The Boardwalk Condominiums

GRDadof3

I lived at the boardwalk in 2001/2002 (Right after it opened, first tenant)

We were DIRECTLY above the waterworks on the second floor.

It was pretty bad. I could NEVER sleep.

Anytime there was a band, I could sing the words. Smoke would somehow get thru the floor as well and all my stuff smelled really smoky.

I was under the impression that the person after we left bought the apartment as a condo back then? In 2002.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't believe no one picked up on this part. :blink: That would be way cool!
I just got around to reading it; boat docking would be incredible! :) Would it be on the riverfront in the park right across the street? This would now be another place for boat launches other than Riverside Park, and it's closer to downtown... too bad there are still dams. Do you think the boat docking would be limited to just Boardwalk residents?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two words, "due diligence".

FWIW, they were at the home and garden show passing out flyers on the Boardwalk project. It got me and the new future mrs. interested, the price seems to be in our range.... We rather enjoy the downtown scene, but are priced out of nearly everything else.

Heard that they are going to close down the Waterworks Restaurant/Bar at the Boardwalk on or around 4/1 for remodeling. From what I heard, they are changing the name, changing the menu and should only be closed for about 2-3 weeks. There will be more information after Tuesday.

No, we're the only city that places our warehouses in historic districts :rofl: Sorry, a little punchy today.

Although B & G building has a strong pedigree for preservation because of the role of the Berkey & Gay Furniture Co. in the development of Grand Rapids, keep in mind that this building was designated as historic at the owner's request, thus qualifing them for a subtantial state and federal tax credit.

In spite of this, it appears that Pioneer cut corners on sound-proofing and other matters that Rooks will now need to fix to make the units salable. Go Jon!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone seen the new marketing material for the Boardwalk Condos?

It is as cool as what Parkland Properties did for Union Square.

The Best-Case Scenario

Urban Survival Handbook

I love it!

I saw a "rough draft" version of it. Very clever.

There was a crane hoisting what looked like decking material to the roof of The Boardwalk yesterday.

I saw a "rough draft" version of it. Very clever.

There was a crane hoisting what looked like decking material to the roof of The Boardwalk yesterday.

Do they have a website up yet? Or am I forced to constantly bug Bradley for insider details :P

Marketing materials are readily available in their sales ofc in the Boardwalk bldg. Truth is these spaces will all need significant updating to attract those with higher expectations. I'm also told that the hallways, which to-be-kind resemble an institutional dormitory, are NOT going to get much of a facelift in the renovation. I'm not saying project has no merits, it's just pretty clear that it will end up targeting a slightly different price point than other projects in the area (which is probably a good thing when we think about diversity of housing stock in the central core). The fact that it has a historical designation also prevents any significant exterior modifications.

For what it is worth...

• 2 weeks later...

The North Courtyard Garden area is a true gem downtown. I'm going to try and get in this week and get some photos to post. It's a forest inside an old warehouse. Unbelieveable.

Prior to the tour I had only seen the south courtyard. I was blown away by the 'forest courtyard.'

Well aren't you sneaky. It's a good thing i don't have anything important in there.

haha, yeah i went through and deleted all my important/sensitive stuff once i realized you could do that. I can remove it from my last post if you didn't want that image posted :)

anyone know if they are planning on re-doing the exterior of this building, so it doesnt look so much like an old factory? maybe they want to keep the factory look to it, but are they at least going to make the brick look nicer? their website didn't have any renderings of what the outside is supposed to look like.

anyone know if they are planning on re-doing the exterior of this building, so it doesnt look so much like an old factory? maybe they want to keep the factory look to it, but are they at least going to make the brick look nicer? their website didn't have any renderings of what the outside is supposed to look like.

I believe since its an historic structure they can't do anything to the exterior. I wouldn't want them to anyways.

http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplace...Kent/state.html

I don't think they are planning on doing much. I guess they requested to put balconies on the the units facing Monroe but got denied by the city, which is a shame since the view is great. Only the interior units facing the courtyard/forest/swimming pool will have balconies.

Archived