Little Rock Restaurants

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aporkalypse's list is pretty solid all the way around, with all of them being my favorites as well. I'll add a few comments.

Another good burger is Crazy's on Cantrell, and The Frosttop on JFK. They're both dives too, but good.

The best home cooking diner is Homer's on East Roosevelt Road.

For Catfish, I like Grampa's in Sherwood. The Flight Deck Restaurant at Central Flying Service serves a good catfish lunch on fridays.

For Mudbugs, I like The Faded Rose when fresh mudbugs are in.

For pizza, I like the variety at Larry's, especially the Cheeseburger Pizza.

Although they are a chain and arent mexican, Chili's has the best fajitas.

Best breakfast is Ozark Mountain Smokehouse and IHOP.

Best steak...the one I grilled yesterday and didnt cost anywhere near $180.00!!

May as well list the one's that are a definite thumbs down too. My wife and I went to Bennigans not too long ago and walked out after waiting 20 minutes to have even a drink order taken. That made two successive trips to the place that were both disasters.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool. Not a bad mix, but I'm surprised that one or more of these weren't included:

Ferneau

Nu Cuisine (REALLY surprised this wasn't on the show)

Cappricios

Jasmines

So (very surprised about this as well)

Cafe Prego

Cheers in the Heights (would've been a great choice)

Casa Bonita (Viva) - ha!!

I know I have forgotten many.....

Question to LR Forumers.

Was the Casa bonita in LR ever like the one in Lakewood, Co and Tulsa? I've heard that there was one, and then it closed, but reopened as a Casa Viva. I'm not sure what a Casa Viva is, but I'm interesed to find out.

Question to LR Forumers.

Was the Casa bonita in LR ever like the one in Lakewood, Co and Tulsa? I've heard that there was one, and then it closed, but reopened as a Casa Viva. I'm not sure what a Casa Viva is, but I'm interesed to find out.

I doubt I'll be able to answer this as well as one of them could. But when I lived in Pine Bluff I remember visiting once when I was a kid. I don't remember everything that I saw later on when I eventually tried out the one in Tulsa. I also certainly don't recall seeing all the stuff they mention on South Park in the Casa Bonita episode.

Question to LR Forumers.

Yes, absolutely. If memory serves me correctly, the Casa Bonita in Little Rock was the second one, opening in 1969 after the location in Dallas (or was it Ft. Worth, or both?). The person who moved here to open it attended our church. Once it was up and running, they moved to Tulsa to open that store. The Colorado location was the last one. If my memory serves me correctly, there were only five, and they never developed any more because of the tremendous up-front capital. It really was a concept well before its time. This is the same company that owns "Taco Bueno". They also started the "Crystals" Pizza Palace in Tulsa adjacent to the Casa Bonita there, which was also very cool. Not sure if it is still open.

Here are all the locations as I recall:

Dallas (or Ft. Worth or both?) - closed

Little Rock - open (in spirit - current owners tried to "franchise" the name back from the parent company, but were unsuccessful)

Tulsa - open

OKC - closed

Denver - open

So, only two "true" Casa Bonitas remain, though the one in LR is EXACTLY the same, even the same management. Differs in name only.

p.s. I worked at Casa Bonita in 1985!!! :lol:

Yes, absolutely. If memory serves me correctly, the Casa Bonita in Little Rock was the second one, opening in 1969 after the location in Dallas (or was it Ft. Worth, or both?). The person who moved here to open it attended our church. Once it was up and running, they moved to Tulsa to open that store. The Colorado location was the last one. If my memory serves me correctly, there were only five, and they never developed any more because of the tremendous up-front capital. It really was a concept well before its time. This is the same company that owns "Taco Bueno". They also started the "Crystals" Pizza Palace in Tulsa adjacent to the Casa Bonita there, which was also very cool. Not sure if it is still open.

Here are all the locations as I recall:

Dallas (or Ft. Worth or both?) - closed

Little Rock - open (in spirit - current owners tried to "franchise" the name back from the parent company, but were unsuccessful)

Tulsa - open

OKC - closed

Denver - open

So, only two "true" Casa Bonitas remain, though the one in LR is EXACTLY the same, even the same management. Differs in name only.

p.s. I worked at Casa Bonita in 1985!!! :lol:

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it was the same company that owns Taco Bueno. I was wondering how the Little Rock location compared to the others. Granted I was just a kid but I didn't remember the Little Rock location having all the features some of the others do or did.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it was the same company that owns Taco Bueno. I was wondering how the Little Rock location compared to the others. Granted I was just a kid but I didn't remember the Little Rock location having all the features some of the others do or did.

