Museums in NWA

Northwest Arkansas has many wonderful museums that seem to get neglected due to all the hubbub of developments in the news. How many of you have gone to one of these museums in the last year?

Rogers Historical Museum

322 S Second St, Rogers 479.621.1154 www.rogersarkansas.com/museum/ FREE!

Daisy Airgun Museum

202 W Walnut, Rogers 479.986.6873 www.daisymuseum.com FREE!

Wal-Mart Visitors Center

105 North Main, Bentonville 479.273.2754 www.walmartstores.com FREE!

Peel Mansion Museum & Historical Garden

400 S Walton Blvd, Bentonville 479.273.9664 www.peelmansion.org Adult $3, Child 6-12 $1

Bella Vista Historical Museum

1885 Bella Vista Way, Bella Vista 479.855.2335 www.geocities.com/ozarkgarden/benton/bellavistamuseum.html FREE!

Lowell Historical Museum

304 Jackson Pl, Lowell 479.751.1077 www.geocities.com/ozarkgarden/benton/lowellmuseum.html FREE!

Shiloh Museum of Ozark History

118 West Johnson Ave, Springdale 479.750.8165 www.springdaleark.org/shiloh/ FREE!

Tontitown Historical Museum

Hwy 412 W, Tontitown 479.361.2498 www.tontitown.com/museum.html FREE!

The University Museum

UA, Garland Avenue, Fayetteville 479.575.2000 Adult $1, Child 50cents

Tommy Boyer Hall of Champions

UA, Maple & Razorback Rd, Fayetteville 479.575.2000 FREE!

Jerry Jones/Jim Lindsey Hall of Champions

UA, Leroy Pond Dr, Fayetteville 479.575.2000 FREE!

Arkansas Air Museum

4290 South School Street, Fayetteville 479.521.4947 www.arkairmuseum.org Adult $4, Child 6-12 $2

Ozark Military Museum

4360 S. School Ave, Fayetteville 479.587.1941 Call for hours and admission

Headquarters House Museum & Gardens

118 E Dickson Street, Fayetteville 479.521.2970 www.washcohistoricalsociety.org Guided tours: $7-$27/person (By Appointment)

Ozark Reptile Museum

7 E Mountain Street, Fayetteville 479.466.6895 Call for hours and admission

Abundant Memories Heritage Village

2434 Hwy 23 N, Eureka Springs 479.253.6764 www.abundantmemories.com Adult $8.50, Child 12-17 $4.50, Child 5-11 $3.50

Gay Nineties Button and Doll Museum

Hwy 62E, Eureka Springs 479.253.9321 Daily 9-4pm. FREE!

Castle Museum at Inspiration Point

Hwy 62 (5.5 west of town), Eureka Springs 479.253.9462 Call for hours and admission

Eureka Springs Historical Museum

95 S Main, Eureka Springs 479.253.9417 www.eshm.org Adult $5, Child 7-18 $2.50

New Holy Land Tour

Hwy 62, Eureka Springs 800.882.7529 www.greatpassionplay.com Adult $15, Child 6-11 $5.50 (Includes Sacred Arts Center & Bible Museum)

Queen Anne Mansion and Historic Kelly House

Hwy 62, Eureka Springs 479.253.8825 www.queenannemansion.com Adult $8, Child 7-12 $4; KH: Adult $6, Child 7-12 $3

Quigley's Castle

Hwy 23 (4m south of town), Eureka Springs 479.253.8311 www.quigleyscastle.com Adult $5.50, Child 14 & under Free

The Last Precinct Police Museum

Hwy 62 (west of town), Eureka Springs 479.253.4948 Call for hours and admission

Miracle Mansion

Hwy 62 (east of town), Eureka Springs 479.253.9744 Call for hours and admission

Aviation Cadet Museum at Silver Wings Field

542 CR 2073, Eureka Springs 479.253.5008 www.aviationcadet.com Call for hours and admission

Siloam Springs Museum

112 N Maxwell Street, Siloam Springs 479.524.4011 www.siloamspringsmuseum.com FREE!

Heritage Center Museum

Downtown Square, Berryville 870.423.6212 Call for hours and admission

Saunders Memorial Museum of Guns

113 East Madison, Berryville 479.423.2563 www.ozarkconnections.com/museum/saunders.htm Adult $3.00 Child 6-12 $1.50

Ozark Arts & Crafts Guild & Heritage Center

22733 N Hwy 71, Winslow 479.634.3791 Daily 9-5pm. FREE!

Arkansas Country Doctor Museum

107 N Starr Ave, Lincoln 479.824.4307 www.drmuseum.net FREE!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been to the Rogers Historical Museum a few times, it really has a lot to offer for such a small museum.

The trouble with our musuems is that there really isn't a big one to go to. If we had something affiliated with Smithsonian, than we would have a crowd drawer.

I admit I haven't been to any of the ones in Benton County. Although I've thought about trying to check out the Peel Mansion Museum sometime. By the way the University Museum is no longer open. I think they shut it down in the spring of 2005. I wasn't too happy about it. They said they didn't have the money to keep it open. They said this of course not too long before they announced all the money that money they raised. I've also been to some of the ones over in Eureka Springs, but I admit it's been years. I have wanted to try out some more of the places in Fayetteville like the Headquarters House. I need to call and make an appointment sometime. By the way that's a nice extensive list, thanks for posting it.

I've been to the Rogers Historical Museum a few times, it really has a lot to offer for such a small museum.

The trouble with our musuems is that there really isn't a big one to go to. If we had something affiliated with Smithsonian, than we would have a crowd drawer.

I have to admit that I haven't been to the Rogers Historical Museum but a friend of mine went recently and he said it didn't seem to have much, but this is coming from someone who's probably not accustomed to small town museums and just failed to appreciate the dedication it takes for the museum operators to keep doing what they do given the lack of support. I've heard the Shiloh Museum of Ozark History in Springdale has the most comprehensive collection of Ozark artifacts and even has several historic buildings on the grounds.

One thing to consider is if we had a Smithsonian most of the local musuems would probably close since they don't get much support even without major competition in the region.

One thing to consider is if we had a Smithsonian most of the local musuems would probably close since they don't get much support even without major competition in the region.

Possibly.

But public schools still go to the smaller historical museums for Classes concerning history, etc.

I admit I haven't been to any of the ones in Benton County. Although I've thought about trying to check out the Peel Mansion Museum sometime. By the way the University Museum is no longer open. I think they shut it down in the spring of 2005. I wasn't too happy about it. They said they didn't have the money to keep it open. They said this of course not too long before they announced all the money that money they raised. I've also been to some of the ones over in Eureka Springs, but I admit it's been years. I have wanted to try out some more of the places in Fayetteville like the Headquarters House. I need to call and make an appointment sometime. By the way that's a nice extensive list, thanks for posting it.

I'm not sure why you would want to visit the Peel Mansion Museum in Bentonville unless you're really interested in seeing a well adorned vistorian house that seems more like someone's house than an actual museum. The Queen Anne Mansion or Quigley's Castle in Eureka Springs is much more interesting. As for Benton County the Rogers Historical Museum is probably the best bet, although I haven't been there yet.

I did leave out a couple important museums... Pea Ridge National Military Park has a very impressive Civil War Museum in the visitor's center and they even present a 30 minute movie before you go into the museum part of it. Then there's the 7-mile driving tour of the battleground, culminating in the Elkhorn Tavern at the end of the tour... which is currently being remodeled. It's also one of the best places for deer watching. I've seen around a hundred deer on one visit! But the last time I went not one, probably due to the remodeling going on.

Another is Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park. I haven't been there yet but I hear it's impressive, with several historic buildings onsite.

I'm not sure why you would want to visit the Peel Mansion Museum in Bentonville unless you're really interested in seeing a well adorned vistorian house that seems more like someone's house than an actual museum. The Queen Anne Mansion or Quigley's Castle in Eureka Springs is much more interesting. As for Benton County the Rogers Historical Museum is probably the best bet, although I haven't been there yet.

Yeah actually I do find interest in old houses. I occasionally like to walk around the Mt Nord and Willow-Washington Historicals Districts and look at all the old houses. :D I believe the Peel Mansion is also done in an Italianate style. Not a style you see a lot in NWA.

The Rogers Historical Museum is pretty good, because it has plenty of artifacts pertaning to Rogers and surrounding area. They even have a historical house inside the museum that is fully furnished with original artifacts from the time period.

Just curious is it located near the downtown area? Maybe I should check it out whenever I get up there to take some pics.

The Rogers Historical Museum is pretty good, because it has plenty of artifacts pertaning to Rogers and surrounding area. They even have a historical house inside the museum that is fully furnished with original artifacts from the time period.

I'll have to check it out. My goal this year is to visit every Museum in NWA before they're gone forever.

Yeah actually I do find interest in old houses. I occasionally like to walk around the Mt Nord and Willow-Washington Historicals Districts and look at all the old houses. :D I believe the Peel Mansion is also done in an Italianate style. Not a style you see a lot in NWA.

I didn't know Peel Mansion was Italian... just looks Victorian to me. The website describes Peel Mansion as "a marvelous villa tower Italianate Mansion". The interior decoration is described as "a truly authentic interior of the early Victorian period". It's on my list of Museums to visit this year.

Hey, Congrats on 100 Posts MasonsDad!!

Thanks Matt.

I know the university closed their museum but is there any particular reason why other museums could be closing?

