Downtown Keeps Them Coming back

gs3

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What building are they referring to in this quote?

A nine-story tower on South Main for offices and a restaurant with a view of the river will be finished by the end of the year, along with high-end condominiums next door. A new Hampton Inn and Suites at the site should be finished early next year.

This isn't the office building on South Main, is it? I thought it was 6 stories (7 tops)?

The more re-read that article, the more I realize they're talking about the RiverPlace Office Building, but it's not 9 stories.

As far as whether the towers belong in the West End, I don't believe they do. The Hampton Inn and the Terrace are going to be 6 stories on the Camperdown end and 8 stories on the Reedy end. Also, we have the Camperdown Condos which is going to be around 12-14 stories, I believe and the Phase III of RiverPlace, which is rumored to be planned for 12+ stories. So, there will be some towers in the West End

However, my opinion is that the high rise towers (with the exception of the ones mentioned) really belong from Broad Street to the North.

A friend told me they consider the Hampton Inn to be a 9 story building because one of the floors (maybe ground level from Camperdown end, or a lower level from the river end) is double the height of all the other floors. Sounds silly to me.....it's still an 8 story building.

This is very random, but that's how I operate :) :

Every year a meeting takes place and it rotates between Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville. It's something for Educators or Principals or Counselors, I can't remember, but anyway, I've heard many times that the people who go year after year LOVE :wub: when it's held in Greenville. I think it's typically at the Hyatt. Anyway, they often comment on how much there is to do and the great choice of shops and resturants that are in walking distance. A lot of people have actually said that they wished that it was in Greenville every year.

I think that speaks volumes for the city and its efforts in downtown. :thumbsup: As much as I enjoy bashing Columbia (jk), I think it's quite an honor to be told that they like the scene in Greenville far better than that of Charleston or Columbia.

This is very random, but that's how I operate :) :

Every year a meeting takes place and it rotates between Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville. It's something for Educators or Principals or Counselors, I can't remember, but anyway, I've heard many times that the people who go year after year LOVE :wub: when it's held in Greenville. I think it's typically at the Hyatt. Anyway, they often comment on how much there is to do and the great choice of shops and resturants that are in walking distance. A lot of people have actually said that they wished that it was in Greenville every year.

I think that speaks volumes for the city and its efforts in downtown. :thumbsup: As much as I enjoy bashing Columbia (jk), I think it's quite an honor to be told that they like the scene in Greenville far better than that of Charleston or Columbia.

Always love hearing how outsiders feel about Greenville.

I read something in the article about a proposed children's museum. Any word on that? I wouldn't be surprised if the city built bigger than EdVenture to claim the title of largest children's museum in the Southeast. ;)

That's not going to be the case, krazeeboi! :lol: Imagine Nation, the Children's Museum of the Upstate, will be located at the site of the old Greenville Library System's Main Branch on Heritage Green. I've not been to EdVenture yet, but I intend to get down to Columbia with my kids to check it out before long. Imagine Nation will be much smaller, from what I understand.

The children's museum isn't part of Imagine Nation, is it?

That's correct. :)

For now, they only have the location. They're still in fund-raising mode and will hopefully begin to rennovate the building once they've raised enough. They did sponsor the kids activities tent at Artisphere last year, so they're starting to make their presence known. There's no web site yet (that I know of), so for more information, call 864-233-7755.

I know we have an "Upstate Events" Thread over in the Upstate Metros Parent Forum, but we probably need a "Greenville Events" Thread here, too, to capture things like this.

Thanks for the clue-in, btw, EdPro! :thumbsup:

Agreed. We definitely a Greenville Events thread. I never think to look in the Upstate Events and Greenville has ALOT going on! :thumbsup:

Thats fine, but there is only one post that really counts for an 'event' in this thread, which is in post #9 by GvilleSC. If he wants to repost that info, that is fine. Othewise I'll just leave it as is.

Also, make sure you still contribute to the Upstate Events thread.

Archived