Carolina Hurricanes

BTW, Comparing raw attendance between the Bobcats and Hurricanes is a moot point because ticket prices are different and the two sports have a vastly different amount of media exposure. I do take back some of the intended impact of my statement. The Bobcats attendance was only a few hundred away from not being an issue. They ranked 22nd in the NBA in attendance with a team that ranked 26th on the court.

Good post.

Not to mention what happens to attendance when that "New Arena Smell" goes away.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be too blunt: I don't care about the Bobcats. I don't care about the NBA. The Triangle has 3 ACC teams which provide me with plenty to watch, thats in addition to my watching hockey (which gets my normal attention).

I imagine that Charlotteans don't care about hockey, as they have the Bobcats, and UNC-C Basketball.

Frankly both cities should be able to maintain support on their own, and I think they do, which is fantastic. What bothers me, is when I'm forced to watch a freakin Tennessee Titans game because I'm 'In their area'.

As far as the Hurricanes go, there is a ton of support here. The further they go along, the more people watch. The more people who watch, the more who become fans. I talk with people who are becoming converts, will they be here on a down year.... don't know, but they're here now.

Cam Ward is playing out of his mind. If he keeps it up, we'll be fine.

Just 2 more wins. Emerick and Davison actually talked about the population growth in the area as well as the downtown development-pretty funny.

I said to my wife,"Are they impressed or are they impressed?"

I also liked how the commentators just gave up on doing their pregame because the crowd was so loud. I have huge doubts about this 127dB business, though. My sound meter measured 118dB - that was from the 4th row just above where EDM comes out of the tunnel.

^ Yeah, they mentioned that we were building a new convention center and there was $2B being invested in DT. :thumbsup: I almost hope we make it back for a game 5 clincher, so they can pump up Raleigh on NBC, which should bring MUCH higher ratings than lowly OLN.

Good news. It looks like the Islanders hired Ted Nolan as their head coach. This was the team that seemed to want Laviolette and most likely the only team he would have left for. Karmanos says he will match any offer-which I hope he does.

Hey guys. I rarely post, but I read a few posts about the possibility of lighting downtown buildings in Red to show support for the Canes during the Stanley Cup. I thought this would be a great idea, so I contacted the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce. They have responded and forwarded the suggestion to their Sports Council Director...so maybe there is hope. I thought it couldn't hurt to ask..right? Go Canes!

Anyone want to try and make a rendering showing the buildings lit in Red? I know you can do it...

- Eric

Good news. It looks like the Islanders hired Ted Nolan as their head coach. This was the team that seemed to want Laviolette and most likely the only team he would have left for. Karmanos says he will match any offer-which I hope he does.

I think the 2 items are tied together or at least a few degrees of seperation

Here's what a higher-up at Progress wrote me.

I ran the lighting idea by some of our people. They liked the idea but just didn't think there was time to organize it. They mentioned that the Chamber was also trying to get something going as well. Great idea -- I hope we have the chance to do it next year.

I think that if I had a tall, noticable building, with a little civic pride I'd be ready to jump at opportunities like this, especially if I spent millions on advertising with the Canes each year. I guess some people's minds don't work like ours :w00t:

^ Yeah, they mentioned that we were building a new convention center and there was $2B being invested in DT.

I originally logged on to this thread to post the same comment--I thought it was cool to hear them say that on OLN, and it's great that all the amazing development in DT Raleigh is getting national notice, and there's no way you value the national press exposure this is getting for Raleigh....then I start reading through the other posts here and all I see are a bunch of posts basically dogging Charlotte--well fyi the person who first started the thread about Charlotteans being disappointed about the Canes not moving to Charlotte was a Raleigh person, not a Charlotte person--same for the poster who wanted to set the record straight on the RBC funding ("Big fallacy among Charlottians on who paid for the arena")---I'm with redjeep--I don't understand the hostility, but hopefully it's just the postings of a few insecure "mine is bigger than yours" types rather than the feelings of the majority of Raleigh people--the people I know in Charlotte think Raleigh is a great place, and they're all watching the Canes and can't wait to see all the excitement when the Cup comes to Raleigh, so GO CANES!!!

...then I start reading through the other posts here and all I see are a bunch of posts basically dogging Charlotte--

Yeah, it keeps me away too. I keep up with the Hurricanes (saw my first game in Greensboro) and I go to the games when I can afford it (usually make a weekend of it), but I generally avoid the discussion on here because of all the NASCAR jokes and general hostility you guys seem to have towards Charlotte.

I hate to say it,but you guys are knocking Charlotte around on this topic,both area's could use each others support as far as bolstering fan base, and by the way if your from Charlotte i love your city,and i'm from Raleigh your sister city GO PANTHERS!!,GO CANES!!,GO BOBCATS!!ONE LOVE! :wub:

I hate to say it,but you guys are knocking Charlotte around on this topic,both area's could use each others support as far as bolstering fan base, and by the way if your from Charlotte i love your city,and i'm from Raleigh your sister city GO PANTHERS!!,GO CANES!!,GO BOBCATS!!ONE LOVE! :wub:

You mean "Charlotte, USA", the city that dropped "NC" from their marketing efforts?

You mean "Charlotte, USA", the city that dropped "NC" from their marketing efforts?

Yeah, I don't think that was a good move on Charlotte's part. I live in Charlotte. I already get enough people asking me where I'm from when I travel for work, and their response is always "What state is that in?" or "Oh, South Carolina...I have a friend from Raleigh, South Carolina...is that close?" I don't need any more people being confused.

And yes, I'm serious...I actually met a guy at a bar in Portland who thought both Raleigh and Charlotte were in SC. Obviously an ignorant guy, but nevertheless...

go canes!

(look for roddie to let out some of that anger in game 4, hopefully commodore will stand up to, he always has some sweet hits! cam ward was fantastic, just lapsed on that first goal, and who knows bout the game winner, it looked iffy to me, but i dont claim to be a "canadian hockey expert" and know every single rule, so i guess i cant complain.)

I did notice the on News14 "Sports Tonight" at 10, the guy mentioned he was from Charlotte, USA when talking to the Raleigh guy who was in Edmonton??

For the game, (This is only my opinion) the team has to come out and fore-check and hit hard and chase the puck. No more of this half-arse like Saturday night. They were beat in the corners and along the board too many times A couple times, (and I have said this before) Staal looked he had accidentally put on an old "Tanabe" jersey and put in his 40 seconds shift and head to the bench with a smile like a good days work done. No, he is not as bad as Tanabe was, but you see it sometimes. I saw Tanabe almost get hit by the puck many times because he was not paying attention trying to skate over to the bench and the play was already turning back in the neutral zone.

Weight has to have the game of his life as they are booing him (as former Oiler Captain) and I think it got to him the first game. Cullen has to step up and I hear Big Joe is in the lineup which I guess takes out Ladd. They probably want to make sure Big Joe's name gets on the cup and want some size in there to hit and block. Hope it does not work against the team as I think his knees get as big as basketballs during/after the games. Also, where have both Adams been?

The last point I would say is they need to stop taking penalties. The Oilers are faster than some of our old guys and the Canes either need to skate faster or play the play and not hook and interfere like Saturday night. Or maybe bring back Tverdarsky to bring in more speed.

Archived