New Route to GSP?

GSP Tiger

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link: Greer seeks new route to get airport link

Greenville, SC News (01/04/2006)

The article tells of a new route from the Pelham & Batesville Roads area to SC-14 for airport access and more.

Sure would be nice. I do think it would be cheaper though to widen Old Spartanburg/Hammet Bridge road to 4 lanes (maybe 5 adding a turn lane). The current plan to 3 lane this road, to me, won't cut it with the amount of traffic on that road.

Sure would be nice. I do think it would be cheaper though to widen Old Spartanburg/Hammet Bridge road to 4 lanes (maybe 5 adding a turn lane). The current plan to 3 lane this road, to me, won't cut it with the amount of traffic on that road.

It would be foolish to spend a couple million dollars just to add a turn lane for four miles. Besides being able to turn into Silverleaf or Sugar Creek slightly easier, it is still not enough. The capacity Hammett Bridge/Old Spartanburg Road has is enough to warrant four lanes. It will be much costlier in years to come to return to widen the road to four/five lanes when it can be done cheaper with whatever it costs today. Long range plans does call for it and Brushy Creek Road to be widened to four lanes.

It seems people are giving up hope on Phase III of the J. Verne Smith Parkway. Wherever the proposed route would cross Gibbs Shoals Road, Chartwell Estates and that new community are taking away the right-of-way needed for the route. Perhaps the route could be redrawn having the route crossover southward and still coming out by Publix at Thornblade.

I have looked at the arials and beleive that a route can be found for Phase III that avoids those neighborhoods. A bigger problem may be that SCDOT does not want the Parkway Dumping anymore cars on to Pelham Rd., that could be a bigger obstacle.

A bigger problem may be that SCDOT does not want the Parkway Dumping anymore cars on to Pelham Rd., that could be a bigger obstacle.

Pelham Road has its own troubles already. Doing nothing to improve its situation with I-85 will allow the problem to persist. Does SCDOT have other alternatives?

Archived