Charlotte Gripes

dubone

Does your sister live in a 70s/80s era suburban development? Inner city crime is significantly better than it was twenty years ago. Crime at the city's outer limits is still what suburbanites expect, because it is a brand new part of town.

Crime, however, is probably way up in the transitioning neighborhoods that were 70s and 80s suburban sprawl. Those houses aren't attracting the same demographic as they used to, and are a perfect price per square foot for immigrants, lower middle class, and other demographics which have more social problems like crime.

I live downtown, and have for 5 years. The only crime I have seen is that my car was stolen 4 years ago. It was gone for 3 hours and the only damage other than the ignition and window moulding was some bojangles in the seats. It cost me $100 for my deductible.

I have take hundreds of walks in notoriously crime ridden neighborhoods like Optimist Park and Belmont, and still never seen or experienced any crime.

I'm sure some areas are experiencing crisis, but my guess is that your sister either needs to change neighborhoods or stop watching local news.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to reply for fun. Two things first : I don't live in Charlotte, but I visited it for two weeks in September where me and my wife wanted to move there (still thinking, but if you care you can read my other post in "what's the response you get when you say you are from Charlotte" or something like that).

I am just going to comment on a few things I noticed it (although it was only two weeks we really walked and drove throughout the city and from Lake Norman to Union County, as we were sort of prepared after monthsd of interenet reseraches) and a few comments others posted here.

Italian restaurants : I am Italian (from Italy, not from New York, LOL). Lived in Italy 33 years and I am a decent cook, so I know something about italian food. And you guys are right, there seems to be a lack of good restaurants and prices are high. However don't beat yourself up too much: I live in West Palm Beach, South Florida, 60 miles North of Miami, and although this area has a lot of hype, food ain't that better.

I think that in the USA you can have good italian food in New York, Chicago and Las Vegas, in several hotels (and at very decent prices too). Until Americans will keep thinking of Olive Gardens as an Italian restaurant, things won't get better....lol

What bothered me most while in Charlotte (and again, we were prepared with maps and knew all the neighborhoods by memory, so much that many times we did not even need the map) is the streets naming. Are you guys trying to confuse tourists?? There are streets that change names 3 times...intersections with 3 streets with similar names, and yes, the city, as someone pointed out, obviously was not built around a grid.

I saw some comments of you guys under this posts like :

- the littering along the highways

Ever been to Miami??

- the crime problem

Ever been to South Florida? You guys live in paradise under that aspect.

- the mess on the streets (some), traffic...

Traffic?? You mean the line of cars on Providence Rd, that can get you going at 10 mile per hour for 20 minutes? I call that a pretty nice commute...

I agree with those who mentioned chains. Way too many, but that is not Charlotte, it's how America has been shaping up almost everywhere, above in growing city (see Phoenix, various Texas cities etc..). More local unique stores would be great, but I don't know if they could survive with all those chains out there...too bad.

Another thing that I noticed, although it's not a negative thing, was the lack of historic building, or "characteristic" building. As a tourist, as soon as we reached downtonw, the fiorst impression I had was that the city was built...yesterday. Still, it's a nice transition from the tall buildings in D'town to rural Union County in only 20 minutes.

I believe Charlotte is a nice city, with plenty of potential to grow. I hope that the local administrators realize that in order to be growing you don't need to be massive and offering more to residents and tourists does not mean necessarily building 16 malls and 400 chain stores.

I might be living in Charlotte byt this time next year and I hope locals politicians stop looking at Atlanta as a goal or a comparison point; Atlanta is a huge mess, congestioned as hell.

Charlotteans, in my modest opinion, should look at Atlanta. Then take the opposite direction and chose a more individual spirit. Charlotte can be really unique unless it tries to become another Atlanta and become just another sprawling urban mess.

I hope nobody gets offended if I posted in this thread for Charlotteans without being a resident.

All the listed schools are fine institutions. I think the original poster of this statement was making the point that Charlotte lacks highly ranked and influential schools that can make a huge impact on an area. The Triangle will always have a cultural advantage over us in that regard. Its not a negative for Charlotte. We are developing our own character but we are never going to have a Duke or UNC etc etc and all that comes with them.

exactly. not that theres anything wrong w/ not having highly ranked/influential schools in the immediate area, charlotte has its own thing going on, and im liking it.

Might sound odd to some folks, but the 3 things I dislike are 1) the prevelance of evangelical christians and religion in general, especially in government, 2) the overabundance of "traditional" residential architecture, and 3) the sprawl/isoalted subdivsions.

I hope nobody gets offended if I posted in this thread for Charlotteans without being a resident.

Not at all MoItaly. You comments here, as a person from outside the country, are most welcome as you have a perspective that many here will not have. I enjoyed reading what you said and agree with all of it. (I used to live in S. Fla also) Also, welcome to UrbanPlanet.

And finally...no good Italian resturants and decent prices. I come from the northeast where good family italian places are a dime a dozen. I have yet to find an Italian place in charlotte that I am impressed with. yes i have had some good meals but only with a price tag that is crazy for pasta and sauce.

It has been a while since i have been there but Frankies on E Morehead was good, if you are looking for italian.....

I lived in Charlotte for 4 years before I moved to Houston, and go back every year or so. My issues....

1) Lack of unique identity. (trying to compare itself to other cities, aspiring to be like other cities)

2) Houses spread too far apart. (everything is far away, it feels like a smaller city)

3) Lack of sidewalks. (you REALLY can't go anywhere without a car)

4) I hate the layout. It is hard to see how they plan to put in a mass transit system. How is that going to work? How will it be effective with the layout of the city?

5) Use of land. This applies to many cities. When did we stop caring about scenery. Charlotte has beautiful hills and developers just flatten them and build whatever, the buildings could fit in with their settings more.

Charlotte is a nice place to live and to exist but it does not seem very energetic.

If that makes any sense........

Just an FYI, since I never lived in Charlotte, just Rock Hill but considering I, like many people in RH had considered where to live after graduating high school - this might be of some interest. Not that my views then were terribly relevant, as the city has changed signifcantly since 1990, but I chose Atlanta over Charlotte. Having a sister in Charlotte at that point it was definitely a consideration, but Atlanta - for the time, seemed to have more options.

Now - having thought back about how life would have been different living in Charlotte compared to Atlanta & since I've had at least one opportunity to relocate due to a great job offer - I'll summarize my views on Charlotte. Of course consider that my criticism towards Charlotte can be directed towards any sunbelt city, including Atlanta.

And please, don't retort with anything too defensive, but my main issue is the lack of a historical infrastructure in Charlotte. In my view, at least 95% of all developments built since WWII are substandard, aesthetically revolting, and are offensively car oriented. I do have a disclaimer, if the development occurs within the urban framework of an existing pre WWII area, then that is nearly excusable. Otherwise I have many issues with post WWII developed society, that I won't go into boring detail over.

But again - it isn't completley Charlotte's fault, as it wasn't Atlanta's fault - our metro areas are too big, not our cities. At least that is one way of thinking about it, considering traditional 'city size' or urban core has generally stopped since WWII or even before - meaning in reality Charlotte is really a city of 25,000 (at most) in a metro of 2 million. Now - if we're talking about Charlotte the town of 25k, of course Charlotte kicks ass. But unfortuantely we're talking about the urban area of roughly 700k, which comparably has an incredibly smaller historical urban core than even cities half it's size.

Now, before you get on to me, please realize I have the same criticism of Atlanta - considering I think cities 1 / 3 the size have a better urban core (Richmond VA).

Charlotte has more character and atmosphere than some professional and "successful" cities like Cary. People whine that Charlotte has no soul. Have you been to Mission Viejo or Simi Valley? Man... talk about "nothing to work with".

The city has tremendous energy to accomplish things. It's unfortunate so much of it was directed towards suburban sprawl for 40 years. Charlotte needs to channel that sense of "manifest destiny" into some other efforts. Then it can get the national recognition our leaders are always hungering for.

The tipping point of this recognition, is the day that people complain in other cities how something "...isn't anything like Charlotte has..."

• 1 month later...

I am surprised that after scanning all the responses to "Charlotte Gripes" that I only saw one mention of roadside litter.

I have lived in Charlotte going on 40 years. I have always taken a genuine interest in the architecture, history, and beauty of this city. Did lots of research on Lakewood Park, Charlottes 1st amusement park which opened in 1910.

I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly (not the movie). But my blood pressure doubles and veins start poppin out of my head when I ride down Charlotte interstates and see the amount of roadside litter. I have done lots of traveling over the years and never have I seen a city with so much litter.

Now, I suppose the problem is just as bad in other cities, so maybe the real problem is roadside cleanup. Apparently other cities have better, more efficient methods of keeping their roadsides litter free. Richmond, Columbus, Austin, Portland, OR come to mind.

Even when feeble efforts are made to clean up our roadsides, the on/off ramps are left untouched.

I could open a brewery if I collected all the beer bottles I see at the Hwy 51 & I-485 interchange. It's very disheartening.

Yes, there are many other things that gripe me, many of them little things, but the litter is my pet peeve. I have sent several emails to Pat McCrory who always responds I may add, that he is seeking more funds from Raleigh to help clean up the interstates. In the meantime, I say get the chaingang out there. Make them do it for free!

I've been noticing that a lot more lately. It is definitely not nearly as bad here as some places. But the problem has definitely gotten worse this year for one major reason: politics. Charlotte had a budget crunch, and decided to quit paying for things that were state responsibility, including litter on state maintained roads. At this point, we are suffering because no one is doing it. But hopefully the political energies will now be directed to those responsible, the state.

not to get off topic.. but i saw this on your site.. it's very interesting!!

Thank you! I did that site back in 1998 and have pretty much left it alone since. Maybe one update. I have received many email responses over the years from people that were interested.

I've always wanted to go out to the old site with a metal detector to see what I might find. Old tokens, etc. Maybe one day I will.

