The Boardwalk Condominiums

GRDadof3

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what they will do to the interior of that building. I have friends that live there and they complain all the time that the walls are way too thin and you can hear everything going on next door. Of course it doesn't help that most of the tenants there now are loud partying college kids...

Some guy standing on a corner told me that's part of the package :whistling: I believe the standards for condo walls are thicker anyway for fireproofing.

In my limited construction experience we had to put what we called "fireboard" between condo units. I think it is required by law. I dont know if it would have helped with noise or not.

I know in ranch-style condos with fireboard "sandwiched", you can't hear anything between units. I don't know if it's the same treatment in stacked apartment style units.

Low Sound transmission is a very difficult thing to achieve in a project like the boardwalk. It's a one-two punch of correct architectural detailing and correct installation of those details. If one of the other fails to come together forget it.

A rule of thumb for sound transmission is like this; a gap as big as around as your thumb has the equivelant sound transmission of an open window.

So if your neighbors are doing this :yahoo: or this :alc: you're probably screwed

Downtown living: Trains, sirens, neighbors, you get it all ;) And I can hear my neighbor's stereo from inside my house sometimes when he has his little "get togethers", bump, bump, bump. And our houses are probably 20' apart.

Hearing your next-door neighbor walk across his kitchen floor is a lot different than hearing them "bump, bump, bump." :P Granted, I don't know if its THAT bad, but that's what I always assumed.

True, true. It's been a while since I lived in "apartment style" living.

The only thing that annoyed me at American Seating was the 3:30am fire alarm pulls, the "hallway" noise wasnt' to bad, you get used to it. I WAS on the 4th floor, so I didn't have to worry about the GVSU football players doing WWE re-enactments above me like some of my friends.

If you don't like the noise.. buy 10 acres in Dorr.. :D

I just back from spending a week in Chicago, and they have dozens of renovated warehouses/factories everywhere with balconies on the outside. And I am sure at least a few of those places had some history like the Berkey & Gay.

Maybe I am just prejudiced against the HPC, because of the b.s. they pulled with saying that GR City Hall was historic because SOM designed it. Oh well, just one man's perception. :whistling:

Were any of the Chicago places listed on the National Register of Historic Places, like the Berkey and Gay Furniture Company Factory?

Were any of the Chicago places listed on the National Register of Historic Places, like the Berkey and Gay Furniture Company Factory?

No, we're the only city that places our warehouses in historic districts :rofl: Sorry, a little punchy today.

I know in ranch-style condos with fireboard "sandwiched", you can't hear anything between units. I don't know if it's the same treatment in stacked apartment style units.

My condo is a townhouse with some type of "fireboard" between the neighbors walls and mine . . .usually very quiet except when the juveniles next door turn on what sounds like thunder . . very strange and very annoying . . . PBJ's got it right about the 10 acres . . .

yeah, I used to live ina converted warehouse in Atlanta. My neighbor was a "dancer" at the notorius Gold Club. She would bring "patrons" of the club home with her many nights and I would hear the same lines being used, although the faces were different..."Oh, you are the best...the best..." Toward the end, I realized that she could hear me too, so I started yelling "shut up already"

I just moved into the Boardwalk in December and received the notice on my door about the condo conversion on Friday. I will bring the letter with the details ($ amts) to our gathering if it is going to be soon.

Yes, they are adding balconies to the units w/courtyard views, sound proofing the walls and floors, adding private rooftop access to those on the fifth floor, a pool, jacuzzi, a theatre room, etc. They are giving current tenants the first chance to sign up for the unit they are in or another unit that may be available.

They definately need to sound proof, you pretty much know which of your neighbors are "gettin' it" :blush: and which are not.

So far, I really like living there, the atmosphere, the friends I have made already and the bartenders at Waterworks are great! They are having a meeting sometime this month for the residents that are interested in buying. The bummer is, that they expect the renovations to take "several years" and it sure would be nice if I decided to buy my unit if my rent until renovations were done would go towards my mortgage. But, I hear that will not be the case. I already know 3 people in the building who called and put down money the day we were notified.

Just got an email from Brad with details.. I'll post as much as I can w/o breaking rules (GRDadof3 can fix anything that shouldn't be here). The email I got appears to be the same as whatever the residents recieved b/c it states that priority will be given to current residents, and if "As a renter, your current lease is sound."

Introductory prices will range from $150-$160 per square foot (in a market where condos generally sell for $200-$275 per square foot). Our goal is to offer approximately:

Plus, the building is likely to be federally approved through the Community Reinvestment Act for a program which gets you a 20-25% discount off current interest rates on a 30 year, fixed rate mortgage when you close

We plan to retain all the positive features of the building including the gorgeous brick, huge windows, high wood beamed ceilings, and all of the current buildings amenities. To ensure project success, a substantial amount of additional investment is currently planned, including:

Nah.. I kept the actual prices OUT.. although I have em if anyone is interested. The way the letter is written, it appears that if you're leasing there, you're good till the end of your lease, at which time they'll find someone to buy your apartment (if you don't wan to) and either re-lease it to you, or take it over and convert it... so these could remain on the market for a while.

Archived