Funding... or lack of. The University Museum closed recently, Poor Richard's Gift and Confectionery Shop in Rogers closed a year ago (and I really wanted to check out the vintage soda fountain there), an Indian Museum and Art Gallery in Springdale closed last year, Hammond Museum of Bells in Eureka Springs closed a couple years ago... which one's next?

Attendance is not a major factor because most of the Museums are FREE to the public, although I drop a small donation whenever I visit one.

Funding... or lack of. The University Museum closed recently, Poor Richard's Gift and Confectionery Shop in Rogers closed a year ago (and I really wanted to check out the vintage soda fountain there), an Indian Museum and Art Gallery in Springdale closed last year, Hammond Museum of Bells in Eureka Springs closed a couple years ago... which one's next?

Attendance is not a major factor because most of the Museums are FREE to the public, although I drop a small donation whenever I visit one.

I hadn't heard about Hammond Museum of Bells closing. Apparently I didn't stop there last time I was in Eureka Springs. You do bring up a good point. I've decided to start taking advantage of the facilities at the Walton Arts Center more and I should also extend that to the area museums as well. It's been years since I've stopped at the Prarie Grove Battlefield. I should stop there especially since it's rather close to me. I'll fit right in, if I'm not being told I look like one of the guys on Mythbusters I also have people asking me quite a bit if I'm a Civil War reenactor.

I hadn't heard about Hammond Museum of Bells closing. Apparently I didn't stop there last time I was in Eureka Springs. You do bring up a good point. I've decided to start taking advantage of the facilities at the Walton Arts Center more and I should also extend that to the area museums as well. It's been years since I've stopped at the Prarie Grove Battlefield. I should stop there especially since it's rather close to me. I'll fit right in, if I'm not being told I look like one of the guys on Mythbusters I also have people asking me quite a bit if I'm a Civil War reenactor.

LOL. You can also immortalize our many Museums with that incredible camera of yours while you're at it.

LOL. You can also immortalize our many Museums with that incredible camera of yours while you're at it.

I'm planning on it. :D I think most museums around here will allow photos. Hopefully we can also mention some of our experiances with some of these museums as we check them out. It would be nice to get some of us to check these out and let others know. I'm sure we probsbly have some different interests and maybe not all of them will appeal to all of us. But it would still be nice to hear more about them. That and since some of us are in different counties up here maybe we can help each other know more about what's more local to us. I'm considering Prarie Grove Battlefield next weekend. It's not too far away and will give me some more time to get used to my new camera before going further out. Any other suggestions on places here in Washington County that you guys might like to see?

I'm planning on it. :D I think most museums around here will allow photos. Hopefully we can also mention some of our experiances with some of these museums as we check them out. It would be nice to get some of us to check these out and let others know. I'm sure we probsbly have some different interests and maybe not all of them will appeal to all of us. But it would still be nice to hear more about them. That and since some of us are in different counties up here maybe we can help each other know more about what's more local to us. I'm considering Prarie Grove Battlefield next weekend. It's not too far away and will give me some more time to get used to my new camera before going further out. Any other suggestions on places here in Washington County that you guys might like to see?

I'm really wanting to check out the Tommy Boyer and Jerry Jones Hall of Champions at UofA... and if you can locate the Reptile Museum in Fayetteville and let me know if it's worth a visit I'd greatly appreciate it... I'll try to get some pics posted from my Museum excursions here in Benton County. I have an old digital camera (not even sure if it still works) but I always get my 35mm film transferred to disk.

I'm really wanting to check out the Tommy Boyer and Jerry Jones Hall of Champions at UofA... and if you can locate the Reptile Museum in Fayetteville and let me know if it's worth a visit I'd greatly appreciate it... I'll try to get some pics posted from my Museum excursions here in Benton County. I have an old digital camera (not even sure if it still works) but I always get my 35mm film transferred to disk.

I'll see what I can do. But to be honest until you mentioned it I never even heard of a Reptile Museum here before. I won't pretend I've visited every museum in the area but I've at least heard of most of them. But not that one.

I'll see what I can do. But to be honest until you mentioned it I never even heard of a Reptile Museum here before. I won't pretend I've visited every museum in the area but I've at least heard of most of them. But not that one.

All I have on it is:

Ozark Reptile Museum

Whether it's still there or not I don't know.

All I have on it is:

Ozark Reptile Museum

Whether it's still there or not I don't know.

I know that street goes by the Square. Although it could be along a part of it further away. I'll see what I can find out.

I know that street goes by the Square. Although it could be along a part of it further away. I'll see what I can find out.

I called the number once and I think the owner said they're open by appointment... but I don't know if they're still open. It may be in the owner's house or else it would be more well known.

I called the number once and I think the owner said they're open by appointment... but I don't know if they're still open. It may be in the owner's house or else it would be more well known.

Sounds a bit odd, but yeah it doers sound a bit like someone's house and their personal collection. If that's the case then they probably aren't located right by the Square then.

Archived