Charlotte Gripes

dubone

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL! I also thought the Target being built down the street from the Target was a silly idea!

Apparently, Target sees this as a $$$ maker.

-Ballantyne PERIOD! I just dont see the point. it should be connected to South Park somehow. Maybe running along South Blvd.

It is. The Rea-Colony corridor is all upscale, Connecting neighborhoods from Weddington basically all the way to Myers Park. Providence Country Club, Blakeny, Ballantyne, Piper Glen, Challis Farm, Stonecroft, Giverny, SouthPark/Morocroft, Colony/Myers Park...

I also agree something has to be done about all the strip shopping centers vacant along roads like Freedom, Indy, South Blvd and N Tryon

Actually you can see the mountains from Charlotte in the distance (depending on what floor your on)

You can see, on a very clear day, the mountains towards the Boone area which is really cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually you can see the mountains from Charlotte in the distance (depending on what floor your on)

yea, maybe like 3 times a year and even then its not like you can see them without a high powered telescope.

i always thought charlottes location was a bit lame, if charlotte switched locations with asheville it would be so much better. Someone should do a rendering of what the current skyline would look like with the backdrop of the blue ridge mountains, im sure it would be breathtaking.

-not many historic structures left uptown... not much character to it

-lack of music/art scene (music is terrible and performing art scene is good, but overall could be much better)

-lack of top notch university

-lack of "counter culture"

These all sort of go together. Charlotte is such a buttoned up, professional city that if you walk around uptown on any given day not wearing a suit, you sort of feel out of place. I think there's a place for the financial insitutions and their employees, but I wish Charlotte had more of a grimey, alternative, creative side to counter the suit-and-tie, banker image.

Oh yeah, and the CBD grid isn't lined up with anything, like, um, say, N-S or E-W... argh!!!

These all sort of go together. Charlotte is such a buttoned up, professional city that if you walk around uptown on any given day not wearing a suit, you sort of feel out of place. I think there's a place for the financial insitutions and their employees, but I wish Charlotte had more of a grimey, alternative, creative side to counter the suit-and-tie, banker image.

i agree, this imo comes from lack of universities in the area.

yea, maybe like 3 times a year and even then its not like you can see them without a high powered telescope.

i always thought charlottes location was a bit lame, if charlotte switched locations with asheville it would be so much better. Someone should do a rendering of what the current skyline would look like with the backdrop of the blue ridge mountains, im sure it would be breathtaking.

Actually I see them everyday, although there aren't a lot of them (it looks like they are in Gaston County somewhere), and then some to the north. Most of the time, you can see the mountains furthur in the distance, but they aren't crystal clear. Oh well, it's better than nothing - it kind of breaks up all the flatness.

I agree though - the location can be a bit boring - if Charlotte was in the mountains or on the coast it would be way better (I wouldn't mind dealing with the weather - I deal with it when I'm in school in NY, and I think it's worth it).

In my opinion, the location isn't terrible, but it definately could be better...

Boring is good. Coast is always under threat of hurricanes and the mountains have floods and ice and snow. The nice thing about Charlotte's locale is that you can visit both in a few hours and it is quite possible here in the spring to both go snow skiing one day and water skiing at the beach the next. There are not many places in the country where you can do that.

i agree, this imo comes from lack of universities in the area.

list them, the only major university i can think of is unc charlotte.

You originally did not use the word 'major' as a qualifier.

Anyways, the universities and colleges in Charlotte are:

UNC Charlotte

Central Piedmont Commuunity College (50,000+ Students

Queens University

Johnson and Wales University

Johson C Smith University

Davidson College (in the same county)

Winthrop University (right across the border in SC)

Charlotte also has many smaller colleges, there are 35 institutions of higher learning in the Charlotte metro.

--------------

Edited for correctness.

I actually despise this kind of attitude in alot of Charlotte residents...the "why-can't-we-have-this-or-that-like-they-do-somewhere-else" mentality. I think that once we start to realize that everything about Charlotte is actually very unique, we'll be able to better appreciate and utilize the resources and culture we have to our disposal. Charlotte's location is just fine....every city can't be perched in a scenic valley of mountains, rolling escarpments, & break-taking views of the ocean -_-

I have only lived in Charlotte for a little over 14 months...

What I like:

* Southend/Dilworth area which is nice to walk around and grab a beer

* An Irish pub with decent music

* Carolina Panthers

What I dislike:

* Very little to do uptown (I'm a city person) other than eat and drink

* Taxes are too high

* Meck county seems to be good at wasting money and putting corporations before residents (Third Ward Park etc)

* What is it with Sunday openings?

* Charlotte Bobcats, I don't see the point

* Too many parking lots uptown

* Not enough green areas uptown

What I wish for:

* A 24hr diner Uptown or in Southend

* More retail uptown

* Use Panthers stadium all year round for other events

You originally did not use the word 'major' as a qualifier.

Anyways, the universities and colleges in Charlotte are:

UNC Charlotte

Queens University

Johnson and Wales University

Johson C Smith University

Davidson College (in the same county)

Charlotte also has many smaller colleges, there are 35 institutions of higher learning in the Charlotte metro.

Charlotte does not have any law schools or med schools yet, but I doubt that those 'produce' the 'hip' people Charlotte 'needs'.

You forgot CPCC which is right in the center city. It has 50,000 students though it is a 2 year university. There is also Winthrop University just across the state line in SC. There is a Law school that just opened in Charlotte. It was posted in this forum.

Indeed. I was not sure if that Law school had opened or not. I thought they were still looking for space. CPCC is a big miss on my part though.

i agree... a waterfront really makes a city, IMO. growing up in connecticut till i was 13, water was always around. hartford, boston, new york, etc... makes me wonder if I will ever really feel at home in raleigh.

We have some rather large lakes right next door that offer a great assortment of water sports options. But yea, it would be really neat to have a river run right downtown.

You forgot CPCC which is right in the center city. It has 50,000 students though it is a 2 year university. There is also Winthrop University just across the state line in SC. There is a Law school that just opened in Charlotte. It was posted in this forum.

Dont forget:

Pfeiffer University Campus off of Park Road

The University of Phoenix Campus on Arco Corporate Dr(off West Arrowood)

Carolinas College of Health Sciences on blythe rd

Devry/Keller University on Sharon Rd

Kings College

Gardner-Webb Charlotte

Brookston Business College

As well as many various beauty schools, seminarys, etc.

Dont forget:

Pfeiffer University Campus off of Park Road

The University of Phoenix Campus on Arco Corporate Dr(off West Arrowood)

Carolinas College of Health Sciences on blythe rd

Devry/Keller University on Sharon Rd

Kings College

Gardner-Webb Charlotte

Brookston Business College

As well as many various beauty schools, seminarys, etc.

also, the ART INSTITUTE.

All the listed schools are fine institutions. I think the original poster of this statement was making the point that Charlotte lacks highly ranked and influential schools that can make a huge impact on an area. The Triangle will always have a cultural advantage over us in that regard. Its not a negative for Charlotte. We are developing our own character but we are never going to have a Duke or UNC etc etc and all that comes with them.

I don't think its disparaging to Charlotte to admit that the city's location is boring. It is. The value of natural assets cannot be overstated in defining a city's character. We have lots of pretty trees and we are "clean and green". Thats about it. This negative is easily overcome though. Atlanta does not have anything remarkable about its location and managed to grow and prosper, too much.

Archived