Museums in NWA

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's even won the national award several years in a row, and gets second, third, or honorable mention almost every year.

That's great, I wonder why I haven't seem to have heard about it. That's a shame, you'd think the rest of the metro should get to hear about stuff like that.

^

Rogers is the only city in NWA that is on the Main Street Program. There are 17 cities in Arkansas on the Main Street Program.

Anyway, here are the links to Main Street Rogers, Main Street Arkansas and National Main Street Programs.

Weird I thought Fayetteville and Bentonville were also a part of it. I know I've heard talk of Fayetteville being mentioned with the program before. Unless Fayetteville was just mentioned as being a model because our downtown area has been in pretty good shape overall for a while now. I think really now the only thing that it lacks is some development to build it up some although I doubt that applies for the Main Street Program.

I was out taking some pics for my personal collection and I decided I needed to see what's actually in the Old Courthouse. Most of the time I go by on the weekend or ood hours and it's not open. Looks like it's mainly offices and such. One of Arkansas' senators has offices there. But anyway while I was there I saw a big poster for the Main Street Program there. Just seemed odd to see it there if Fayetteville isn't in it. As I mentioned earlier I don't know if Fayetteville doesn't qualify anymore because it's downtown has pretty much already been revitalized.

Weird I thought Fayetteville and Bentonville were also a part of it. I know I've heard talk of Fayetteville being mentioned with the program before. Unless Fayetteville was just mentioned as being a model because our downtown area has been in pretty good shape overall for a while now. I think really now the only thing that it lacks is some development to build it up some although I doubt that applies for the Main Street Program.

Bentonville doesn't do that program, but they do a similar program that does preserve downtown buildings, and allows more new developments to happen, so the downtown can be more diversified. Bentonville's downtown will be the Nu. 2 downtown in NWA and is right now. They've got a lot going for them, downtown condos, trolley system, and Crystal Bridges.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pea Ridge Historical Society is wanting to open their own museum. Pea Ridge has a rich local history and it's time they had their own museum. Mayor Jackie Crabtree supports the idea of a Pea Ridge Historical Museum. This would add to the list of Northwest Arkansas' many interesting local museums.

The Pea Ridge Historical Society is wanting to open their own museum. Pea Ridge has a rich local history and it's time they had their own museum. Mayor Jackie Crabtree supports the idea of a Pea Ridge Historical Museum. This would add to the list of Northwest Arkansas' many interesting local museums.

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe have it tied into the Civil War Park as well, although I'm sure they'll have other things other than the Civil War period to cover.

• 11 months later...

NWA is heading in the right direction for a Hands-On Science Museum:

"The Arkansas Discovery Network is now presenting its first exhibit to students in Northwest Arkansas. "Grossology: The (Impolite) Science of the Human Body" is an interactive exhibit geared to students grades 3 and up that uses animatronics and imaginative play to explore the good, the bad and the downright ugly about runny noses, body odor and much more. The exhibit is based on the best-selling book by Sylvia Branzei; its creative approach and fun activities have fascinated young students around the country. The University of Arkansas' Center for Mathematics and Science Education is sponsoring the exhibit, free of charge, at the Walton Arts Center Nadine Baum Studio through April 21. From there it will travel around the state for the next two years, making stops at each of the partner museums.

The network is offering a limited number of scholarships to local schools to help meet the cost of bringing students to one of the partner museums. Schools in Northwest Arkansas can apply for the scholarship by contacting the Center for Math and Science Education's director, Lynne Hehr.

Arkansas Discovery Network members include the Museum of Discovery in Little Rock, the Mid-America Science Museum in Hot Springs, the Arts and Science Center for Southeast Arkansas in Pine Bluff, the Texarkana Museum System in Texarkana, the Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources in Smackover and the Arkansas State University Museum in Jonesboro. The Center for Mathematics and Science Education will host network exhibits until a permanent Northwest Arkansas museum partner is established."

http://dailyheadlines.uark.edu/9887.htm

Archived