Carolina Hurricanes

Every time I start to think this town is growing up a bit I see something like this happen and I just shake my head. :(

Well said. I mean I know we're not a major city but if the dang local government won't even show a little support for our wonderful team who will? Maybe they should start thinking of ways that would really excite the people in this area and stop thinking about the easiest way to do this. Sorry I've started ramblling.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said. I mean I know we're not a major city but if the dang local government won't even show a little support for our wonderful team who will? Maybe they should start thinking of ways that would really excite the people in this area and stop thinking about the easiest way to do this. Sorry I've started ramblling.

Actually, I think of Raleigh as a major city (at least an up and coming major city). That aside, you are correct. A local government should always rally around world events happening within our own city. Perhaps some of the small minded people in our local government will be ousted in the near future!

I am so sick of everyone predicting that we are going to have a celebration. Can we win the dang on cup first??????? I am a huge sports fan and never have I seen anything like this. "Where should we celebrate"... we haven't even won yet. I wish the articles in newspapers and the talk on sports radio would just stop with celebration plans its really out of control.

I want all the fans that can be had. I want the regualr season games to sell out, the bars full of people watching the game on Monday nights against a WC team and such.

I agree. I'd like to get to the point that on a Saturday night in January, when there are no other local teams playing, and the only other sporting event on TV is a Portland/NJ NBA game, that I don't have to remind the bartender at 518, JK's, Armadillo, Applebees, etc that we have a Hurricanes game on TV instead. That irritates me so much. I'd love to see some Hurricanes neon beer signs in some of these bars, too. (This goes along with the show-up-on-a-Tuesday-night-to-see-us-play-Calgary improvements we want.)

The crowd at Game 5 was not bad, mind you, but they didn't do anything to make Edmonton's life worse. Loud just for being loud and repeating the same two cheers every 30 seconds for the entire night really just creates white noise and doesn't help or hurt either team. That's what we had in Game 5. I went to Ron Francis night and that night was magical. That crowd really did help the Canes. That's the kind of magic we need to bringg to the one of the biggest sporting events in North Carolina's history.

i dont think that people would be making such a big deal about it if they had just decided to have the celebration on glenwood south or hillsborough st.

cause now everyones arguing that it shouldnt be at the RBC parking lot, when they could have just said, "ok if we win we'll do it downtown somewhere, end of discussion." then everyone would just wait and after we win go celebrate like we do.

its just that the controversy appeals to the press and so they bury it in our heads that everyone should be offering their 2 cents and trying to plan a better celebration than 'raleigh's leaders'. (but i say, shoot, everyone just go wild wherever you are tonight, lets make the celebration after the game tonight THE celebration rather than waiting for a city-sanctioned punch, ice cream and cookie "party")

I am so sick of everyone predicting that we are going to have a celebration. Can we win the dang on cup first??????? I am a huge sports fan and never have I seen anything like this. "Where should we celebrate"... we haven't even won yet. I wish the articles in newspapers and the talk on sports radio would just stop with celebration plans its really out of control.

There will be a parade win or lose...we'd prefer to win!!! :yahoo:

With Raleigh officials doubting they can host a downtown parade should the Carolina Hurricanes bring home the Stanley Cup, a power play on behalf of one in Durham has been building.

After all, proponents say, the team is named for the entire state. And as long as the Capital City is dithering over whether and how to celebrate, the Bull City might as well charge ahead, they say.

The Hurricanes are open to a Durham event, said Matt West, the team's vice president of business operations, although it wasn't yet clear that it would be a parade or even necessarily downtown. Or even that there will be a championship to celebrate, for that matter.

"We would certainly like to do some type of celebration in Durham at an appropriate time," West said. "It's premature to talk about dates," he added. "We really just need to concentrate on the matter at hand and win the Stanley Cup. We don't want to put the cart before the horse."

Durham knows how to act like a real city

but i say, shoot, everyone just go wild wherever you are tonight, lets make the celebration after the game tonight THE celebration

That's what my Raleighing article was really addressing. The City needs to be prepared for a win. They need to designate an official post-game celebration area where there aren't parked cars and there are tons of police. When the city sits back and lets people just go wild wherever you get overturned cars, unmanagable crowds with glass bottles, fires, and not enough police involvement. It's not presumptuous to be prepared.

I think that Meeker and others in key positions in Raleigh are underestimating citizens' passion for this team and a win. That, to me, is scary.

ok kids, let it go, Raleigh will host a parade in or near the center city for the Canes. Also stop having faith because the team lost the last two. They have tonite to make it right. Plus they need our support for a win not a might win or a maybe win but dang it a win. GO CANES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

Right now, Monday afternoon, 1:52pm, I have a knot in my stomach about as big as a hockey puck.

Raleigh will shine tonight no matter what.....but I want the people of the US, Canada and the world to say "What a town !!! What winners !! I want to move, invest, visit, support that area !!!! "

Bring the cup to Raleigh !!! We have a place for it !!!

There are SO many factors with this game tonight:

* Fatigue

* Game 7 pressures

* Undisclosed injuries

* Home Ice Advantage

* Ward - has given up 6 of last 8 goals to his glove side high

* Pressure to win that 4th for Edmonton

* Erik Cole's shot aiming

* Officiating

* Playing from behind vs. getting 1st goal

* Pressure on Canes to not be one of the all-time chokers

...yet every person in the hockey media is picking Edmonton. There are too many parameters to truly predict this thing. The key for broacasters? Avoid cliches like the plague.

I'm a closet fan. Meaning I am so superstitous that if I want my team to win and I watch they lose. When the heels were playing Illinois my wife had to hide all of the pillows so I couldn't bury my head and not watch. When the Panthers played the Patriots I didn't watch until the second half. You guessed it they lost. Congrats to the first pro franchise to win the big game. The Panthers will be the second this year as long as I don't watch.

Archived