Anderson Mall

GSP Tiger

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That outdoor center would possibly be better served for more restaurants, residences and a supermarket.

As for Anderson Mall, its claimed to had some interior redecorating in the past year. Its exterior, landscape and pavement needs dire maintenance or overhaul.

Will Dillard's be an addition?

• 2 weeks later...

Link: Anderson Mall Cinema entrance

I came across a photo of the defunct two screen cinema at Anderson Mall. It closed up shop around the same time as the Market Place multiplex having lost business to the more modern AmStar and Starlight cinemas. I think the cinema was demolished for the present day Goody's Family Clothing space.

I think Anderson Mall would had been an excellent fit for a new multiplex had it been renovated some years ago.

I could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, the cinema was around the back of the mall, close to Belk's... but the last time i was there was to see The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as a little kid. Anyway, I really wish that the new movie theater off the interstate had been located near the mall, possibly even joined...

The entrance to the theater was around back. It was pretty popular still in the early 80s, but by the late 80s had really deteriorated. People didn't go there. Hard to say whether that was because they didn't get good movies or if they didn't get good movies because no one went....

It's been awhile since I lived in Anderson but the retail game there was always a little weird. Things were empty (or traffic was light) most of the week but then the weekends were packed (shops, restaurants and theaters).

I wrote this in another thread but much of Anderson's retail commerce happens on weekends when people from all over the county and neighboring counties to the west, north and south (not east - ie Greenville) come to shop and dine. I was always amazed that the number of western GA people who traveled 15-20 minutes to visit Anderson to shop. And I know people from Seneca did the same. I don't know if that still happens but it was a big part of the economy of Anderson in the late 80s and early 90s.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Demolition has started on the Anderson Mall project. See AIM article here. The Anderson Mall is transforming itself into a "lifestyle" center. Good move. The demolition is for a Dillards deptment store. The article mentions a variety of other stores either expanding or coming in for the first time at Anderson Mall.

It's good to see this place getting a major facelift - rather than drifting off into obscurity. I suppose this is in-fill redevelopment Anderson style. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived