Metro DC construction

urbanvb

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Making Way for a Main Street, U.S.A.

Waldorf Center Aims to Be Iconic Hub

In fast-growing Southern Maryland, residents say shopping and entertainment offerings have failed to keep pace with the region's increase in personal wealth and education levels.

But there are signs of change in Charles, the most populous of Southern Maryland's three counties. One of the Washington area's largest developers is planning a $62 million lifestyle retail and entertainment center in Waldorf, and at least two other similar developments are in the works nearby, though on smaller scales.

PH2006082401819.jpg

GR2006082500083.gif

story

I had hoped that the tornado would have provided the impetus for clever, creative development in La Plata. This does not appear to have happened as yet. It's a good idea to create something in the way of a "town center" for Waldorf, as there is only a vestigial downtown there. St. Charles (aka St. Charles City) is a horror I'd rather not discuss. It would be nice to see more prosperity creep down Rte. 301 to La Plata. As the county seat, it deserves to be more attractive.

• 3 weeks later...

Multiuse Complex Is Planned at Savage Station

Development Being Driven By Fort Meade Expansion

PH2006091301146.jpg

An Annapolis development firm has won the right to transform a 15-acre, state-owned parking lot adjacent to the Savage MARC station into a $175 million complex of offices, residences and shops, ending a three-year search for a private company to jump-start the languishing industrial enclave along the Howard-Anne Arundel county border.

story

• 2 weeks later...

Developer plans $70M project on Route 50

For his first venture as a real estate development entrepreneur, Matt Birenbaum wants to clean up a piece of his own backyard.

Birenbaum is leading a proposed $70 million makeover of two commercial properties in Lyon Park, an Arlington neighborhood next to Fort Myer where he lives.

story

Developers Selected to Transform Southwest Waterfront

A team of developers was chosen last night to transform 47 acres of the Southwest Washington waterfront, from the 12th Street Bridge to Fort McNair, into a multimillion-dollar neighborhood with housing, restaurants, shops, offices and cultural attractions.

The team's lead developers, PN Hoffman of the District and Baltimore's Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse, plan to invest $800 million to turn a concrete-heavy product of 1960s urban renewal into a leafy, park-like setting that attempts to capitalize on the riverfront landscape, with an inviting promenade and tall ships docking at the piers.

PH2006092802024.jpg

Developers PN Hoffman and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse plan to transform Washington's Southwest waterfront into a multimillion-dollar neighborhood.

Developers Selected to Transform Southwest Waterfront

PH2006092802024.jpg

Developers PN Hoffman and Struever Bros. Eccles & Rouse plan to transform Washington's Southwest waterfront into a multimillion-dollar neighborhood.

SW Waterfront is my neighborhood. It is about time the city comes up with a comprehensive plan to redevelop a prime piece of real estate close to Downtown. I just wonder what will become of my current home?

Brookland: The next big thing in D.C. turnarounds

Roz Moore, owner of Dwellings on 12th St. NE, has been waiting for Brookland's transformation. There's no looking for instant takeoff, she says. The sleepy residential neighborhood near Catholic University, is about to jolt its commercial core back to life in a bid to capture the disposable income of its residents and students -- most of whom don't eat, shop or play at home.

In doing so, Brookland is opening its doors to hundreds of millions of dollars in smart-growth development after more than 50 years of inactivity.

story

Feds gives Akridge air rights for Union Station project

Local developer Akridge on Thursday obtained the air rights over the train tracks behind Union Station to build a 15-acre mixed-use complex, to be called Burnham Place at Union Station.

The U.S. General Services Administration and Akridge inked the deal on Thursday; the financial terms weren't disclosed.

story

Projects Aim To Build Up City's Image

Municipal and Police Structures Latest Step in Fairfax's Makeover

The makeover of Fairfax City is about to take another leap with the unveiling of a police headquarters and an addition to City Hall, both scheduled to open in early December.

story

Another story today in the Post on development of the SW Waterfront.

Southwest Waterfront Will Finally Get Over the '60s

Development Plan Would Shun Tall Towers, Dead-End Streets

More than 40 years ago, the District redid parts of Southwest Washington, reflecting the latest and best urban renewal thinking of the day: Tear down as much as possible, replace it with efficient concrete buildings and build a freeway nearby.

Today, planners, developers and residents are looking at the area very differently. Today, cities want foot traffic, not cars. Waterfronts attract leisure use. The ideal cityscape is built to human scale. And so, Washington intends to reverse what was done in the last spasm of urban renewal and remake it to the modern taste.

PH2006100800650.jpg

redevelopment pending, the future of many businesses along the Southwest waterfront, including the nightlcub Zanzibar, is in doubt.

GR2006100900370.gif

story

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Master plan for old convention center site gets city approval

D.C. Mayor Tony Williams' top economic development official has approved the master plan for the redevelopment of the old convention center site.

Developers Archstone-Smith and Hines had submitted the plan for a $650 million development that would include 280,000 square feet of retail, 686 residential units, 415,000 square feet of office space, 1,700 parking spaces and reopening of Eye and 10th streets NW through the site.

http://www.oldconventioncenter.com/docs/06..._Guidelines.pdf

This is a long PDF, but it's good. It basically has renderings and a ton of information. This project will be amazing when completed. And will be definitely a part of Tony Williams' legacy. It's got to potential to be a vibrant mixed-use square type of development that DC doesn't have, and just help DT develop even more.

No more big hole in the ground! Hooray! Seriously, I hope this one works out. I think this area needs more residential and retail components to fully come into its own as a neighborhood. I just hope it gets built quickly- and without drama.

No more big hole in the ground! Hooray! Seriously, I hope this one works out. I think this area needs more residential and retail components to fully come into its own as a neighborhood. I just hope it gets built quickly- and without drama.

Did anyone else hear about the new office tower going up in Rosslyn? Its supposed to be 388ft, which would put it 7 ft over the rosslyn twin towers to become the tallest building in rosslyn. Its called Rosslyn Central Place, and since the original tower proposed at the site, which was supposed to be over 500ft, was shot down by the FAA, this one is much more likely to happen.

From BeyondDC

Pics:

rosslynCP-greyscale.jpg

rosslynCP-skyline.jpg

Article From BeyondDC:

Rosslyn goes vertical

Rosslyn is home to the tallest skyscrapers in the DC area, but its skyline, which is easily visible from the National Mall, isn

Not sure if this is the same property but I was reading in the Post about an owner of a dealership selling his property but can't remember what exactly was going to be built there. Do you recall the name of the dealership? I did some research and found Bob Peck Chevrolet on Glebe Road. There was an article in the Post in March but is archived now.

Archived