Meijer as a Sprawl Driver

GRDadof3

I have to take issue with the latest plans for Meijer to develop South of I-196 in Jamestown Township. I can see moving into rapidly growing areas to serve your customers' needs, but this seems to be Meijer hoping to drive growth. One of their execs even admits it:

"One of the main reasons for us to come to the Jamestown area is M-6," Scott Nowakowski, Meijer's director of real estate, told a crowd of about 40 gathered for a public hearing on the project Tuesday. "We feel that's going to bring substantial growth to the area over the long term."

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...4490.xml&coll=6

Even though there are several new developments in that area, there is not enough population to support a Meijer store (unless they plan to drive growth to the area).

Working in the building industry myself, I hear a lot of builders claim "we're just building where our customers want us". I used to believe that. But recently it seems builders are trying to create a market where none exists, and further and further from the city. What gives?!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to take issue with the latest plans for Meijer to develop South of I-196 in Jamestown Township. I can see moving into rapidly growing areas to serve your customers' needs, but this seems to be Meijer hoping to drive growth. One of their execs even admits it:

"One of the main reasons for us to come to the Jamestown area is M-6," Scott Nowakowski, Meijer's director of real estate, told a crowd of about 40 gathered for a public hearing on the project Tuesday. "We feel that's going to bring substantial growth to the area over the long term."

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...4490.xml&coll=6

Even though there are several new developments in that area, there is not enough population to support a Meijer store (unless they plan to drive growth to the area).

Working in the building industry myself, I hear a lot of builders claim "we're just building where our customers want us". I used to believe that. But recently it seems builders are trying to create a market where none exists, and further and further from the city. What gives?!

If you build it they will come? :)

I see it this way, and we've discussed it in relation to south of GR in the caledonia area (an area of huge growth in the last 10 years). There are a certain # of people who want to live in nice new houses. Areas like Jamestown, Hudsonville, Caledonia, Byron Center etc have HUGE tracts of relatively cheap land. A developer, be it retail, commercial or residential see it as a good investment. Cheap property, close enough to consumers, with the appeal of "new". I'm totally for urban renewal, and I think most know that, however there are a lot of people who don't want to live in "the core" even if it's a new home downtown (like along Madison where there's a # of brand new homes). They want the "Development" near the new stuff. My 2 cents..

I understand that, and I'm not "anti-suburban" like some, but I look at places like Rockford where it is so over "platted" it's ridiculous. Or even Cedar Springs. Stretching the infrastructure that far out is very detrimental. And I've seen it time and time again where builders are putting in plats so far out in the boondocks, claiming that's where people want to live, and then they wonder why 2 years goes by and they've only sold a handful of lots. That to me is not responding to the market, that is trying to "create" a market.

And Wal-Mart is just as bad. Should I break into my neighbors unlocked house, because if I don't, someone else will? :huh:

I understand that, and I'm not "anti-suburban" like some, but I look at places like Rockford where it is so over "platted" it's ridiculous. Or even Cedar Springs. Stretching the infrastructure that far out is very detrimental. And I've seen it time and time again where builders are putting in plats so far out in the boondocks, claiming that's where people want to live, and then they wonder why 2 years goes by and they've only sold a handful of lots. That to me is not responding to the market, that is trying to "create" a market.

And Wal-Mart is just as bad. Should I break into my neighbors unlocked house, because if I don't, someone else will? :huh:

I wouldn't think Meijer would open a store in an area unless they really felt like that is where the growth was going to be. While there may not be a bunch of new homes there now, who knows how many subdivisions or site condos or PUDs are in the approval process? If Jamestown removes their ag-pres district from the master plan, they must be eager to get some new housing. I think Meijer is counting on M-6 to create a market.

Your last statement might be a little much :P , but I see your point. I look it as more of a "pick your poison". I'd prefer neither, but if I had to choose, I'd take Meijer over "wallymart" any day. :thumbsup:

Retail will always follow the traffic, in more ways than one. Stores will always have the money and patience to go where they need to go -- or closeby. Recall they wanted to build a Meijer in GRTownship where the Gardens sits today. They lost that battle, and the Meijer just went up the beltline within GR, but was still just across the street.

Stores themselves deserve scrutiny. However I would contribute today to any fund aimed at ending the rapid proliferation of horrible, terrible, mind-bending outlots. Worse than zebra mussels...

When Celebration Village went up, my first reaction was -- kinda ugly, but not awful. Then as more goofy outbuildings popped up, awful became a distant pipe dream. I know the retail real estate guys count on them, but the outlot stuff turns a passable retail envionment into something out of "Blade Runner". Hope that doesn't happen here as well.

even if developers would face their properties face to the street things would look much better. just imagine if everything on 28th st fronted the sidewalk with parking in the rear with alternate entrances along 29th st. then it wouldnt look like the parking lot paradise it does now.

even if developers would face their properties face to the street things would look much better. just imagine if everything on 28th st fronted the sidewalk with parking in the rear with alternate entrances along 29th st. then it wouldnt look like the parking lot paradise it does now.

Amen to that. Its so increcibly simple, in a manner of speaking. I think I could come up with a few other stretches of road which fall into that category.

Amen to that. Its so increcibly simple, in a manner of speaking. I think I could come up with a few other stretches of road which fall into that category.

I would probably start with "almost every suburban road in the friggin country" :P

With the future changes they are looking for on 28th Street, I wonder if this is going to be one of their goals. They had stated that they are looking to make it more transit and pedestrial friendly, this could be a piece of the puzzle that helps make that happen.

With the future changes they are looking for on 28th Street, I wonder if this is going to be one of their goals. They had stated that they are looking to make it more transit and pedestrial friendly, this could be a piece of the puzzle that helps make that happen.

The GR Master Plan suggests making 28th a mixed-use boulevard with a planted median and the whole 9 yards. That would be just awesome. Unfortunately, most of 28th is in either Grandville, Wyoming or Kentwood.

Archived