New Marriott

northernbizzkit1

In today's Commercial Appeal, there was an article on how hotels are springing up around the two latest additions to Memphis retail. The Southaven Center is getting a Holiday Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn, but what made me excited was the fact that a Marriott is being proposed for the third anchor to Carriage Crossing...It is a small scale hotel (only four stories), but it is certainly better than just a ho hum Hampton Inn going into the development! It will be interesting to see the design!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't expect a GREAT design from Marriott. They tend to have their own ho-hum plans too. I do think that the hotel is a good idea though. There aren't enough department store companies left to anchor developments like this anymore and still offer something unique. I'll also agree with your happiness that the hotel is not a Hampton Inn, Memphis has plenty already. Good News - maybe we'll be pleasently surprised.

I wouldn't expect a GREAT design from Marriott. They tend to have their own ho-hum plans too. I do think that the hotel is a good idea though. There aren't enough department store companies left to anchor developments like this anymore and still offer something unique. I'll also agree with your happiness that the hotel is not a Hampton Inn, Memphis has plenty already. Good News - maybe we'll be pleasently surprised.

Well, I'm not expecting something that will make me collapse in glee, but I think that it will be a unique design to fit the center. Like I said, as long as it isn't the synthetic stucco look that comes with a Hampton Inn, I'm happy! Furthermore, the name will add more to the upscale feel of the center.

Parisian was a decent choice for an anchor, but how many Dillard's does the Memphis market need? No offense to Dillard's as I do some of my shopping there, but I think Cousins Properties could have landed a Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, or even a Saks (Parisian corporate cousin) for the mall given the wealthy demographics of the area. While the conversion of Goldsmith's to Macy's does upgrade the area department store shopping, Parisian does not significantly enhance the upscale selection.

Archived