Metro DC construction

urbanvb

I did a little searching and here's what i found out about the Peck site:

1. the WashPost reported in May, 2006 that "...the [bob Peck] dealership closed it doors to make way for offices, retail space and townhouses being proposed for the site by the [developer] JBG Cos. JBG purchased the 100,000-square-foot property in January for $26 million..."

2. The Washington Business Journal reported in April, 2006 that "The company has not filed formal redevelopment plans with Arlington County; however, it did give a preview of its ideas at a meeting late last year with the Bluemont Civic Association (www.bluemontcivic.org)."

3. The Arlington Connection newspaper then reported in July that "the developers would like to construct a 12-story office building on the Peck site, which sits prominently on the corner of Glebe Road and Wilson Boulevard, and an eight-story office building just to the north. JBG would then place 28 townhouses on North Wakefield Street, behind the towers."

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just in Ballston overnight last week. My room looked directly down on the old Bob Peck site. It's my understanding that part of the old dealership may be incorporated into the new buildings on the site. I think it will be mostly offices and condos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i saw somewhere on the internets that there is a proposal (that may have already been approved) to make arlington more pedestrian-friendly by replacing streetlights and taking out the skywalks (which imho are really cool, because of my love for 70's futurism). is there anyone who lives or works in that area who could find out if anything is going on?

i saw somewhere on the internets that there is a proposal (that may have already been approved) to make arlington more pedestrian-friendly by replacing streetlights and taking out the skywalks (which imho are really cool, because of my love for 70's futurism). is there anyone who lives or works in that area who could find out if anything is going on?

What is 00's futurism exactly? for me its what i have seen in denver, where there is plenty of green space, plazas, and open areas with a modern, clean touch.

Probably the best example is the SoWa neighboorhood in portland, and while it has crisp, clean lines and the such, it also has plenty of open space and some brick, and stays innovative and green on a human scale without going overboard.

Link to SoWa

I understood it to mean that the style of the old building was being incoporated. You can see that, the ground level over the entrance that line of diamond shapes is reminiscent of the old dealership. Quite subtle however.

I think that's specifically in Rosslyn. The skywalks there essentially created an area with little to no pedestrian traffic. It's improving now. There are actually a few restaurants and a pool hall in the area. Inklings of things to do, and plenty of new construction as seen posted here elsewhere.

"Modernism rant"

I can understand the detrimental effects that the skyways are having on the area, but i wonder if they do finally take them out, what will they replace them with? This is just my personal opinion, but i hate when they use those faux-old streetlights in new developments, i mean its ok to replace the awful 60's and 70's streetlights with nicer looking ones that can be old-looking in older areas, but in newer developments they should be more forward-thinking and should try something new and interesting. nothing too insane, but tasteful. Something like those more modern looking streetlights that are being used in alot of west-coast developments such as the SoWa development and many others. "ends rant"

I agree that faux-Victorian streetlights generally detract, rather than add, to the streetscape. For Rossly, I think such lamps would be a poor choice. There has been relatively little innovation in streetlamps lately, at least in most places. A more modern design for them in many places would be a welcome change.

What is 00's futurism exactly? for me its what i have seen in denver, where there is plenty of green space, plazas, and open areas with a modern, clean touch.

Probably the best example is the SoWa neighboorhood in portland, and while it has crisp, clean lines and the such, it also has plenty of open space and some brick, and stays innovative and green on a human scale without going overboard.

Link to SoWa

Did anybody see on the news that they have started on the national harbor project? I think its pretty bleh :sick:

Colonial-influenced design! Jeez people, we are falling soooooo far behind the rest of the world in terms of design, an area which we originally had been the leaders in for so long. This project could have been much more interesting than it turned out to be. A good example of a large-scale project balancing old and new: Reston Town Center.

Edit: i realize it has been U/C for awhile, but i'm kinda slow in keeping up with developments in DC/Maryland

NoMa...The Next Big Thing?

The area notehr of Massachusetts Avenue near Union Station is being transformed into an area of....wel, we don't know exactly how it's going to shape up just yet. Several developers have big projects going, and the federal government has claimed it would build huge hives of offices in the area, but many questions remain about how the area will be reborn. Offices or apartments? Condos? More restaurants? Stay tuned for more sevelopments. This area could be the next hotspot in D.C..

Article from the Washington Post

• 2 months later...

Archived