Carolina Hurricanes

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had an emergency to treat at my office after the game, so it just turned out to be really convenient to swing by the airport for the 2:20am landing of the team. There were maybe ???just under a thousand people out there??? I actually saw someone I knew, too! Very surprising.

I grew up being a huge NCSU basketball fan. David Thompson was my hero as a 4 year old (still is), and the '83 run was nothing short of magic. Looking back, it was remarkable that the Meredith girls all lined up on the Blue Ridge Road bridge to send off the '83 team to the Final Four (we just don't see that kind of neat stuff with UNC). It is also remarkable to think that they had a big public ceremony for the '74 team in North Hills Mall where hundreds of people turned out to congratulate the team.

I don't mean any slight to State when I say this, though, but it is just astounding that this hockey team has accomplished highs that are equivalent to State's in just a handful of years. That Staal putback against NDJ in '06 ranks as my favorite sports play I've ever seen live, and doggone if it isn't being threatened by a few moments in this run. Wow!

Canes are once again down 0-1. Ward probably should have saved at least one of the three goals, but I don't fault him for any 1-1 breakaways like Malkin's goal out of the box, where the defense lost track of the penalty time. The 2nd goal was arguably a bench mistake when they tried to make a change with the Pens still in neutral ice. That's going to be risky in this series with their skill and front line skating ability. What's up with Cole & Brind Amour? Neither has put up any points recently, but at least Cole is out there fore checking, but Rod seems MIA. He's not even winning that many face-offs.

As an aside, Mayor Meeker bet BBQ from the Pit & a case of Big Boss Beer if the Penguins win. Meeker also bet BBQ in 2006 when the Canes won the Cup. Hmmm... :D

I am OK with the game last night. I thought Cam was a little soft but hard to tell with the Malkin goal. Malkin is the **** and put Crosby there...what a force. I thought the Canes stopped them in the 2nd period and I was texting with a friend who is a Pens fan out in California and he was was nervous.

If the Canes can take Game 2, then they can roll back into the RBC.

Have my 2 tickets this weekend but due for a beach trip. Maybe go to the beach when this is all over. (Bet I could get $200 a piece for the Sat. Game on Ticketexchange)

Clean off the burnt Bear meat that was covered in Devil sauce off the portable grill. Nothing like a little Grilled Penguin on the grill this weekend. I hear it taste just like Chicken !!!! (Ovenchicken)

The Game 2 winner will win this series (as is the case 72% of the time).

What makes me not panic, though, is how much Fleury had to flail and do snow angels to keep us from winning 10-3. There is just no way he can keep that up for 300-400 minutes of hockey and still be effective. We just need to contain their two biggies. Like Game 6, I feel that goals 2 and 3 were goals that Cam stops on a really good night.

The Game 2 winner will win this series (as is the case 72% of the time).

What makes me not panic, though, is how much Fleury had to flail and do snow angels to keep us from winning 10-3. There is just no way he can keep that up for 300-400 minutes of hockey and still be effective. We just need to contain their two biggies. Like Game 6, I feel that goals 2 and 3 were goals that Cam stops on a really good night.

• 7 months later...

TWO WORDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taylor Hall

Will he play in Raleigh next year ? Maybe. But he scored a hat trick and a 2 goal game this past week for the Canadian Jr. Team. Raleigh needs a superstar since lazy $9M boy still lumbers around the ice wearing #12 hoping the puck comes his way.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hopefully the Hurricanes do get a local investor... I had heard in the past that Goodnight was a potential suitor. I hate seeing teams being run by someone that doesn't frequent or live in the city it resides (i.e. Bob Johnson).

Hopefully the Hurricanes do get a local investor... I had heard in the past that Goodnight was a potential suitor. I hate seeing teams being run by someone that doesn't frequent or live in the city it resides (i.e. Bob Johnson).

Archived