The Boardwalk Condominiums

GRDadof3

Check out page B4 of the Region section today in the Press. Union Square owner Jonathon Rooks is purchasing The Boardwalk on North Monroe and converting it to condominiums. He is working with Brian Winkelmann to convert the 244 units. He went before the Historic Preservation Commission yesterday to obtain approval to add patios in the courtyards and on the exterior, as well as rooftop decks and a pool/spa in one of the courtyards.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take the heat from the admin. The ARTICLE states many will be under $100K, and most will be under $149K. Even though Pioneer got the big tax break, I'm sure the city is thinking this was a good investment.

A building with tenants is better than one with a collapsed roof :D

I was starting to look at them for my next residence as apartments, depending on length of convertion, pricing (including assoc. fees) they still may be well within my reach.

Are they in a Ren Zone for the tax breaks 2018? yes I could look, but i'm far to lazy right now. :lol:

Wow, under 150 sounds pretty good, but I don't know what the units are like. I am interested to see what he will do to the outside of the building (if anything)

They aren't huge, but some are nice. Most have carpet (which I would change immediately) They were built as affordable apartments, not luxury ones (like Clark Place at American Seating). So I'm sure there's plenty of ammenity upgrades avail.

A building with tenants is better than one with a collapsed roof :D

I was starting to look at them for my next residence as apartments, depending on length of convertion, pricing (including assoc. fees) they still may be well within my reach.

Are they in a Ren Zone for the tax breaks 2018? yes I could look, but i'm far to lazy right now. :lol:

no Ren Zone for that building. I've asked them before :angry:

I don't think I like this project. It's just going to take demand away from other condo projects downtown without adding anything. It's one thing to do this to a house uptown, but I think there is only so much demand for condo space dt.

no Ren Zone for that building. I've asked them before :angry:

I don't think I like this project. It's just going to take demand away from other condo projects downtown without adding anything. It's one thing to do this to a house uptown, but I think there is only so much demand for condo space dt.

I think there are a lot of people in the 23-35 year old range that would love to live d/t (while adding to the tax base, which isn't there with apartments if I recall correctly) that can't afford a 300k condo, which right now, most of them are. Union Square is the only "affordable" condo unit d/t for people on the sub 75k/yr pay scale (well unless you wanna get in over your head and do something silly like interest only or something).

I make good money, am single, and 27 (well in a month). There's NO WAY i could afford something on Tannery Row (even though the condos might be cheap, assoc. fees kill you). ICON is 250k+ as are the other big ones, I think this brings affordable long term housing down town, which gets this guys 2 thumbs up

Another apartment building bites the dust.

Don't kid yourself. This thing was slated for condos from the start. However, because they used the Federal Historic Tax Credits on this project they stipulate that the project must remain under one owner for 5 years (read: apartments and not condos). Now that their 5 year tax recapture period is up they have the green light to do what they want with it.

The same will hapen with Am. Seating when their recapture period is over.

Thats what I was thinking, where's GRurbanist?

Yes! I'm a UP Celebrity! Woo Hoo! :yahoo:

I feel bad for the people that have to now pack up and move. And I'm sure the people there are just setting off fireworks at this news. But Nitro made a good point that this is all to get Federal Historic Tax Credits. I just wish these developers were more upfront about this to the people moving in.

But hey... I welcome the people of the Boardwalk to the SCR (Society of Condo Refugees).

Meetings are on the first Tues of the month. Bring a side dish. Turkey sandwiches are prefered. :thumbsup:

dont forget the hot tub. i bet those retail spaces in the bottom will love the view come summer. boobies everywhere while trying to have a meeting. and dont forget the balconys on the interior courtyards... the monroe's got shot down.....so i hear. but i know everything. so i guess i knwo they got shot down.

rooftop divers get ready. here we go again.

i hear rooks in trying to get a mustard named after him.

rooks mustard. spread your seed

dont forget the hot tub. i bet those retail spaces in the bottom will love the view come summer. boobies everywhere while trying to have a meeting. and dont forget the balconys on the interior courtyards... the monroe's got shot down.....so i hear. but i know everything. so i guess i knwo they got shot down.

rooftop divers get ready. here we go again.

i hear rooks in trying to get a mustard named after him.

rooks mustard. spread your seed

boobies everywhere while having a meeting? This is the PERFECT spot to have a meeting :D

and dont forget the balconys on the interior courtyards... the monroe's got shot down.....so i hear. but i know everything. so i guess i knwo they got shot down.

That was in the article :thumbsup: In fact, our old friend from the HPC reared her (ahem) head again coming out against patios on the exterior to preserve the building's industrial heritage. I guess I can see that in a way.

That was in the article :thumbsup: In fact, our old friend from the HPC reared her (ahem) head again coming out against patios on the exterior to preserve the building's industrial heritage. I guess I can see that in a way.

Gotta love them folks from the Hysterical Commission, they would fight to save the historic integrity of the 28th Street sprawl. :rolleyes:

Gotta love them folks from the Hysterical Commission, they would fight to save the historic integrity of the 28th Street sprawl. :rolleyes:

Eh, I see where they're comin on this though.. I don't think the balconys are that big of a deal, but i can see it from their side.

Eh, I see where they're comin on this though.. I don't think the balconys are that big of a deal, but i can see it from their side.

I just back from spending a week in Chicago, and they have dozens of renovated warehouses/factories everywhere with balconies on the outside. And I am sure at least a few of those places had some history like the Berkey & Gay.

Maybe I am just prejudiced against the HPC, because of the b.s. they pulled with saying that GR City Hall was historic because SOM designed it. Oh well, just one man's perception. :whistling:

Archived