It didn't have all of the features, but that's primarily because it was just the second they built. The Tulsa location for instance has the indoor waterfall, etc. as well as other concepts they began to implement. Another tidbit - the LR location was expanded by approximately 50% around 1990 - much of that has now been turned into a family arcade (which my sons love!).

It didn't have all of the features, but that's primarily because it was just the second they built. The Tulsa location for instance has the indoor waterfall, etc. as well as other concepts they began to implement. Another tidbit - the LR location was expanded by approximately 50% around 1990 - much of that has now been turned into a family arcade (which my sons love!).

Wasn't the arcade there a few years before that? I remember it when I was a kid, that was much of why we liked it. By 1990 I was 14 and thought I was too cool for Casa Bonita.

Wasn't the arcade there a few years before that? I remember it when I was a kid, that was much of why we liked it. By 1990 I was 14 and thought I was too cool for Casa Bonita.

I've never been to the one in LR, does it have the cliffs and the mexican village with the caves and such?

The arcade use to be in a room toward the front that they've converted back into a dining area, and moved the arcade into the expansion north where there use to be a large themed dining area. If I'm not mistaken, there never was an arcade originally (only the "Treasure Chest" station which all of you who go way back will remember in the early to mid-seventies). The arcade was added when they did the expansion, then later relocated it to the expansion when they wanted more games, less seats.

I've never been to the one in LR, does it have the cliffs and the mexican village with the caves and such?

Yes, it is a Mexican village at night, but not as many special features as the newer locations. It was quite impressive in its day (still pretty cool!), and contains a square and fountain, themed dining areas (like going into buildings), a cave area, a jail, etc. Newer, nicer amenities in the later stores like Tulsa actually have a 2-story cave with upstairs seating, a waterfall, etc. It is quite a bit nicer and on a larger scale than the earlier LR location.

I heard Vermillion Bistro closed. That's sad, it was a good restaurant and that type of upscale non-chain restaurant run by real chefs is a rarity in Little Rock, and an even bigger rarity in Arkansas as a whole. I have to think that Chenal location was part of the problem. Sure, it puts you out near one of the wealthiest communities in the state, if not the wealthiest, but it's distant from most of the city and people living in the city core and visitors to LR rarely would make it out there. Apparently Nu is doing well and I have to think that that type of restaurant really does better in the downtown area or the Heights/Hillcrest area. In any case, it was easily a top 5 restaurant for the city and it sucks to see them close.

The same people that brought us Cajun's Wharf and Capers are opening up a restaurant and catering business in the 300 3rd building, BTW.

I heard Vermillion Bistro closed. That's sad, it was a good restaurant and that type of upscale non-chain restaurant run by real chefs is a rarity in Little Rock, and an even bigger rarity in Arkansas as a whole. I have to think that Chenal location was part of the problem. Sure, it puts you out near one of the wealthiest communities in the state, if not the wealthiest, but it's distant from most of the city and people living in the city core and visitors to LR rarely would make it out there. Apparently Nu is doing well and I have to think that that type of restaurant really does better in the downtown area or the Heights/Hillcrest area. In any case, it was easily a top 5 restaurant for the city and it sucks to see them close.

The same people that brought us Cajun's Wharf and Capers are opening up a restaurant and catering business in the 300 3rd building, BTW.

Yes, I believe I heard that as well. However, their "Vermillion Water Grille" in the Rivermarket is still open, and successful I assume though admittedly I've never been there except once for lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

>>I heard Vermillion Bistro closed. That's sad, it was a good restaurant and that type of upscale non-chain restaurant run by real chefs is a rarity in Little Rock, and an even bigger rarity in Arkansas as a whole.<<

You must not spend a lot of time in LR as we have many fine locally owned restaurants, E.G. :

Acadia

SO

Nu

Gypsy's Grill

Capers

Trios

Ferneau

Vieux Carre

LuLav

Ciao Bacco

Ciao

Sonny Williams

Loco Luna

Cajun's Wharf

Bena Vista

Bruno's

Vermillion Water Grill

Cheers

Restaurant Capeo (NLR)

Sir Loin's Inn (NLR)

Cafe Prego

Faded Rose

And this doesn't include all the BBQ, catfish, Chinese, Mexican and hamburger places which are all over town.

