Wikipedia

gs3

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have any of you guys made additions/editions to Greenville's page? It pales in comparison to Charleston's and Columbia's.

We have to be careful that we don't "misrepresent" Greenville. I have never seen such an uproar over facts in my entire life. God forbid anyone state facts like:

• Greenville is the most densely-populated city (because Charleston really is!)

• Greenville is the most densely-populated county (because Urbanized Area is much more accurate!)

• Greenville is the most populated county (because it has an unfair advantage since is such a large land area!)

As for why I haven't worked on it, I have been busy and have not thought about it. It certainly needs some work, though.

We have to be careful that we don't "misrepresent" Greenville. I have never seen such an uproar over facts in my entire life. God forbid anyone state facts like:
  • Greenville is the most densely-populated city (because Charleston really is!)

• Greenville is the most densely-populated county (because Urbanized Area is much more accurate!)

• Greenville is the most populated county (because it has an unfair advantage since is such a large land area!)

As for why I haven't worked on it, I have been busy and have not thought about it. It certainly needs some work, though.

I'm not talking about the technicalities; all that stuff doesn't make for an exciting Greenville entry. I'm talking about the stuff that REALLY matters, because in the end, no one is going to form a positive opinion about Greenville simply because it is the most densely populated municipality in the state.

I think one problem with the Greenville entry is that too much information is in separate articles being linked from the main page. And the history section is rather scant as well.

I made some small, but important additions, and there is more to come, I assure you. :thumbsup:

Great! :thumbsup: I like that we have the Greater Greenville link....the cities website is one that is FAR superior to any other I've ever seen. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Well, I for one will step up and admit I was the one who originally reformated Greenville's Wikipedia page back in November 2004. I was also the one who reformatted my hometown page Birmingham, and I basically used Birmingham as the templated to reformat Greenville to a true city page. I have always had a special place in my heart for Greenville and the entire Upstate. And yes Rested Traveler, I'm the one who used your pics to give viewers a view of Greenville's skyline. I find Greenville a very intriging place because on the books it's only 58,000, but in reality it is about the size of the city of Knoxville. Although I live in Birmingham, but I have family in Mauldin. I am very familiar with the Upstate. The Upstate is a very impressive region. I think the reason why I am so intriged with SC is because it has some much in common with Alabama. Alabama and South Carolina are both between 4 to 5 million in population (although Alabama is bigger), both have 4 major urban areas (SC: GSP, Columbia, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach and AL: Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile, and Montgomery), and both have restrictive laws that inhibit progress of their urban areas (SC: strict annexation rules, AL: little to no home rule and strict zoning laws).

I noticed one thing, it says that Greenville is home to the Headquarters of BMW North America. While we have a factory, I think the Headquarters are in New Jersey.

According to this link from Expansion Management Online, our BMW is the North American headquarters:

"The crown jewel of the South Carolina auto industry is the BMW plant near Spartanburg. The plant, which began operations in 1994, is the sole manufacturer of BMW's Z3 Roadster. In addition to being BMW's North American headquarters, it is also the company's only non-European manufacturing plant."

EDIT: You can't believe everything you read on the internet. The above link was from 1997 (which is evidently important), because according to BMW's site, their North American headquarters are in Woodcliff Lake, NJ:

http://www.bmwusa.com/about/default

Perhaps we can convince them to move their headquarters to downtown Greenville. Wouldn't that make for an iconic skyscraper? :thumbsup:

If BMW did, then maybe Michelin would... Hmmm... We need UP-ers to take a trip to NJ. I mean, we've got experience convincing people to move to Greenville. How hard could a headquarters be? :lol:

We're not talking much when it comes to the number of personnel for their North American HQ. It's basically the place that's home to the set of books that covers U.S. sales operations. It's not like there are teams of engineers designing vehicles and handling technical issues or many other company-owned sites to manage and oversee. This would be a very, very empty skyscraper we're talking about if they were to move downtown. I'm not sure what the economic impact would be, but let's just say that the Hubbell Lighting project would make it seem puny. And for what? Greenville is still home to BMW's only North American production facility. So Woodcliff Lake has a spartan sales office. I'm pretty sure the BMW plant has more executives and white collar positions than Woodcliff Lake does. And, apart from -- perhaps -- an extra copier salesman, a donut shop and 1 or 2 school teachers, the secondary jobs created by the Woodcliff Lake headquarters are basically nil.

Remember when North Carolina lost the Mercedes plant to Alabama? That was a loss for North Carolina, right? Wrong. First of all, North Carolina didn't spend a budget-crushing incentives package that has plagued Alabama. And the parent company, DaimlerChrysler, has since built the equivalent manufacturing capacity in North Carolina, together with training and educational facilities, except for less glamorous trucks under the Freightliner brand (headquartered in Portland). With only a fraction of what the state would have spent for the Mercedes plant. And, it was only because NC didn't get the Mercedes plant that the job market was such that it could serve the Freightliner expansions. Not so glamorous. And not all in one fell swoop. But when you look at the overall economic impact, even without considering the boondoggle Alabama dished out to "beat" North Carolina, you can see that NC was at least as well off for not getting the Mercedes plant. The press releases just weren't as flashy and splashy, that's all. (If I've posted this before, accept my apologies. It's one of my favorite economic development tales as I've worked for Daimler on plant expansions and site selection and sometimes not selecting a city is granting them a big favor, even if the immediate response among officials is to feel like they let a prize catch get away and they didn't accomplish the immediate objective they were attempting to accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived