Florida has Nation's Best Highway

Florida

I-75-Thru Florida is named best Highway in America.

This study compares the actual condition of the road itself, in terms of pot holes, cracks, dips, and so on.

Here's the article

01123604.jpg

The best highway in the United States is:

1. I-75 in Florida

2. I-40 in Tennessee

3. I-10 in Texas

The states with the best roads are:

1. Texas

2. Florida

3. Tennessee

4. Georgia and Ohio (tie)

5. Nevada and Virginia (tie)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, don't think of these things as negative. I just came back from Florida for vacation with my wife, and it really opened my eyes into how different things are in FL when compared to where we are in SC. The roads here need significant improvement (interstates included) and the drivers in this state are deplorable compared to FL's. I have to say that my drive along I-4 and I-95 in FL was, believe it or not, relaxing, in comparison to the morons I encounter on I-95, I-26, and I-20 in SC!

The widening of the highways throughout FL really has opened things up for travelers going in and out of the state. Even the construction areas weren't as hair-raising as driving on some sections of SC interstate!

why do people bash bush so much? it borders on ridiculous that whatever goes wrong in fl as a result of current circumstances or older issues it is bush's fault. the first highways built in florida were constructed during Kennedy's term i believe. and just because the highways in fl are nice does not mean anything in particular.

notice that fl and texas are both large and quickly growing states, so of course there are going to be highway projects and upkeep no matter who is governor

And just to add something, I agree with those on this discussion who agree that having nice roads is not a bad thing in any way and that nice roads only help the burgeoning tourism industry.

Why the hell does everything have to be political, some people sometimes just sound ridiculous when they turn such light things as highway discussion into bush bashing or anybody bashing politics!!!

I for one was rather surprised by this ranking. Now I do think that I-75 starting at the GA state line is nice and wide, but after the Turnpike split to I-275 in the TPA area, I-75 stinks. It definitely needs another lane there. Also I find when I'm in California, I notice how superior their freeway system is to ours here in FL. Have any of you tried to get across FL, not using I-4 or I-75, it's damn near impossible in a timely matter. Good for I-75, but I'm not convinced FL has better freeways over all. Have any of these people ever traveled I-4 in Orlando or I-95 in South Florida?

Best ranking in Texas and Florida? Well if it "walks like a duck and looks like a duck.........."

why do people bash bush so much? it borders on ridiculous that whatever goes wrong in fl as a result of current circumstances or older issues it is bush's fault. the first highways built in florida were constructed during Kennedy's term i believe. and just because the highways in fl are nice does not mean anything in particular.

Actually Kennedy had nothing to do with it. The current Interstate system was authorized and funded by the National Highway act of 1956 during President Eisenhower's - R term. (which he spear headed) This is why it is referred to as the Eisenhower Interstate System. This act also created the National Highway Trust fund, where the states are heavily taxed (via gasoline taxes) which the Federal Govt. collects then disburses back to the states.

This movement of tax money gives the Federal government control over the states that it would not otherwise have in the constitution. For example in 1973 President Nixon - R imposed a 55 mph max speed limit on all roads and states that did not comply with the request would have their highway funds cut off. I believe it was Nixon who first used the Highway trust fund as a stick on the states.

It should be noted that the building of the Interstate system is vastly responsible for the now almost complete dependence on the automobile in the USA for most travel. Train travel has mostly disappeared and where it does exist, it is an embarrasment when compared to systems in almost any other modern country in the world.

So as you see it is always political. Road building is in itself a type of social engineering.

• 2 weeks later...

metro,

you have single handedly changed my mind (not negative or insult in any way)...way to go! so I got my president wrong, but I still hold firm in my belief that some intracity highways are necessary and beneficial if controlled and planned properly. Where would southern cities be today without highways in them? That is a topic of debate that I think I might post in a new thread. But anyway...

I agree with your statement to some extent. But I'll also say the interstates that run through many southern cities have lead to the decay of certain communities. I do not want to name any city in particular, but I will say there is a certain place along I-10 in Alabama that is very unattractive and suffers from pollution much to the credit of the 10 lane I-10 that runs through. Now its not the entire city, but there is a major stretch that has been damaged

Where would southern cities be without interstates? Definately much smaller and cleaner... but we could say that about any part of the country.

Florida does not deal with cold weather on a regular basis like the northern states go through. The engineering on FL Highways are done exceptionally well too. These two critical attributes are the reason FL Highways are one of the best in the nation. While the FL gas tax is pretty high, you are getting what you paid for!

Throw in a thawing season, contractors who dont give a damn about diong the job right the first time, NIMBYism influence and mis-management of highway funds, you get one of the worst highways in the nation!

Archived