Metro DC construction

urbanvb

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I think those are different projects, the one at the bottom is City Market at O, with more modern buildings surrounding an older, preserved building. Heres another rendering of that one:

20070920CityMarketAtOSt01.jpg

And a more detailed sketch of the new buildings:

20070920CityMarketAtOSt02.jpg

The one at the top is the "Giant Project". It's entirely new construction, with the more traditional building shown in front, and a more modern neo-deco building in back.

^good call, I just saw both markets and thought that it was another rendering. Both projects are nice, but I like the second one and I like the buildings surrounding it.

Thanks for the correction. I do not know the area all the well so I am sure to mess up a few different times.

901K Street Project

Among the numerous construction sites along K Street NW we think the most hotly anticipated project has to be 901K.

We sent our crack team out to the site (pictured left) and it looks like the foundation is ready and the building is set to rise from the ground! We spoke to the design team and we liked everything we heard, but the one design feature we still don

• 2 weeks later...
We used to think that the planned $250 million expansion of the Kennedy Center was never going to happen after it got put on hold a few years ago, but according to a very reliable tipster, the subject was raised again at the most recent meeting of the Kennedy Centers Board of Trustees. The beautiful new complex designed by Rafael Vinoly Architects will include a museum as well as new rehearsal halls and office space.

In addition to the new buildings, the plans also include the ever elusive connection to the National Mall that the Kennedy Center has always lacked. The Kennedy Center has always been fairly unfriendly to pedestrians and is currently trapped behind the maze of ramps connecting to the highway.

The project will take ten years to complete.

NORTHWEST ONE REVIVAL

The Northwest One project in Ward 6 is comprised of five low-income housing complexes that have historically been an epicenter of crime in the city. This project represents a rare opportunity to undo decades of poor urban planning in an area bound by North Capitol Street on the east, New York Avenue on the north, and New Jersey Avenue on the west.

I am not sure that it's part of the NoMa project, but I think it's near there. That area is really seeing a turnaround. As for the pics of the Kennedy Center above, I'd hoped that something would be done with Ed Stone's blah exterior. It looks better with buildings surrounding it, though.

I am not sure that it's part of the NoMa project, but I think it's near there. That area is really seeing a turnaround. As for the pics of the Kennedy Center above, I'd hoped that something would be done with Ed Stone's blah exterior. It looks better with buildings surrounding it, though.

Yea i think the exterior should of had a new facade put on, but at least after about 10 years this project is actually coming through. I still think its a tough location, because the roads around 350/370(i think its 350/370) are just really hard to navigate and its a tough area for someone not used to the area.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I expect the exterior of the Kennedy Center might well be called historic. That doesn't make it good architecture. I suppose I'll have to biute the bullet and practice what I have been preaching- keeping some of the ugly buildings around for instructional and historic purposes.

Archived