Hartsfield is #1 Again!

ironchapman

Yep, even with Delta's dilemmas, Hartsifeld-Jackon has beaten O'Hare in both number of flights AND passengers!

The airports have alternated bragging rights to the most passengers and flights since 1998. However, Atlanta's 980,197 takeoffs and landings and its estimated 88.4 million passengers in 2005 was the first time Atlanta was first in both measures, the Chicago Tribune reported.

See Article

This is certainly some good news for Hartsfield, especially considering how much trouble its main carrier, Delta, is in. :yahoo::yahoo:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard some not so positive views of the future for Hartsfield.

Anyone here got an opinion on what will happen to Hartfield if Delta goes under? Does anyone think Delta will go under?

Delta won't go under, somebody will bail them out as always.

Delta won't go under, somebody will bail them out as always.

Someone will bail them out as always..............when was the last time Delta needed help with it's finances. In my million years of being in Atlanta I can't remember the last time Delta has been in such a situation. Then again if it was in the 70's or early 80's maybe I was just too young to remember.

To Irony......what was the bit of bad news you heard regarding Hartsfield-Jackson?

Someone will bail them out as always..............when was the last time Delta needed help with it's finances. In my million years of being in Atlanta I can't remember the last time Delta has been in such a situation. Then again if it was in the 70's or early 80's maybe I was just too young to remember.

To Irony......what was the bit of bad news you heard regarding Hartsfield-Jackson?

I didn't quite exactly word that correctly. What I meant to say is that somebody always bails out an airline that has filed for Chapter 11 or is going to go under right away. Delta is one of the few airlines that has been able to keep it's head above water for so long, until now.

People made the same predictions about Hartsfield when Eastern, then the largest airline in the South East and one of the largest on the East coast failed and completely shutdown. Yet Hartsfield continued to grow with that disappearance. In fact, I don't think the loss made much of a difference to the airport.

I miss the Eastern Whisperliners

eastern_wisperliner.jpg

It wasn't necessarily news that hinted that it would go under for good, it was just a couple of posters on other sites I visit that had seemingly more cynical views of the situation. I figured that these people had some valid points and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

People made the same predictions about Hartsfield when Eastern, then the largest airline in the South East and one of the largest on the East coast failed and completely shutdown. Yet Hartsfield continued to grow with that disappearance. In fact, I don't think the loss made much of a difference to the airport.

True, very true. Also, Atlanta still has AirTran which, while not quite as big or prominent as Delta, could have the opportunity to expand. Who knos? Other airlines might locate their hubs here, too. I've heard that some airlines have been interested in doing so, but they were pushed off by Delta.

Two other important factors Hartsfield has going for it is that a) Atlanta has become such an important business, convention, and cultural center and b) it has vital geographic location to air travel. This means that it could probably keep a high amount of passengers and flights coming into it using other airlines.

But I remain optimistic about Delta. I don't think it's going under.

Delta would do well to model itself after Southwest & Airtran. If somehow, it could come up with a formula to become a "discount international carrier" (if that's even possible), then Delta could be poised to return in a big way.

On that note, anyone know why in God's name Southwest hasn't expanded more into the Southeast, besides Florida? The closest they fly, if I recall, is Jacksonville & Raleigh-Durham.

Delta would do well to model itself after Southwest & Airtran. If somehow, it could come up with a formula to become a "discount international carrier" (if that's even possible), then Delta could be poised to return in a big way.

On that note, anyone know why in God's name Southwest hasn't expanded more into the Southeast, besides Florida? The closest they fly, if I recall, is Jacksonville & Raleigh-Durham.

There is no discount competition on international routes so they wouldn't need to be a discount international carrier. The biggest problem for Delta (as well as the other big airlines) is competing against the discounters domestically and getting their costs down to where they CAN compete.

While there is a lot to be admired by Southwest, one of the biggest reasons they make a profit is they only fly the most profitable routes whereas a main line carrier such as Delta basically flys everywhere. There is a huge capital, logistical and employment expense in order to do this. If Delta took on Southwest's model, Hartsfield would be reduced to a relatively small airport.

Here's some exciting news for Delta!

CEO: Delta is on Target

Delta Air Lines has achieved about 70 percent of the financial goals in its Chapter 11 recovery plan and could emerge from bankruptcy court a little over a year from now, the company's chief executive says.

CEO Gerald Ginstein said that he hopes it can emerge from bankruptcy by spring or summer of 2007.

Things are certainly looking up for Delta! Let's hope it continues down this path.

There have been talks here and in the media of a Delta-NWA merger (both are currently in bankruptcy). Accord ing this article, the two are not in merger talks.

CEO: NWA, Delta not in merger talks (Twin Cities Business Journal)

The CEO of Delta Air Lines Inc. told an Atlanta newspaper that despite widespread speculation, his airline is not in merger talks with Northwest Airlines Corp.

Delta CEO Gerald Grinstein told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution the two carriers are not expected to merge and that Delta (OTCBB: DALRQ) could emerge from bankruptcy next year. Merger rumors arose after the airlines both filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection on the same day in September; the rumors were reinvigorated by recent comments by U.S. Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta.

This doesn't necessarily Delta isn't still a candidate for merging with an airline, but rather it provides hope that Delta won't merge and leave us.

Archived