in Leola (Grant County)

that just recently put in a restaurant. We're talking, in the sticks...rural as it gets...but people drive in from all over central and south arkansas and say it's the best catfish they've ever had. I'll have to take their word for it...I don't like fish either. Yes, I'm picky. :D

I think I've got some sitting in the fridge right now :lol:

I read some fact sheet about Little Rock earlier last year that said LR has the highest per capita Velveeta cheese consumption of any city in the country.

Archived