72 Grandville - Ice House Renovation

PBJ

I'm not a country music guy at all but country music is huge around here. We have a few country radio stations and I think B-93 has done a pretty good job of demonstrating the country music demographic in this region.

The top dollar grossing events at the Van Andel Arena are country music related and that's only one of the reasons I think that would go well at this location; we just need to find the right operator ! I could be nuts and we'll certainly improve the building for whatever use presents itself first but that is my current thinking on "ideal" uses.

Regarding the pictures, GRdadof3 from this forum has some. I know this because he has pictures of everything ! Bring it GRdad !

Eric

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe there is a country themed bar south of the city somewhere. I heard it was doing really well and started to broadcast commercials on WXMI here a bit ago. I'm not a fan of country in general, but if it brings a new demographic downtown I say go for it. I don't see why you couldn't partner with B93's parent company to bring talent to a small stage???

I remember at one time Hereford and Hops was going to put a restaurant and brew pub downtown (if I'm not mistaken, it was right before the GR Ballet had their eye on the depot Design Plus is in) and they had planned to have draft horses onsite. Now that is country! :)

Should be cool to see the plans. This (and the building McFadden's is in) have always been my two favorites; pre-rehab, big arena next door era.

Joe

You're probably thinking of the Bresa del Rio. It's in Otsego.

The Margarita Grill also has popular country line dancing nights.

We've got B93, WMUS (106.9 - Muskegon), Thunder 94.5 as well as The Outlaw (92.5 - which is great, give it a listen) which are all popular stations. I think a Country Western club DT would do quite well. After all, isn't GR just a big small town?

I have always thought that this would be a great location to do a train/ 1800s themed establishment. For instance, there is still a little bit of old rail line on the east side of the building. You could put an old pullman car out back and turn it in to a diner/ private dining room. Inside, you could have model trains of all sizes running throughout the building. What would be cool would be to create replications of downtown GR from various periods of time and have the trains run through them.

There are lots of restaurants downtown that attract adults. You could create an atmosphere that draws on nostalgia and attracts families as well as couples.

Make it an attraction. There is lots that you could do with a theme like this. And being that there is potentially going to be a theatre across the street, you can see people making a day out of this!

Good luck whatever you do! :thumbsup:

I have always thought that this would be a great location to do a train/ 1800s themed establishment. For instance, there is still a little bit of old rail line on the east side of the building. You could put an old pullman car out back and turn it in to a diner/ private dining room. Inside, you could have model trains of all sizes running throughout the building.

Two things I really like:

The potential rooftop use is sort of "cradled" between the two higher portions of the building, making it a little cozier and not as windy.

On the street level plan, what's the story with the "limited use space" with the low ceilings? How low is low? Could it be turned into a cool private dining area like the mobster-esque private dining room in the downstairs of The Chop House?

Two things I really like:

The potential rooftop use is sort of "cradled" between the two higher portions of the building, making it a little cozier and not as windy.

On the street level plan, what's the story with the "limited use space" with the low ceilings? How low is low? Could it be turned into a cool private dining area like the mobster-esque private dining room in the downstairs of The Chop House?

Yes, it has the potential for that..

Also the rooftop is just screaming for some cool skybar or outdoor seating area.

It'll all make sense when you see it, so I'll get with the current occupant and see how soon we can get a group through there as we did last year up the street....

The location is a bit out of the way, I guess. It's kind of jammed up next to the s-curve. I know I've driven by it a couple times, but you tend to not get a good view of the roof line from inside a car. When I've been out exploring on my bike I've probably always passed by further south on Cherry.

-nb

Archived