Wikipedia

gs3

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Columbia is @44 sq mi, and Fort J is @84 sq mi. According to CMCOG, Columbia had 120,371 residents in October 2004. This number includes the 12-15k people who are living on Fort J at any given time. If we use 121,000 for Jan 2006, we get @945 people/sq mi. If we exclude FJ's 84 sq miles and @13K people, we have @108,000 in Columbia proper. 108000/44=@2455 people/sq mile.

Anyone else see the IRONY in these density and population fiqures????

Columbia is trying to SUBTRACT square miles to have more density and Greenville is trying to ADD more square miles to show off it's population! :P Who cares?????

Figures mean absolutely nothing as they can be skewed depending on the metric being used and the benchmark trying to be obtained. We all learned that in Economics 101. Greenville will skew them one way, Columbia one way and Charleston yet another.

What matters is simply QUALITY OF LIFE!

I agree. The qualitative value "quality of life" means the most to all of us; however, I am a "numbers person" and enjoy evaluating data in a number of different quantitative measures. I also realize some people don't care anything about numbers, and that's fine, too. Numbers just make a lot of sense to me, in general, and it's fun playing around with figures. The overriding fact is that there are no truly LARGE cities, urban areas, CBDs, counties, etc. in SC no matter how you manipulate the data, but it's still fun.

What would we do if we didn't have the fine people of Columbia here to remind us that Fort Jackson negatively affects Columbia's city population as well as its density? :rofl:

From now on, if someone mentions Fort Jackson in relation to population statistics, we should respond with old news headlines like:

"Kennedy Shot!"

"Nixon resigns!"

"Man lands on moon!"

Etc. ;)

I like that! And from this point forward, when someone mentions how Greenville is really a city of 200,000 were it not for the antiquated, anti-city annexation laws in place, we should light up the whole Southern sky with news flashes such as "Washington Elected First President of New Republic" or "Franklin Discovers Electricity after Being Told to 'Go Fly a Kite'" or maybe "The War is Over...Take the Stupid Flag Down Already!"

I agree. The qualitative value "quality of life" means the most to all of us; however, I am a "numbers person" and enjoy evaluating data in a number of different quantitative measures. I also realize some people don't care anything about numbers, and that's fine, too. Numbers just make a lot of sense to me, in general, and it's fun playing around with figures. The overriding fact is that there are no truly LARGE cities, urban areas, CBDs, counties, etc. in SC no matter how you manipulate the data, but it's still fun.

I do understand numbers people and how that can be fun! :D I agree with you Robtex.

I simply find it hysterical to sit back and watch Greenvillians come up with ways to increase their population and Columbians scramble around and try to find ways to shrink their city limits. You gotta say thats pretty funny! :D It's so polar opposite! Kinda like two men in a boat, one scooping water out and the other scooping water in. :D

Yeah, it is rather humorous, gsupstate. Kinda sad, too. It all comes down to the same point: South Carolinians trying so hard to impress the true size and feel of their communities...because they MUST try hard. All the figures require "further explanation." I always hate it when someone in Dallas asks me how big Greenville or Columbia is...you know, the average Joe type. He's not asking about the "Urban Area" or "the contiguous area >1250 people/sq mile" or "the population within a 2.786 mile radius of the city center." He just wants to know the city's population. That's what most people can relate to, and that's exactly the number that no South Carolinian wants to give!!

You are right! Because that number doesn't reflect the true size of the city. Its like lying to people. What if someone wants to be in a city that feels and is smaller than 60,000? They would be disappointed moving to a city whose population shows 56,000 but is really a lot bigger, because that was not truly what they were looking for.

I'm sure such questions about municipal populations can really backfire on cities with city-county consolidations. It's like someone not familiar with the United States (or Florida) at all asks, "Which city in Florida is the largest?" "Why Jacksonville, of course," someone answers. So the visitor visits Jacksonville, then visits Miami. Afterwards he remarks, "Something is amiss." ;)

Personally, I think Rock Hill feels somewhat like a city of ~60,000. This is because it is one of the few (if not the only) SC cities able to capture at least half of its urbanized area population. That contrast between SC cities and NC cities is like night and day.

Yeah, it is rather humorous, gsupstate. Kinda sad, too. It all comes down to the same point: South Carolinians trying so hard to impress the true size and feel of their communities...because they MUST try hard. All the figures require "further explanation." I always hate it when someone in Dallas asks me how big Greenville or Columbia is...you know, the average Joe type. He's not asking about the "Urban Area" or "the contiguous area >1250 people/sq mile" or "the population within a 2.786 mile radius of the city center." He just wants to know the city's population. That's what most people can relate to, and that's exactly the number that no South Carolinian wants to give!!

Even with Charleston's aggressive annexations, I agree, people still don't get how big the city really is. Combine that with the fact that N. Chas, which is essentially the natural, northern extension of Chas, takes a large chunk of what would be in the city, and there are still 50,000 people in unicorporated areas West Ashley and on James Island.

Bottomline, Chas is technically a city of about 250,000 people, yet people only see what the road maps, such as Rand McNally, publish. They see G'ville and Chas as small cities because of the census figures. This is why all of us push HARD for people to see how big our city truly is because these cities are still being hindered by state government idiots such as Glenn McConnell.

This is the only state that has problems with this....I think even South Dakota largest city is bigger than Columbia (city limit population) and that is truly sad. Even when I look at google earth all other cities in this country, their urban areas are within city limits...Then every city in SC I look at half if not more of the urban areas are outside the city limits and just mostly apart of the county

I think it would be a fun collaborative project for the forum to make our Wikipedia page a really great page (info, pictures, etc.). What can we do to make it really pop?

I added the information about population density, as I think it is important to note since the city limit is so small. I think some pictures from RT's flickr site would liven it up a bit (hint, hint). ;)

What other ways do you guys think the site could be improved? Here's the link again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenville%2C_SC

It's a beautiful night to fly a kite.....yeah, I think I'll go out and fly a kite........ :silly:

Any of our better photos would be nice, if the owners are willing to allow them to be posted on Wikipedia. A focus on the downtown and international interests would be great. :thumbsup:

You can use anything I've posted on UP. :thumbsup:

A picture is literally worth a thousand words.

Exactly! These arbitrary political lines like city and county boundaries do not accurately portray density. Greenville can claim to be the densest city all it ones, but all it takes is one visit to Charleston and you will see that is fasle. Here are my density maps of our 4 largest cities for reference:

CharlestonDensity.jpg

ColumbiaDensity.jpg

GreenvilleDensity.jpg

SpartanburgDensity.jpg

I think it would be a fun collaborative project for the forum to make our Wikipedia page a really great page (info, pictures, etc.). What can we do to make it really pop?

I added the information about population density, as I think it is important to note since the city limit is so small. I think some pictures from RT's flickr site would liven it up a bit (hint, hint). ;)

What other ways do you guys think the site could be improved? Here's the link again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenville%2C_SC

Great idea Greenville! :thumbsup: I'm game!

One thing could definitely be improved is the history section. It's currently very short, and has nothing of our more modern history (the 50's, 60's). Makes no mention of Greenville's past as "The Textile Capital of the World", etc.

Exactly! These arbitrary political lines like city and county boundaries do not accurately portray density. Greenville can claim to be the densest city all it ones, but all it takes is one visit to Charleston and you will see that is fasle.

So are you suggesting that we put an asterisk/disclaimer next to the published population density data for SC cities and counties, noting that Greenville isn't really the most dense city and county, despite the facts? :rolleyes:

Breaking news folks- Spartanburg is the 2nd most dense city in South Carolina! And you thought it was Charleston... for shame...

Density (people/sq mile)

Greenville Cty = 2148

Spartanburg City = 2066

Charleston City = 996

Columbia City = 928

I'm confused Spartan, first you said Greenville wasn't the most dense city in South Carolina but according to this it is. So, is Greenville the most dense city in South Carolina?

Archived