Black residents flocking to City's suburbs

Newnan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes LC there have been. There have always been plenty of blacks in Coweta County, but the number is increasing these days. Remember the thread about Atlanta's black percentage decreasing?

Quite honestly....and I don't mean this in a negative way....but I don't think the growth that is fueling John Wieland have not one but three neighborhoods from the $500's in a concentrated area of West Cascade is being fueled by the people being displaced from the inner city of Atlanta. I'm not saying the title of the thread or the initial article is wrong but to me I feel it says more about the poor to working class being forced into the city's suburbs because they can't afford to live intown. This poor or working class populace just happens to be mostly black because of much of south Atlanta had such a high black population.

I wonder where this populace is going? Anyway, there was an article years ago about blacks moving to the suburbs so that's only why I questioned it because I thought this had already began to occur....years ago.

It's all semantics though....sorry I mentioned it.

I feel it says more about the poor to working class being forced into the city's suburbs because they can't afford to live intown.

This is actually what occurs in older more established urban areas. Look at the recent riots near Paris - the inner core is where the affluent live, the suburbs are full of those horrible Le Corbusier urban housing projects. Atlanta may be finally changing to be more like these cities. Though, it has a long way to go.

Another thing that has been mentioned, it that the large housing projects in Atlanta (where there were HIGH concentrations of poverty and crime) are being demolished. Perry Homes, Techwood, and Captial Homes are all being re-developed as mixed income communties. These projects were, unfortunately, almost 100% black and are now becoming more racially mixed. The new developments are also less dense, which is off-setting the boom in population going into the new condos in Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead. That is why the overall citiy population figures aren't going to rise as fast as one would think.

Overall, I thinik the trends are good. The projects, with the concentrations of crime and poverty, help no one. Providing housing assistance on a more distributed scale has a better chance of being sucessful. Additionally, we all benefit from having more diverse communities. Hopefully we can avoid all of these areas gentrifying too rapidly. There need to be areas of town where working class folks can live.

This is actually what occurs in older more established urban areas. Look at the recent riots near Paris - the inner core is where the affluent live, the suburbs are full of those horrible Le Corbusier urban housing projects. Atlanta may be finally changing to be more like these cities. Though, it has a long way to go.

Another thing that has been mentioned, it that the large housing projects in Atlanta (where there were HIGH concentrations of poverty and crime) are being demolished. Perry Homes, Techwood, and Captial Homes are all being re-developed as mixed income communties. These projects were, unfortunately, almost 100% black and are now becoming more racially mixed. The new developments are also less dense, which is off-setting the boom in population going into the new condos in Downtown, Midtown, and Buckhead. That is why the overall citiy population figures aren't going to rise as fast as one would think.

Overall, I thinik the trends are good. The projects, with the concentrations of crime and poverty, help no one. Providing housing assistance on a more distributed scale has a better chance of being sucessful. Additionally, we all benefit from having more diverse communities. Hopefully we can avoid all of these areas gentrifying too rapidly. There need to be areas of town where working class folks can live.

It all seems to be coming together now!

Archived