Economic Development on NPR - Perspectives

thetoolman

Perspectives Show Archive - Jan 5th Show on Economic Development (click on 2006 archives)

Dr. Bill Law (TCC & EDC), Brian Desloge (TLH Chamber), Michael Walker (NPR) discuss economic development, Turbocor, and other related issues.

I caught the end of this on the radio this morning. The archived show is available with the link above.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently listening to this... thanks for sharing it with us thetoolman. I like these types of shows, we don't have enough of them going on, and its finally good to hear someone talking about ED after the Turbocor issue over 3 weeks ago. We need to keep this going.

One of the most important things I've heard thus far has been the speed of getting permits. I think that's a valid concern that we need to address.

just finished listening to the nearly hour long perspectives show and I'm not coming away from it with anymore information than I had when I started listening to it. In ways it frustrates me at how calculated some of the responses are to some of the questions are.

On there a lady asks, "why are we still clear cutting for development" well heck... it sure is difficult to build something if I don't clear the property, on top of that, you've got to lay pipe, and cables, and all sorts of other things buildings will need.

My dad always asks why we must dig a retention pond next to every major development we do... well dad its for flood control, and habitat replacement. I like some of the things we do to soften the impact our growth has on the environment, and we should continue to do these things. Meanwhile, we need to also learn to speed it up. Because as one of the guest on the show states, there ARE many people who let papers sit on their desks for weeks and months at a time. That should be a crime in my book. I like the thought of a project being proposed today and up and running in 6 months like Turbocor... we need more of that, especially some of our downtown projects, and public works projects (capital circle especially).

OH! Another good point was made by a caller who said, in Canada Turbocor had no market for its product which is why they wanted to come to Florida. I agree with this. If they are building efficient A/C compressors, the south is the best place to be. I'm more confident than ever, after hearing the caller's comments, that Turbocor will be an overnight success, especially in the face of rising energy cost, and a new location where Air Conditioning is more critical.

I think its going to be very interesting to watch as the building goes up in such a short period of time. This is unprecidented (sp?) in our community, and surely other companies are taking notice of Turbocor's intrance into the Florida capital as they may be waiting to do the same.

Face it, Tallahassee, despite the perception that homes are expensive here, is still Florida's most attractive real-estate market for your average person. Our quality of life is among the best, and cost of living is much lower than South Florida. Business are going to be looking for places to relocate jobs to once the headaches of living south of us become unbareable, and they will be looking at how successful Turbocor's move to Tallahassee was. Will this community welcome them with open arms? With $50,000/yr avg. salaries we better!

Thanks for the hookup toolman, avid Home Improvement Fan I see :D.

This archive is basically confirming what I've said in the past. Turbocor would have made major dough down here. What better region to relocate your market/company to than the South? It's hot as fire and people would be more than happy to buy your product. Hopefully COT and the county commission will rethink the decision, but if not then Turbocor could relocate elsewhere in the south.

Hopefully COT and the county commission will rethink the decision, but if not then Turbocor could relocate elsewhere in the south.

What do you mean? COT made the right decision. Turbocor is ours. They're coming to Tallahassee.

It is the county that has missed the bus on this one. One thing to remember, High Risk yields a High Return. COT did the right thing and the county, if they choose not to join, will likely regret it.

this is a good thing. I have confidence in the product our decision has presented to companies. it is important to be easy, here we nearly lost a clean company making clean products. really, industry gain with no polition damage? Why would that be bad. We own the building. we own the potential.

The spin off potential is what excites me most. Just think, these people are going to buy homes, and cars, and need a place to eat, and not to mention with all of the new construction in Tallahassee and throughout the rest of the south, these large commercial projects are going to need efficient AC systems.

I think the county was rightly cautious in their approach, given that they felt it was making a risky investment. They were not investing their own money, and if they were they would have been more open to the idea (per statements from county officials).

I think the difference between the city's approach and the county's was the COT saw that the risk was mitigated by ownership in the real estate, the improved "reputation" of the area in regards to economic development, and the backing of the two larger companies in the joint venture.

It is risky because they don't have a proven track record. Our problem is that we can't really be that picky yet.

I think it is a good step in the right direction.

I think the county was rightly cautious in their approach.

Nothing against you, thetoolman, but the County paid money for a study that suggested it would have been a wise investment of public money to invest in the company. Yes the report outlined some concerns with the youth of the company, but the conclusion was a decisive "its worth the risk". The county ignored this, the city did not.

The County, in my opinion, isn't currently serious about Economic Development. Maybe things will change after the next election.

By now I hope they've cleared it of tree. This thing has got to be done by Summer! LOL.

There are already alot of areas here that have had no trees on it for a few years. They could be using one of those. I saw some people doing surveying yesterday near the engineering school, but the student do that often for class projects.

I keep my eye open for more info.

...but the County paid money for a study that suggested it would have been a wise investment of public money to invest in the company. Yes the report outlined some concerns with the youth of the company, but the conclusion was a decisive "its worth the risk". The county ignored this, the city did not.

You are exactly right about this TJ as usual. This report is what convinced me that the project was worth the risk. Before I was "on the fence" about the project but once I heard about the report, I was all for it.

I heard briefly last night on the news that the county is now going to sue the city over the Welanuee annexation???? You guys hear this too? As a taxpayer and resident of both the county and city, I must ask, what oh what purpose does this type of lawsuit serve? I only see it as another clear case for consolidation.

Here's the story

You are exactly right about this TJ as usual.

I heard briefly last night on the news that the county is now going to sue the city over the Welanuee annexation???? You guys hear this too? As a taxpayer and resident of both the county and city, I must ask, what oh what purpose does this type of lawsuit serve? I only see it as another clear case for consolidation.

Here's the story

HA! You're funny Poonther!

And You're right, as usual. WCTV called Mr. English yesterday, but he wasn't here so I put the call thru to Mrs. Hurst who did the interview. I also handled the documents that we sent over to the courthouse yesterday as a response to the county. I don't think this lawsuit will serve much of a purpose at all. What's the purpose of having a Mayor/Chair meeting everyweek, if they can't discuss matters like this without litigation? Its not only a waist of our tax dollars, its a waste of my personal time walking around this office, and over to the courthouse with the stupid papers in my hand.

All this arguing & bickering & lawsuits is a waste of everyone's time & a waste of taxpayers money! I agree with poonther, it's way past time for CONSOLIDATION. It's ridiculous to have only one municipality here in Leon County but we run, and finance, 2 completely seperate governments....what duplicity & waste! It all comes down to being a power struggle....especially among the law enforcement agencies.

I too am a strong supporter of Consolidation and would love to see it on a ballot now that I can vote. I think given the response to the coal inititive, the vote on blueprint, and the school tax, I'm confident we can find the votes to consolidate the City of Tallahassee and Leon County.

Archived