• 2 months later...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Starwood to Build "1 Hotel" at 22nd and M Streets in the West End

Starwood and Perseus Realty have announced their intention to build a new branch of Starwood's new "1" hotel brand at 22nd and M Streets in Washington's West End. This is right around the corner from where I work. The site currently has a dubious little building which used to house the Nigerian Embassy before they decamped to the embassy enclave in Van Ness. I can't tell much from the rendering provided in the article, but it looks like the building has a lot of glass. I still wonder about the wisdom of putting another hotel in an area already full of them, but D.C.'s occupancy rates and room rates have been higher than ever lately.

Hotel-Online

• 2 weeks later...

JBG has certainly been active in the Washington area lately. It's good to see that more of these new developments are taking on an urban character. I would like to see more of this sort of think take shape in places like Northeast Washington. Southesat is still a hard nut to crack in some places, but it is starting to happen. It's odd to think that few areas around here can as yet be considered to be overbuilt, an anomaly when one thinks about other metro areas. I wonder how long this bubble will last? As I have noted elsewhere, the D.C. market is strong, but signs of softening have already been exhibited in the outer exurbs like Woodbridge.

• 5 weeks later...

"1" Hotel Footprint to Take Place of Restaurant

As I had suspected, the (architecturally undistinguished) building which currently houses Asia Nora restaurant will be demolished along with the former Embassy of Nigeria to make way for the glossy new hotel. I expect that demolition may begin in January. Thus, the transformation of a formerly dreary block will be all but complete.

The Washington Post

• 5 months later...

The safeway at Columbia Pike is being redesigned into condos and they look pretty nice. The plans are already approved by the Arlington board and include 188 rental apartment plus about 34,000 square feet of retail. The project is being developed by Woodfield Investments of Chevy Chase, MD.

picture of the new development :

2448383229_b78d30005c.jpg

It is not overly exciting but I think it turns out to be a good use of a refused facility.

an awesome modern development in Silver Spring.

This has 55 apartments I believe, it has over 4,000 ft. of green space (jen you would like this) it also has a public park and will have an art gallery. Plus I think it looks awesome and is just a unique building.

2457236254_0be132e625.jpg

Very cool building. It's great to see Silver Spring developing a real downtown. Quite a far cry from what it looked like 20 years ago. It's been a few months since I've last been up that way. Perhaps I need to hop on the Metro and take a fresh look.

This Development is being called Square 320 and incorporates the renovation of four historic buildings and the construction of a new 12-story concrete structure to create one cohesive building. They will all be connected by a 6 story atrium capped off by a 110-ft skylight.

It also looks pretty cool and I think it is a nice reuse of the buildings.

00002362.jpg

I have been watching this block reappear as the neighborhood around it also comes into full bloom. Anthony Williams may not have been liked by some in Washington, but it's uncontestable that he was able to get action in the renovation of the oldest quarter of downtown. This sort of development has been great for the renaissance of the area around Gallery Place.

Takoma, Metro and DC's Office of Planning want to develop poorly utilized, unattractive land that's mostly parking lots and unusable open space into residences and public plazas.

And as in Takoma, neighbors are up in arms about preserving the small-town feel of their neighborhoods. As Ryan writes,

Brookland is a 15 minute Metro ride away from the second most expensive central business district in the country. It

Another Mixed Use/Residential Condo is in the works of going up in DC. The Citta 50 will have 27 condos when complete and is situated in a restored 3 story old commercial building. They started selling the units at the beginning of the year, and like everywhere else, things are not going that well, but then again the building isn

Hill East Waterfront

Here is the link to the project: DC Biz

The District is finally starting to look for a master developer to help transform the former DC General Hospital campus and 50 acres of land into a new waterfront neighborhood in Southeast.

The Hill East Waterfront comprises land along the western shore of the Anacostia River and at the eastern gateway to Capitol Hill. The area, formerly known as Reservation 13, is in a great location but we are just not so sure about people wanting to live right next to the congressional cemetery which is right there. A little spooky if you ask us!

The demolition of the current buildings on the property should begin later this year and prep work should start in 2009.

Constitution Center

The old Department of Transportation moved and is being redeveloped. It is shooting for and from what I believe have achieved the LEED certification. The Building will also have a new name, Constitution Center. The most interesting part of the $220 million construction project, is that the developer is keeping the concrete skeleton of the building intact and not doing a complete demolition and rebuild. This project has been underway for a while and is close to exterior completion.

Rendering:

2210869264_dfd59d326e.jpg

Progress:

2489162207_44db424dee.jpg

Archived