What NWA City will be the first to reach 100,000?

What NWA City will be the first to reach 100,000?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think will reach 100,000 first?

• Rogers
    • Fayetteville
    • Springdale
    • Other

I remember that, it was a huge deal.

I don't think Lowell will allows itself to be annexed. In the long run I think its central location and abundance of land will help give it a leg up on its neighbors for developments and I think in a decade it will be a more upscale haven than Springdale and Rogers.

I could see it being more upscale than parts of Rogers in the future. But Rogers is developing some pretty nice areas. Lowell might have it's work cut out for it to pass those areas up.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see it being more upscale than parts of Rogers in the future. But Rogers is developing some pretty nice areas. Lowell might have it's work cut out for it to pass those areas up.

I think the Pinnacle Area will remain the most upscale region in Benton County and NWA for quite some time. Lowell needs to develop the 264 corridor into a more upscale enviroment.

I meant as an overall community. Rogers gets the best developments in NWA right now but has a lot of marginal areas as well that have potential to become blighted though I wouldn't call the city "blighted" just yet. Lowell has the potential to be a Maumelle, a community that excludes the lower class completely.

I meant as an overall community. Rogers gets the best developments in NWA right now but has a lot of marginal areas as well that have potential to become blighted though I wouldn't call the city "blighted" just yet. Lowell has the potential to be a Maumelle, a community that excludes the lower class completely.

It seems everyone in NWA has a fixation on the term "upscale"... well every great Metro needs some lower class areas. How else will all those people living in the "upscale" areas feel important? There are communities that exclude the upper class as well... mainly because they wouldn't be caught dead there.

It seems everyone in NWA has a fixation on the term "upscale"... well every great Metro needs some lower class areas. How else will all those people living in the "upscale" areas feel important? There are communities that exclude the upper class as well... mainly because they wouldn't be caught dead there.

:lol: True

Interesting. My opinion has always been that nice areas propagate more nice ones and run down ones multiply as well. Every metro in America has some run-down areas but would you rather NWA strive to be more like Naples, FL or more like Mobile, AL? NWA would be very wise to carefully watch blight and urban decay and try to thwart it before it becomes a problem. A lot of Spingdale is blighted and parts of Rogers and South Fayetteville are as well. What you don't want is for these areas to grow significantly and take over the cities. Springdale is really at a high risk of that, I think.

Springdale is really at a high risk of that, I think.

Yes, Springdale is about the most at risk for Urban decay, along with parts of eastern and northern Rogers, and south Fayetteville.

Hopefully the Wagon Wheel Corridor in Springdale along with the stadium can help fix some of the decay. It's really bad along 71-B, I don't know what can be done there, but it reminds me of driving through Miami.

Yes, Springdale is about the most at risk for Urban decay, along with parts of eastern and northern Rogers, and south Fayetteville.

Hopefully the Wagon Wheel Corridor in Springdale along with the stadium can help fix some of the decay. It's really bad along 71-B, I don't know what can be done there, but it reminds me of driving through Miami.

I think they're trying to make some efforts in south Fayetteville. The tech business park was eventually built down there. I think even having Baum Stadium is helping that area of south Fayetteville. But I want to see more effort on 71B. Especially since it's heavily traveled and rahter noticeable.

I think they're trying to make some efforts in south Fayetteville. The tech business park was eventually built down there. I think even having Baum Stadium is helping that area of south Fayetteville. But I want to see more effort on 71B. Especially since it's heavily traveled and rahter noticeable.

Agreed. I think it will be the easiest area to fix, though, because of the UA's presence. There was talk at one time of a big project at Drake Field - are there any plans to do anything there?

Agreed. I think it will be the easiest area to fix, though, because of the UA's presence. There was talk at one time of a big project at Drake Field - are there any plans to do anything there?

Matt just posted something today about getting something from Ft Smith moved to Drake Field, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Interesting. My opinion has always been that nice areas propagate more nice ones and run down ones multiply as well. Every metro in America has some run-down areas but would you rather NWA strive to be more like Naples, FL or more like Mobile, AL? NWA would be very wise to carefully watch blight and urban decay and try to thwart it before it becomes a problem. A lot of Spingdale is blighted and parts of Rogers and South Fayetteville are as well. What you don't want is for these areas to grow significantly and take over the cities. Springdale is really at a high risk of that, I think.

I most certainly would not want NWA to become Naples, FL or Mobile, AL... there's a fine line between what you call Urban Decay and what I call Urban Demise. Naples, FL is nothing but rich snobs that don't care about the poor and Mobile, AL is just the opposite. St. Petersburg, FL has a very reasonable mix of Upper Class areas and Poor Areas and you can find Million Dollar Condos across the street from Low Income Housing Projects there.

The main reason I'm against beautifying all of NWA is that it segregates the Upper Class from the Lower Class and I don't see any reason to do that in an area that already shows very little concern for the poor and the senior citizens that are forced to live with their children because there just isn't enough low income or public housing in NWA. Sure there are a couple 40-unit low income retirement homes being built here and there but there are literally hundreds of low income people and people living on social security on 2 year waiting lists for public and section 8 housing.

Matt just posted something today about getting something from Ft Smith moved to Drake Field, maybe that's what you were thinking of?

The US Military Air Tanker Facility is moving to Drake Field.

I have heard rumors about a large FBO coming to Drake Field, but nothing has been done. I didn't have any specifics on what it was either.

I'm hoping it does.

But of course, none of these are set in stone yet. It would be great if all of those continued to hapen, as it would make NWA's job economy very diversified.

With the University's growth and the Genesis Tech Park in South Fay. expanding rapidly, I think that Fayetteville will be the first to hit 100K. Springdale will be following close behind, but with the growing white-collar jobs in Fayetteville. We will keep more students and bring in more people in the next 10-15 years.

Archived