Dave's East Tour Part 3

it's just dave

Part 3 and last one, I promise.

East Literature Magnet School, formerlly East Nashville High School. Oprah's ala mater. Mom's alma mater. The schools and the Library (coming up) and the Presbyterian Church will all surround a massive park/roundabout someday.

EastLitMagnet.jpg

Eastland Avenue. The yellow craftsman house is new, built by one man. Sold for $300+

EastlCrafts.jpg

Interesting house next to Ross School.

Dutch.jpg

Downtown, dead ahead.

DtnAhead.jpg

One of the houses that started it all. Charlie Williams, a local attorney, moved his family into this house over 25 years ago. It took guts, lots of guts. True pioneer.

CharliesHouse.jpg

The back of Charlie's house up the hill.

Charlie2.jpg

The Cates House. Or that's who lived there when Mom lived down the street. I think a designer owns it now.

CateHouse.jpg

East Nashville Carnegie Library. Fully restored. Across from East High.

CarnegieLibrary.jpg

Former duplex. Recently converted to single family. Sold last year: $410k. Forrest Avenue, methinks.

BrickDupl.jpg

Worth another look.

Boscobel1.jpg

Boscobel Street

Bosco.jpg

One of everyone's favorites. Former home of Mayor Bill Boner. Doesn't seem right, does it? One thing to remember when you see these large old homes in Edgefield. These are just the ones that are left. I believe on Christmas Even, 1916, over 700 homes and buildings in this neighborhood burned to the ground. Can you only imagine had that tragedy not happened? Makes me want to cry.

Boner.jpg

Bailey Middle School, across from the Cate House. In 1931, a major tornado collapsed the columns that adorned the front of this school. No, I missed that one.

Bailey.jpg

A little TLC on this one would place you on the edge of the Shelby Golf Course.

AtGolfCourse.jpg

Fatherland (?) apartment house.

AptHouse.jpg

More Forrest Rehabs.

AlleyRehab.jpg

The 60s was very cruel sometimes.

60sMistake.jpg

18th St. I believe.

17th.jpg

15th.

15thSt.jpg

14th approach to Woodland with Lipstick and Radio Cafe.

14thWoodland.jpg

14th

14thStreet.jpg

One of many, many old churches.

13thChurch.jpg

13th

13th.jpg

11th one block from Five Points, across the street from Fatherland Baptist

11thSt.jpg

And sometimes, you just have to have a beer. Market at Shelby and 14th.

4-WayMkt.jpg

Okay, that's it. Sorry I took so much space, but, what the heck. Hope you guys (and visitors) enjoyed the intimate look around one of the city's most popular neighborhoods. The next five years will be extraordianary. Long live conservation overlays!

Night.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a street of two mis-labled and a date or two wrong. I did find something interesting about the tornados. I thought, 1931, but it was 1933 and a doozy. Here's an interesting recap. Sounds eerily familiar to 1998 (I was a year off earlier). It makes these 75 degree January days (no matter how odd), quite suspect. I actually was quite worried when the temp hit 75 on Monday. This could happen like in 33.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bna/research/bnator33.htm

One of everyone's favorites. Former home of Mayor Bill Boner. Doesn't seem right, does it? One thing to remember when you see these large old homes in Edgefield. These are just the ones that are left. I believe on Christmas Even, 1916, over 700 homes and buildings in this neighborhood burned to the ground. Can you only imagine had that tragedy not happened? Makes me want to cry.

At least that was an unfortunate and unintended disaster. It makes me cringe the man-made needless destruction of historic structures in the downtown area itself, the hundreds of beautiful 19th century mansions and townhouses (including the original Governor's mansion and a stunning block of buildings where the War Memorial Building stands). Now that really makes me sick. :(

Awesome tour, Dave. When I got out of college and was first looking to move out of my parents place, I dreamed of living in East Nashville. I went on a couple of reconnaissance missions through the area but was unable to find a place at the time. I can't wait for some photos of the not so rehabbed areas. The great thing about it is, they're all mixed in, section 8 quadplex/300,000 cottage. That Italian villa-type place is incredible. I went on a walking tour with my mom and sister a while ago and got to go on the grounds of it and peer into some of the windows; it's pretty damn cool. And although it's really unfortunate that the east side has been through some disastrous events and we all wish we could see what it was like, just think how much different all of Nashville would be if those events didn't take place. It boggles the mind.

Archived