>>I heard Vermillion Bistro closed. That's sad, it was a good restaurant and that type of upscale non-chain restaurant run by real chefs is a rarity in Little Rock, and an even bigger rarity in Arkansas as a whole.<<

You must not spend a lot of time in LR as we have many fine locally owned restaurants, E.G. :

Acadia

SO

Nu

Gypsy's Grill

Capers

Trios

Ferneau

Vieux Carre

LuLav

Ciao Bacco

Ciao

Sonny Williams

Loco Luna

Cajun's Wharf

Bena Vista

Bruno's

Vermillion Water Grill

Cheers

Restaurant Capeo (NLR)

Sir Loin's Inn (NLR)

Cafe Prego

Faded Rose

And this doesn't include all the BBQ, catfish, Chinese, Mexican and hamburger places which are all over town.

I lived there 30 of my 31 years, I think I just have higher standards. I've been to every restaurant on that list except Vieux Carre, though I went to the last two restaurants at that location. A couple of those are in the category I am talking about . Brave New Restaurant, Nu, Vermillion Grille, 1620, and Capers are some of my favorite restaurants. If you think places like Bruno's, Cafe Prego, Faded Rose, Loca Luna and Cheers are that high end you need to get OUT of Little Rock more. Hell, the last 3 serve cheese dip.

I lived there 30 of my 31 years, I think I just have higher standards. I've been to every restaurant on that list except Vieux Carre, though I went to the last two restaurants at that location. A couple of those are in the category I am talking about . Brave New Restaurant, Nu, Vermillion Grille, 1620, and Capers are some of my favorite restaurants. If you think places like Bruno's, Cafe Prego, Faded Rose, Loca Luna and Cheers are that high end you need to get OUT of Little Rock more. Hell, the last 3 serve cheese dip.

I see I left Peter Brave's place off my list, here's an apology to him for doing so, as he has an excellent restaurant. As for your response, I've lived in LR for most of my 65 years and have eaten at fine dining restaurants from New York to Honolulu and points in between. Your post specified "upscale" and I focused more on the non-chain comment. Obviously the places you name as being non high end are not pretentious rooms but just serve decent food in a pleasant atmosphere. The fact is that like most things, opinions of restaurants are subjective. For example you liked Vermillion Grill while I think it was OK but not that great.

Also, Buster's was basically a fern bar not especially known for its food but more as a place to see and be seen.

I see I left Peter Brave's place off my list, here's an apology to him for doing so, as he has an excellent restaurant. As for your response, I've lived in LR for most of my 65 years and have eaten at fine dining restaurants from New York to Honolulu and points in between. Your post specified "upscale" and I focused more on the non-chain comment. Obviously the places you name as being non high end are not pretentious rooms but just serve decent food in a pleasant atmosphere. The fact is that like most things, opinions of restaurants are subjective. For example you liked Vermillion Grill while I think it was OK but not that great.

Perhaps, but LR is no better off having lost it. The market for non-chain restaurants with entrees run by chefs that use high quality ingredients and the entrees cost more than $20 is limited. The crowd driving in from Saline and Lonoke Cos aren'y going to these places, it's mostly affluent locals. I think it can be tough to support those kind of restaurants in a smaller market and I hate to see one go down like that. Looking at the bright side, LR has more to offer than a lot of similar markets including NWA when it comes to that.

A year outside of LR gave me a few revelations. We are in dire need of more steakhouses, Sir Loin's Inn and Sonny Williams aside. More importantly, the Italian is generally just subpar - people only rave about places like the Villa, Cafe Prego, the Italian Couple, and Bruno's because there are no better options. They really are just not very good which is why the Italian chains do so well. In fact, Hot Springs seems to have LR beat when it comes to Italian. LR has excellent Mexican restaurants and a variety of very good Asian food (Fantastic China, Fu Lin, and Hunan's as well as both Vietnamese places) excepting the notable absence of a decent Thai place. There are a couple of good seafood places and I've always like Cajun's but we need way more variety.

Perhaps, but LR is no better off having lost it. The market for non-chain restaurants with entrees run by chefs that use high quality ingredients and the entrees cost more than $20 is limited. The crowd driving in from Saline and Lonoke Cos aren'y going to these places, it's mostly affluent locals. I think it can be tough to support those kind of restaurants in a smaller market and I hate to see one go down like that. Looking at the bright side, LR has more to offer than a lot of similar markets including NWA when it comes to that.

A year outside of LR gave me a few revelations. We are in dire need of more steakhouses, Sir Loin's Inn and Sonny Williams aside. More importantly, the Italian is generally just subpar - people only rave about places like the Villa, Cafe Prego, the Italian Couple, and Bruno's because there are no better options. They really are just not very good which is why the Italian chains do so well. In fact, Hot Springs seems to have LR beat when it comes to Italian. LR has excellent Mexican restaurants and a variety of very good Asian food (Fantastic China, Fu Lin, and Hunan's as well as both Vietnamese places) excepting the notable absence of a decent Thai place. There are a couple of good seafood places and I've always like Cajun's but we need way more variety.

