West Virginia Miners followup

PghUSA

It was a unique experience to hear the national media so close to home (didn't some fly into Pgh?), very reminiscent of the Somerset Pa. "all 9 alive" drama a few years back, complete with a Governor's appearance. Now I hear that the WVU hospital in Morgantown is over it's head and is transferring the one survivor to Allegheny General in Pittsburgh. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06005/633269.stm

Add to that, I just want to express the outstanding coverage the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has done on this story regularly beating out the "more local" papers of Morgantown and Charleston WV, in scope and scoop. The PG online has been the A team for all info related to the crisis and subsequent tragedy, providing multiple angles on this story. Maybe it is tooting its own horn some but the PG was the only major paper to get the story right on the morning after the disaster, such standards as the NY Times, NY Newsday, Boston Globe, Philly Inquirer, and papers that are more local to the scene such as the Charleston WV, and Cleveland PlainDealer all had the wrong story leading.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06005/632973.stm

Pittsburgh is blessed with not only one but two world-class newspapers IMO!

Finally, the devices that gave the miners a chance to escape, as well as the ones that enabled the rescue teams to do their job were all engineered and manufactured here in Pittsburgh by two different companies!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06005/632672.stm

Just amazing to me that a world news event such as this has Pittsburgh interlaced into every layer. My prayers go out to the families.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am taking a class right now which is taught by a Post Gazette writer. She described to us what it was like for reporters down there during this tragedy. Waiting around, having to skip meals and sleep, so they would not miss anything. She also said that the Post Gazette put out an early edition saying 12 survived, but when they learned the truth they stopped the presses and corrected it.

Did anyone else read about the notes some of the miners wrote for their loved ones? I guess they knew they were not going to make it, so they wrote out notes saying they were not in pain etc. Very touching. What a tragedy the whole thing is.

Not to sound too shallow, but this kind of puts an interesting twist on the Pitt-WVU thing that they transfered him to Pittsburgh from Morgantown (even if not to UPMC directly)

Pittsburgh is blessed with not only one but two world-class newspapers IMO!

That is a bit of a stretch in so many directions!

I am taking a class right now which is taught by a Post Gazette writer. She described to us what it was like for reporters down there during this tragedy. Waiting around, having to skip meals and sleep, so they would not miss anything. She also said that the Post Gazette put out an early edition saying 12 survived, but when they learned the truth they stopped the presses and corrected it.

Did anyone else read about the notes some of the miners wrote for their loved ones? I guess they knew they were not going to make it, so they wrote out notes saying they were not in pain etc. Very touching. What a tragedy the whole thing is.

What I wonder is why there was a rumor that the miners were not only OK but would visit their families at the church? I can udnerstand how people could mishear things and think that 12 miners were alive. But that they were not only alive but well enough to go to the church and meet their families????

What I heard was this: Someone supposedly overheard somebody say they had found the miners and were checking vital signs. This was taken to mean they were alive. Rather than be cautious and wait, they went and told someone else what they'd heard. Rumor grew from there, as rumors do.

Very sad.

Tooluther and Mj,

I'd enjoy learning how we are lacking in this area, and how we can improve:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20142

As far as the mining situation anyone know why they xferred him back to Ruby? Family and friends most probably but if I was family and the docs thought he had a better shot last week at AGH, I'd insist he stay there.

Tooluther and Mj,

I'd enjoy learning how we are lacking in this area, and how we can improve:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20142

As far as the mining situation anyone know why they xferred him back to Ruby? Family and friends most probably but if I was family and the docs thought he had a better shot last week at AGH, I'd insist he stay there.

I imagine the expense also had to do with it. AGH is likely alot more expensive than Ruby. Their medical carrier probably would not allow for more days at AGH than necessary.

G, yeah that's how I read the story, I'm no doc, but I would think the constant moving isn't a great thing for him. I do agree that proximity to the family and friends factor especially for someone with BD and in a coma is vital.

The AGH money situation I think could have been worked out, it was an opportunity for the hospital to get great goodwill from worldnews, although I would agree usually AGH is more pricey then Ruby, i'm guessing.

Archived