Wikipedia

gs3

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read through the Greenville Wikipedia site, and really enjoyed it. It seems to be the best source for a good overview of Greenville.

I found the following information regarding city population density to be quite interesting:

Greenville: 829.4/km^2

Columbia: 384.7/km^2

Charleston: 358.5/km^2

:thumbsup:

I just read through the Greenville Wikipedia site, and really enjoyed it. It seems to be the best source for a good overview of Greenville.

I found the following information regarding city population density to be quite interesting:

Greenville: 829.4/km^2

Columbia: 384.7/km^2

Charleston: 358.5/km^2

:thumbsup:

<_< Again, Wiki seems to have some "facts" that need to be re-evaluated. Check those stats again...I'm not sure where they got that, but Chas has been rated as the densest city in the state. Spartan even showed this in one of the Chas forum posts, and that was from census reports.

<_< Again, Wiki seems to have some "facts" that need to be re-evaluated. Check those stats again...I'm not sure where they got that, but Chas has been rated as the densest city in the state. Spartan even showed this in one of the Chas forum posts, and that was from census reports.

Because Greenville is only 26 square miles compared to Charleston's 100+ square miles its(Greenville) going to be denser unless they expand Greenville's way undersized city limits.

Because Greenville is only 26 square miles compared to Charleston's 100+ square miles its(Greenville) going to be denser unless they expand Greenville's way undersized city limits.

OK, but what about urban area? This issue was discussed before, and Chas came out edging Cola with the largest UA in terms of population. I'm just saying that I'm confused. Wiki shows G'ville as the densest city, yet the numbers given in the forum show Chas as the densest.

According to the US Census

Density (people/sq mile)

Charleston City = 996

Greenville Cty = 2148

Columbia City = 928

Charleston County = 337

Greenville County = 480

Richland County = 423

Wouldn't Columbia be more because there are 117000 people living in 45+ square miles of Columbia's city limits...Nobody lives on Ft. Jacksonw hich adds like 80 square miles...So Columbia's would be more like 2600

Thank you for posting those stats, straight from the U.S. Census, monsoon. So to summarize...

Greenville County is the most populated county in SC, as well as the county with the highest population density. And the City of Greenville is the most densely populated city in SC. Nice. 8)

I wondered how long it would take for Fort Jackson to make an appearance!

Thank you for posting those stats, straight from the U.S. Census, monsoon. So to summarize...

Greenville County is the most populated county in SC, as well as the county with the highest population density. And the City of Greenville is the most densely populated city in SC. Nice. 8)

I wondered how long it would take for Fort Jackson to make an appearance!

That's like adding 80 square miles too Greenville which not one soul lives on...What would that give Greenville 2 ppl per square mile :w00t:

It's a shame you can't count all that endangered wildlife in and around Fort Jackson towards the population statistics.

That's OK....when the pentagon and senate finally close Fort Jackson, it can be developed into a densely-populated master-planned community and things will change :silly:

Back on topic...which one of you uploaded my photos to Wikipedia? :ph34r:

(Just kidding...I don't mind.) :lol:

That's OK....when the pentagon and senate finally close Fort Jackson, it can be developed into a densely-populated master-planned community and things will change :silly:

Oh, that was below the belt.... <_<

But seriously, old military bases represent huge urban opportunities for cities. Noisette in Charleston is one example.

Oh, that was below the belt.... <_<

But seriously, old military bases represent huge urban opportunities for cities. Noisette in Charleston is one example.

Absolutely! That's precisely why I cited it.

It seems inevitable that base closings will continue to happen and Fort Jackson is seemingly a perennial name on the list of prospects for closing. A base such as Fort Jackson, with its proximity to a major city, is an excellent redevelopment opportunity. Another example of this is the old Naval Training Center in Orlando, Florida. It is being redeveloped into what is now Baldwin Park.

Archived