Have you been to Restaurant Capeo on Main street in North Little Rock? It's far and away the best Italian in greater Little Rock. I'm in agreement on the need for steakhouses.

I'd like to see a really fine steakhouse with a relaxed atmosphere and a good wine list.

Have you been to Restaurant Capeo on Main street in North Little Rock? It's far and away the best Italian in greater Little Rock. I'm in agreement on the need for steakhouses.

I'd like to see a really fine steakhouse with a relaxed atmosphere and a good wine list.

My wife and I just tried Restaurant Capeo on Main in NLR some months ago, and were pleasantly surprised at both the atmosphere and the food. I concur that Italian is subpar generally in the market. I have been told by many consultants from out of state about how pleasantly surprised they are about the quality of upscale, quality, local restaurants in Little Rock. I don't doubt them for this sized market. Obviously, there are better choices in larger markets, but I think LR holds its own.

I forgot about that place. Yeah, that's about as good as you'll find anywhere. It was even better, though, when it was Cassanelli's further up Main. I ate a place in Dallas called Il Mulino New York that was supposedly the Dallas version of New York's best Italian restaurant and it wasn't as good as Capeo.

I'm not necessarily a chain guy but I'd love to see a Ruth's Chris in LR. I think it would do well. It's interesting that with the Dallas to LR chain connection none of the Dallas mid-tier steakhouses have made the move into that niche in LR. Sullivan's would be a good one to bring up or even Del Frisco. Two places that have been disappointing are the Riverfront Steakhouse and Cappricio's at the Peabody. The former has awful service and inconsistent food - I had one excellent steak and two average ones in three visits there. That probably would've been the location to put in a Ruth's Chris. Cappricio's is just all around disappointing for the price. The Peabody was supposed to bring in multiple nice restaurants and it never really happened. Some people would throw in Doe's and it's good, I just think it's a little overrated. I'd rather have Sir Loin's Inn than that given a choice.

I forgot about that place. Yeah, that's about as good as you'll find anywhere. It was even better, though, when it was Cassanelli's further up Main. I ate a place in Dallas called Il Mulino New York that was supposedly the Dallas version of New York's best Italian restaurant and it wasn't as good as Capeo.

I'm not necessarily a chain guy but I'd love to see a Ruth's Chris in LR. I think it would do well. It's interesting that with the Dallas to LR chain connection none of the Dallas mid-tier steakhouses have made the move into that niche in LR. Sullivan's would be a good one to bring up or even Del Frisco. Two places that have been disappointing are the Riverfront Steakhouse and Cappricio's at the Peabody. The former has awful service and inconsistent food - I had one excellent steak and two average ones in three visits there. That probably would've been the location to put in a Ruth's Chris. Cappricio's is just all around disappointing for the price. The Peabody was supposed to bring in multiple nice restaurants and it never really happened. Some people would throw in Doe's and it's good, I just think it's a little overrated. I'd rather have Sir Loin's Inn than that given a choice.

I've got to part company with you on Ruth's Chris. I ate at the Memphis location a year ago after wanting to try the chain for sometime. I disliked most everything about the place. My steak, a ribeye, was lousy and the family atmosphere with lots of noisey children really turned me off. The room was too bright and the waitstaff too perky. I do think that Ruth's Chris would be successful in LR.

I'll never understand the fascination with Cajun's. Everytime I've been there the seafood is best described as "rubbery" and the service very average at best. The atmosphere is cool, no doubt, but for anything but drinking and music I can do without it.

I've got to part company with you on Ruth's Chris. I ate at the Memphis location a year ago after wanting to try the chain for sometime. I disliked most everything about the place. My steak, a ribeye, was lousy and the family atmosphere with lots of noisey children really turned me off. The room was too bright and the waitstaff too perky. I do think that Ruth's Chris would be successful in LR.

I ate at one in New Orleans and I liked it. Perhaps that was because it was the original.

I'll never understand the fascination with Cajun's. Everytime I've been there the seafood is best described as "rubbery" and the service very average at best. The atmosphere is cool, no doubt, but for anything but drinking and music I can do without it.

I've had both good and bad there. The atmosphere absolutely makes the place. Admittedly my meals are generally preceded by several drinks. It's hard to find any seafood restaurant outside of New Orleans or Florida that has better atmosphere. Regardless, the food beats the hell out of the Landry's years.

Mcheiss, I kind of doubt LR is in line for an ESPN Zone. They really have only set up in major, major markets. Even DFW and Miami don't have one.

Archived