Nashville fire of 1916

smeagolsfree

I just wanted to do a little research on the fire Dave was talking about. There are a lot of links but I just wanted to get one with a little history and another with some photos. I knew nothing of the fire and just wanted to find out more.

Here goes and enjoy

http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegall...hp?EntryID=D031

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/.../eastfire_1.htm

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard that the '16 fire 'sparked' the rise of Belle Meade and Oak & Forest Hills. Sorry for the pun.

My wife's grandmother was born in Nashville in 1907 and lived there until 1922. Fortunately, I got to know her well before she passed away last year. Her family lived in East Nashville when the fire happened. Their house was not burned, but they were looking for a fresh start afterward and moved westward to Taggart the next year. It was fascinating to listen to her describe early Nashville and Atlanta, where her father was transferred at age 14 with Lay's Potato Chip Co. She remembered that the burning shingles looked like "birds on fire, flying away."

How about that flood that happened during the 30s maybe 40s? My grandfather has told me tons about it. Actually some of yall might be interested in him. Here are some of the things hes done: He actually owned the land that the bellsouth tower is on, started metrocenter, built the r2d2 building and a number of other things. his company was R.C. Mathews Contracters btw.

Here are some of the things hes done: He actually owned the land that the bellsouth tower is on, started metrocenter, built the r2d2 building and a number of other things. his company was R.C. Mathews Contracters btw.

Damn! :shok:

lol @ R2D2 Building!!!

Batman's faithful sidekick.... :ph34r:

Archived