New Renaissance owners to add second tower

doormanpoet

Please do not discuss this beyond this board, but I have been informed by my general manager that the new owners are interested in building a second Renaissance tower, either on the lot behind Hume Fogg High School next to the new gymnasium, or where the James Robertson Apartments now stand.

They will be spending 6.1 million dollars to improve the property including a new front entrance, and in anticipation of a new convention center, a second tower. This is supposed to get rolling in 2006.

More info as I get it.

My GM told me not to tell my real estate friend yet....he did not say not to post it on a forum! But seriously, do not mention this to the general public or any media outlet...

John

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DP

Great news, I hope it gets started this year. Are they going to wait for the convention center or try to jump the competition?

How big would the hotel be? It is high 600 rooms now and a second tower would add what, 400-600 more rooms? That would make it one the largest Renaissance hotel in the country if not the largest.

Please do not discuss this beyond this board, but I have been informed by my general manager that the new owners are interested in building a second Renaissance tower, either on the lot behind Hume Fogg High School next to the new gymnasium, or where the James Robertson Apartments now stand.

That would be a tragedy if the JRA is demolished. It is the last Art Deco high-rise (or high-rise going by the time-frame of its construction) left in Nashville. I'd hope they would find some way to preserve it. :(

Most likely the same height. We currently have 673 roooms, but we are only 25 floors of the total of 31. I am assuming the second tower would be 25 floors or so. Again, this is contigent on the development of the $400 million dollar convention center. The renovation starts in 2006, but no word on the tower yet. Remember, Marriott, in regards to the media, still denies on their website that the hotel is even for sale. A letter of intent has been signed by a noted large development firm and holding company, but the official sale has not happened yet.

This may and could be the biggest downtown real estate transaction/renovation/construction deal we have seen in a long time. Although Signature is a big deal, that is still 500 condo owners and the rest of us won't have access to it. This Renaissance deal can be one that starts a hotel tower boom.

This may and could be the biggest downtown real estate transaction/renovation/construction deal we have seen in a long time. Although Signature is a big deal, that is still 500 condo owners and the rest of us won't have access to it. This Renaissance deal can be one that starts a hotel tower boom.

It could be pretty exciting. More people brings more activity. I'd slightly disagree on one thing, DP. It would be the convention center that would start a hotel boom. Please see my reasons why on the thread about "Most important downtown development" (or something like that).

cool. I still prefer some other hotel to anchor a new convention center though. Options in lodging are needed if we are to compete with bigger convention cities. I have mixed feelings about a second tower because it will look so obviously different than the first. Maybe they can follow the same style as the current tower....

Gateway is the logical choice if the convention center is built in SoBro. The rumour mill hsa mention a 70-story Peabody or a large Marriott Marquee in the past. The former WES lot seems idea but one of the reasons for the failure of this development was the inability to land a large hotel tenant. The work was that Intercontinental Hotels were interested but I guess they were not eady to ink the deal.

Gateway is the logical choice if the convention center is built in SoBro. The rumour mill hsa mention a 70-story Peabody or a large Marriott Marquee in the past. The former WES lot seems idea but one of the reasons for the failure of this development was the inability to land a large hotel tenant. The work was that Intercontinental Hotels were interested but I guess they were not eady to ink the deal.

Gateway is a good choice. I for one think this Hampton Inn is just tacky and down right stupid. The fact that the city allowed such a pathetic design go through for one of the marquee points in the city just baffles me. We can't get a baseball stadium to pass thorugh the council, but there is no problem with a tacky, out of scale, midrise chain MOTEL getting through the city. I shake my head in disbelief.

I suspect Intercontinental is still in the market for a DT hotel. Maybe WES was too far out of the core?

Nashville is ripe for a more luxury chain like Conrad, Four Seasons or Intercontinental. I'd like to see IC build something breathtaking in Nashville. While I agree that the design of the Hampton Inn is boring and quite common.... its a good development all the same because not everyone cannot afford the Hilton or a Westin. We want people to visit downtown - we just need to find a way to lodge them stylishly for cheap.

Nashville is ripe for a more luxury chain like Conrad, Four Seasons or Intercontinental. I'd like to see IC build something breathtaking in Nashville. While I agree that the design of the Hampton Inn is boring and quite common.... its a good development all the same because not everyone cannot afford the Hilton or a Westin. We want people to visit downtown - we just need to find a way to lodge them stylishly for cheap.

I can think of three hotels already in downtown that could serve that purpose though (Holiday Inn, Marriot-Courtyard, and the Best Western). I just think the city could've done better with that lot.

I personally don't see a problem with the Hampton, the syle or the location. I've been in cheap motels, and this isn't one. If we're going to be a downtown for everyone, we'd better have these things, and plenty of them. Luxury hotel towers are fine, but if we don't provide nice accomodations for those on a budget, they'll just have to stay outside of town. Denying the postive impact of things like the Hampton would be just shooting ourselves in the foot. Bring 'em on.

Here's the interior of the Green Hills Hampton, similar to what will be downtown. If anyone sees a resemblence to a Motel 6 or Ernie's Truck Stop Inn, let me know.

HamptonGreenHills.jpg

I would not call Hampton In cheap either. The Average Rate at the one in green Hills is over 120.00 a night. That is more than a couple of the downtown hotels. I think however the one in green Hills is a HI & suites. I don't think the one on 4th is. Someone correct me if I am wrong. That will bring the rate down a little. Most Hampton Inns run from 89 to 159 a night.

I don't have a problem at all with this project. It is better than a surface lot and one of the servers at Solo Mio told me they can't wait for the hotel to open. It means more business for them. This hotel is going to be attractive to the corporate business traveler. They are not going after family or convention business. This is a Hampton Suites, not a Hampton Inn.

I'm guessing this Hampton Suites will be a AAA 3-Star hotel, not some 1-Star travelodge. I don't think Nashville has shown that it wants to be an upscale destination. It is for everyone, and needs acccomidations for everyone.

DP, do you know if this tower should be a twin to the current tower, or do they want something different? Also, I know that the current tower looks somewhat isolated from the rest of the skyline in certain shots, will this close in the gap a little bit?

Well thats unfortunate. Unless it was a recent inquiry, looks like it is just a myth in the past. The proposal kinda reminds me of the peachtree in Atlanta. First Real tall building in the city as it was jumpstarting (both 70-73 stories). Has anyone else made that connection?

Archived