Museums in NWA

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read a very good article about Monte Ne. Although it's not a museum it strikes me as a museum exhibit that may never be seen again.

Monte Ne

It's been quite a while since the lake has been this low but parts of Monte Ne make appearances on a somewhat regular basis. Seems like a somewhat dry summer exposes at least some of it. I've heard the museum in Rogers has an exhibit talking about it.

It's been quite a while since the lake has been this low but parts of Monte Ne make appearances on a somewhat regular basis. Seems like a somewhat dry summer exposes at least some of it. I've heard the museum in Rogers has an exhibit talking about it.

Yeah, I think they put up an exhibit whenever the lake was receding real low 6 months ago and the ampitheatre was starting to become visible.

Ah, you must be talking about the old ampitheatre and hotel that are in the monte ne area. Due to the lake's low levels, you can see the ampitheatre and hotel pretty good now, since they are usually submerged.

I just found the story of Coin Harvey and Monte Ne to be interesting. To think that there's pyramids in NWA just adds to why this region is so interesting.

I'm going to have to check it out. Here's info on the The Rogers Historical Museum's exhibit:

January 10 - April 15, 2006: "Buried Dreams:

Yeah that certainly surprised me. I was expecting to pay when I got there. I wish I had enough time to also go to the Peel Museum. I did actually see it while I was driving around trying to find the Square. That's what I get for not taking a map. :lol: It seemed really odd sitting there with all that development all around it. But I am glad they preserved it of course.

Yeah that certainly surprised me. I was expecting to pay when I got there. I wish I had enough time to also go to the Peel Museum. I did actually see it while I was driving around trying to find the Square. That's what I get for not taking a map. :lol: It seemed really odd sitting there with all that development all around it. But I am glad they preserved it of course.

Yeah, Peel Museum isn't going anywhere as they have big brother Wal-Mart protecting them from possible takeover by a developer.

• 3 weeks later...

The Rogers Historical Museum is planning to expand and has hopes to draw more people when Bentonville's Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art opens in 2009. See the article... RHM plans to remain a vital part of Rogers.

That's good to hear. It would be nice to see them expand and be able to do more than what they have now.

This will make the Rogers Historical Museum one of the largest museums in NWA. I'm glad to see this, especially seeing as how it's in the downtown district. Hopefully we can attract more of an audience to the museum.

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed we don't really have something more here in Fayetteville. Even if we couldn't get something like a Smithsonian affiliated museum. Just a larger museum to house some of the smaller ones we have would be nice.

^

I guess Fayetteville believes they have the areas largest open-air museum. It would be nice for Fayetteville to build a city museum... I mean come on, Tontitown and even Gravette has one. One of the reasons Rogers is getting the money to expand it's Historic Museum is because Rogers Mainstreet is always #1 in Arkansas' Mainstreet Program.

^

I guess Fayetteville believes they have the areas largest open-air museum. It would be nice for Fayetteville to build a city museum... I mean come on, Tontitown and even Gravette has one. One of the reasons Rogers is getting the money to expand it's Historic Museum is because Rogers Mainstreet is always #1 in Arkansas' Mainstreet Program.

Yeah I haven't quite figured out why Fayetteville hasn't done a little more in the city museum area. I hadn't realized Rogers was top in the Mainstreet program but I do know NWA has done very well and I think people from other cities come check our cities out to see how to model their cities.

Archived