Now, back to the topic at hand....

What I like:

1. The cost of living

2. The cleanliness of most areas, public restrooms, etc.

What I dislike:
  1. Its sort of dull - there's not much that's unique

2. The lack of sidewalks..its ridiculous! I don't know why they let so many homes & neighborhoods get built without making them walkable.

3. The lack of good public transportation that's on time, easy to get to and takes you throughout the city

4. The shopping...its awful

Parking Lots !!!

Lights on the Interstates !!!

& that little thing called Downtown Retail (or the lack there of) !!!

oh and .....

ROADS !!!!

(or lack there of)

I am optomistic of two on my list being fixed. The Parking lots and Retail with all the Uptown construction coming on line in the next couple of years.

A2

Charlotte is pleasant but boring. Pleasant but boring location, pleasant but boring architecture and somewhat boring activities- people just seem to want to work 9 to 5 and then run home. Even the young and single people in Charlotte don't really do much exciting.

Charlotte is pleasant but boring. Pleasant but boring location, pleasant but boring architecture and somewhat boring activities- people just seem to want to work 9 to 5 and then run home. Even the young and single people in Charlotte don't really do much exciting.

haha....and I was commenting the other day how many more people I see hanging out downtown after work than even a year ago. Oh well, I guess things are relative, though I do agree that we are still several years away from creating a true urban experience with enough people buying into the lifestyle to make the city seem cosmopolitan.

Charlotte is pleasant but boring.
mallguy, you've hit the nail on the head. I was talking to a young guy yesterday that moved here from Miami. He said the exact same thing about Charlotte. I told him that I really wouldn't recommend Charlotte for the 18 - 24 crowd because at that time in your life I'd think you'd be looking for more adventure and excitement. Charlotte doesn't have that, it lacks....flavor.

Now if you're 30+, raising a family and looking to work/come home and see an occasional play or go out for dinner twice a month then Charlotte is perfectly acceptable. Its just one big suburb.

Question: what do the students in the University section do for fun. I was thinking that this area would be very "college town" but its not really.

Question: what do the students in the University section do for fun. I was thinking that this area would be very "college town" but its not really.

I currently live (until the end of April anyway) in the University area very close to the University itself with my fiance. The only thing we have come up with to do in this immediate area is walk around University lake which is in the middle of those aweful shops at JW Clay Blvd.

Compared to a real city Charlotte definitely is missing the urban social aspects of life, however as a member of the 18-24 (for a short while longer at least) group there's still stuff to do, even if it does mean leaving town during the day on weekends. There are lots of good day-hiking parks within about an hour's drive, as well as two 'lakes' (fat rivers really - being from Milwaukee a lake is either round or called Michigan) to spend time at/on. Also within town, due to the hub/spoke arrangement of streets the non artery streets are very quiet and great for weekend bike rides. Then after being out around the town, or out of town, for the day, I tend to return home and look for dinner - which is where I get back on topic with the gripes:

First gripe: food. There are some excellent restaurants in this city, but the quality/interesting/independent cheap eats category is only just developing, and it seems pretty directly tied to the immigrant communities. It would also be nice for the immigrant communities to develop strong neighborhoods/communities instead of being spread across south blvd/central blvd, however that could be due to Charlotte's layout.

Second gripe: lack of street connectivity/sidewalks. Unless you're extremely selective with your housing choices, or very rich, you can't live in a walkable neighborhood and end up in a car driving everywhere in this city. This is improving with more dense condo and townhome developments even in the middle ring neighborhoods, but there's a long way to go.

Might continue the list later, but this is a start.

I currently live (until the end of April anyway) in the University area very close to the University itself with my fiance. The only thing we have come up with to do in this immediate area is walk around University lake which is in the middle of those aweful shops at JW Clay Blvd.

Neo, your reckless lifestyle can only end in tragedy!

the quality/interesting/independent cheap eats category is only just developing, and it seems pretty directly tied to the immigrant communities. It would also be nice for the immigrant communities to develop strong neighborhoods/communities instead of being spread across south blvd/central blvd,
I've noticed a few Jamaican or WI restaurants recently. There's 2 I pass when driving down Monroe. My thing is that its near impossible for people on the left side of the street to cross over to the right because Monroe doesn't have enough traffic lights in the right places. Just yesterday I was thinking "who would want to cross a street like this"...especially with kids. If you decide not to jay walk, then you have to hike damn near a mile to get to a corner and cross the street. Its ridiculous. How do you develop a community feel when its so difficult to go next door and talk to your neighbor or you feel compelled to drive your kid literally around the corner because there's no place for him/her to walk to his/her friends house.

Who's responsible for the few sidewalks there are being so damn narrow? Or the fact that the sidewalks stop in the middle of the street where one development ends and another begins but the second didn't bother with providing somewhere to walk? Its extremely frustrating. I also feel sorry for anyone who needs to get from one side of Independence to the other. The crosswalks are extremely far apart but if you try to cross in the middle you are seriously risking your life.

Archived