72 Grandville - Ice House Renovation

PBJ

Eh, couldn't make it due to insomnia the night before. Figured I'd get some rest when it came rather than push myself to take the tour sleepy.

The photos alone show amazing progress though. I wonder just how much work the floor replacement took (I think you know the floor I'm talking about) and if anything had to be done to prevent it from happening again?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Justin can do a better job than I can explaining it but basically the floor heaving was likely caused by the presence of water under the building. Our guys were careful not to excavate too deep when removing the floor so as to mess with subsurface water flow. Walsh COnstruction did the demo work expertly as they always do.

Pouring the new floor is no different than at any other site....

The interior floors were covered with lightweight gypcrete to obtain a level surface ready to accept final tenant finishes. Basically, our "white box" work is done and the elevator and stair towers are in and complete.

Now, we are waiting for a tenant. Have 2 that have indicated significant interest but no 'done deals' yet. Based on the enthusiasm for the building here at this site, I"ll announce our end-use here before anywhere else....

• 2 months later...

So, it's going to be the Grand Rapids Foundation...

"By Chris KnapeThe Grand Rapids Press GRAND RAPIDS -- The historic Anheuser-Busch icehouse in downtown Grand Rapids is expected to be purchased as the new home for the Grand Rapids Community Foundation.

The foundation expects the project to cost $4.5 million, including $2.26 million to buy the building, 72 Grandville Ave. SW, from developers Sam Cummings and Eric Wynsma.

The move will mark the first time the foundation has owned its own home. The foundation's current headquarters is in leased space in the Waters Building, 161 Ottawa Ave. NW."

GR Press Story

I think it's great that the GRCF is moving in.

I am not sad at all that a bar or restaurant is NOT moving in.

I think it's important to get a mix of both professional/business types and food/entertainment for neighborhood balance.

Any idea how many people are employed at GRCF? Do they intend to add any additional staff?

I think it's great that the GRCF is moving in.

I am not sad at all that a bar or restaurant is NOT moving in.

I think it's important to get a mix of both professional/business types and food/entertainment for neighborhood balance.

Any idea how many people are employed at GRCF? Do they intend to add any additional staff?

In the spirit of Bill Fehsenfeld who posted helpful comments when Schuler's announced that they were opening up a bookstore downtown, I thought it best to comment on the plans to purchase the Icehouse by the Grand Rapids Community Foundation. We all love this building and have wonderful plans for it as a place to bring many people together! If any one is interested in learning more about our preliminary ideas, you can go to our website - grfoundation.org. As some of you may know, the Foundation has been in existence for 85 years and we have donated more than $100 million to our community - not just for capital efforts but also for programs that address so many issues that are critical to our area. We do have 22 staff members and while no immediate plans for expansion - we do have tremendous need for meeting space and I can't think of a better building than this one.

As our plans move forward, I will post on this site. And if any of you have any questions, by all means let me know! Thank you.

Diana Sieger, President

Grand Rapids Community Foundation

In the spirit of Bill Fehsenfeld who posted helpful comments when Schuler's announced that they were opening up a bookstore downtown, I thought it best to comment on the plans to purchase the Icehouse by the Grand Rapids Community Foundation. We all love this building and have wonderful plans for it as a place to bring many people together! If any one is interested in learning more about our preliminary ideas, you can go to our website - grfoundation.org. As some of you may know, the Foundation has been in existence for 85 years and we have donated more than $100 million to our community - not just for capital efforts but also for programs that address so many issues that are critical to our area. We do have 22 staff members and while no immediate plans for expansion - we do have tremendous need for meeting space and I can't think of a better building than this one.

As our plans move forward, I will post on this site. And if any of you have any questions, by all means let me know! Thank you.

Diana Sieger, President

Diana Sieger, President

Welcome Diana !

As you may know your (our?) building at 72 grandville hosted the most well attended (yet) urban planet building tour; there are many fans here.

We did one pre-renovation and a follow up one (which you attended, I think) after the base building rehab was done; this group would love to see final pictures after your tenant fit-out is complete so please share with us when that's all done.

What a great end use for the project, we're all excited.

Eric

Archived