UAE to fine speeders automatically without speed cameras

FaeLLe

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:shok:

That's not right. Pretty soon than, every single car in the world will have that technology. But no matter, one could probably easily take off the computer.

Not if they are linked to your Engine Immobolizer systems..... and what if your pulled over by a copper and they find they system delinked and impound your car ?

Nasty :cry:

Hmmm. Interesting, but it is getting a bit intrusive. At the same time, people shouldn't be doing it! If it were up to a vote, I'd vote "no". But at least it warns you first before you actually get the ticket. I'd imagine a similar technology could be applied to running red lights too...

Hmmm. Interesting, but it is getting a bit intrusive. At the same time, people shouldn't be doing it! If it were up to a vote, I'd vote "no". But at least it warns you first before you actually get the ticket. I'd imagine a similar technology could be applied to running red lights too...

But No illegal Street Racing. :D

All I can say is I hope this doesn't come to the U.S.!

Heh, we have had this in Charlotte for a couple of years now. Automatic radar detects your speed, if you are above the speed limit it takes a photo of your license tag and you get a fine in the mail. It is a mobile system so they move them around the city so you never know when you might get tagged.

Same for the red light cameras. Catches people running red lights. We have that too.

Heh, we have had this in Charlotte for a couple of years now. Automatic radar detects your speed, if you are above the speed limit it takes a photo of your license tag and you get a fine in the mail. It is a mobile system so they move them around the city so you never know when you might get tagged.

Same for the red light cameras. Catches people running red lights. We have that too.

But you see the thing is ............ in this system there are NO cameras ! The car will fine itself :silly:

But you see the thing is ............ in this system there are NO cameras ! The car will fine itself :silly:

Well actually we have those too. But they are used by commercial companies to keep their drivers under the posted speed limits. If they go too fast, the vehicle automatically reports it to their company and then the company takes whatever disciplinary action they feel is appropriate. This technology has been around for several years.

From a legal standpoint, the US Constitution would not allow a device in an individual's car that could report evidence against the owner that could be used in a court of law. This is called "Double Jeopardy" and the 5th Amendment of the US Constitution does not allow it.

United States 5th Amendment

" No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."

A requirement to install a device in the automobile that would report against you would be considered "witness against himself".

I've heard London is going big time into a system that reminds me of something like this. But it's a lot more than just speeding. They want to keep track of all suspicious vehicles and keep tabs on cars that may have been stolen or involved with crimes. London is already the most 'watches' city in the world, with it's extensive camera and surveillance system.

Automatic radar's were used throughout New Orleans for a short time a couple of years ago, before funding for the "safer roads" project was cut. When they were originaly put into place, residents of Orleans Parish were unhappy to say the least. :lol:

The red light cameras have been used in certain areas of metro New Orleans for a few years now, but they are just starting to be used here on the northshore of Lake Ponchartrain, where traffic and traffic accidents have skyrocketed since Katrina.

Well see we also have radar detectors that can track the radar in those machines, in cop cars, and in your local grocery store automatic doors. :D

Well actually we have those too. But they are used by commercial companies to keep their drivers under the posted speed limits. If they go too fast, the vehicle automatically reports it to their company and then the company takes whatever disciplinary action they feel is appropriate. This technology has been around for several years.

Now that you mentioned it I know for a fact that the Taxi companies in Dubai have that system where they are warned by a LOUD noise from their GPS positioning systems that double serve as meters.

If they ignore the complaining wailing noise a fine is recorded for the driver and relayed back to HQ.

Now that you mentioned it I know for a fact that the Taxi companies in Dubai have that system where they are warned by a LOUD noise from their GPS positioning systems that double serve as meters.

If they ignore the complaining wailing noise a fine is recorded for the driver and relayed back to HQ.

I've heard of that system, but I', not sure on exact cities.

I've heard of that system, but I', not sure on exact cities.

Anybody know details on how they work? I mean, does the drivier have 5 seconds, 10 seconds to react to the warning? What about a system that would "know" which speedlimits applied to various locations or streets and if the driver exceeded, why worry about fining, just limit the speed automatically by on-board computer! :rolleyes:

Anybody know details on how they work? I mean, does the drivier have 5 seconds, 10 seconds to react to the warning? What about a system that would "know" which speedlimits applied to various locations or streets and if the driver exceeded, why worry about fining, just limit the speed automatically by on-board computer! :rolleyes:

It gives a warning to the driver to slow down, and if they don't it will record on the computer and sent to a mainframe where it will give the driver a ticket.

It gives a warning to the driver to slow down, and if they don't it will record on the computer and sent to a mainframe where it will give the driver a ticket.

Hmmm. I wonder if they have a chance to argue it like here; you sign the ticket, but doesn't mean your guilty until you go before the judge. What if the system is out of calibration, or something like that? Automated systems seem like a good idea, but are they fair?

Hmmm. I wonder if they have a chance to argue it like here; you sign the ticket, but doesn't mean your guilty until you go before the judge. What if the system is out of calibration, or something like that? Automated systems seem like a good idea, but are they fair?

That's a great argument.

I say the system is completly unfair, but if you are caught "speeding", I think the fine should be significantly lower than what it is today, since almost everyone would get caught speeding.

Archived