Columbia's Health

The_sandlapper

I posted this in the southern USA forum but i thought it would be note worthy here as well.

Anyway in Men's Health Columbia is listed as the 46th healthiest city in the US with a C+ overall rating. Now I know a C+ is good enough to graduate but I was really impressed with there quality of life rating of A. That's higher than #3 Austin, and on point with Raleigh which recieved an A- for quality of life. I guess not having tons of sprawl is paying off in that dept. Anyway I wonder if Men's Health factored in the Greenway. I mean howmany cities can you go Kayaking in. Just another example of how Clum is on the up and up! :thumbsup:

Any thoughts?

For further info see Feb. 2006 Men's Health.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Columbia always gets rave reviews for quality of life rankings. I would also think that Columbia has a TON of parks for a city its size. But I'm actually surprised that Columbia was listed; in the past when Men's Health would create those types of lists, it seemed like the cities listed all had municipal populations of at least 200,000; that's the only reason I could think of why SC's major cities weren't listed. Maybe the magazine is using metro populations now?

Well, Columbia always gets rave reviews for quality of life rankings. I would also think that Columbia has a TON of parks for a city its size. But I'm actually surprised that Columbia was listed; in the past when Men's Health would create those types of lists, it seemed like the cities listed all had municipal populations of at least 200,000; that's the only reason I could think of why SC's major cities weren't listed. Maybe the magazine is using metro populations now?

I read the article also and figure they used cities with populations of 100,000 or more.

The factors they considered in the quality of life ranking were income, education, housing and commuting numbers from the Census Bureau, along with crime stats from the FBI and the latest air quality report from the American Lung Association.

Archived