Little Rock Restaurants

I thought that they were doing doing pretty well down there. I doubt that the space will be vacant for long with it being across the street from the Peabody and Convention Center and near the Double Tree and Capitol Hotels.

You're right Aporkalypse. A "destination" restaurant would do well there.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that they were doing doing pretty well down there. I doubt that the space will be vacant for long with it being across the street from the Peabody and Convention Center and near the Double Tree and Capitol Hotels.

You're right Aporkalypse. A "destination" restaurant would do well there.

Does anybody except me think it is strange that they are pulling out just a week after it was announced that Stephens is trying to buy the building?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is Casa Viva still open in Little Rock?

A friend told me that they closed earlier this year, but I hadn't heard anything about it.

I had heard it was to close, though I haven't been that way in a very long time.

As a weird aside, I saw Billy Bob Thornton on David Letterman and Dave asked him about his favorite restaurant. He said "Casa Viva in Little Rock, Arkansas". I still don't know if he was kidding or not, that's one strange guy.

I had heard it was to close, though I haven't been that way in a very long time.

As a weird aside, I saw Billy Bob Thornton on David Letterman and Dave asked him about his favorite restaurant. He said "Casa Viva in Little Rock, Arkansas". I still don't know if he was kidding or not, that's one strange guy.

Yes, it closed. I take the daily paper and keep up with news, and had no idea that it had closed until our family tried to go eat there. We were baffled, and my kids were actually crying (they are 3 & 6) because they enjoyed going there (it was a nice alternative to Chuck E. Cheese).

Apparently, it closed early this year and I had to queery the web to find an article in the Tulsa World as to what happened. As many may know, the parent company who started the Casa Bonita chain closed the Little Rock location around 10 years ago. The original owner tried to reopen the location at that time by buying the franchise right, but the company wouldn't sell it to him. So, he reopended it as "Casa Viva" and spent a lot of money completely overhauling the space and restoring the original menu, etc. And it turned out to be quite a success.

So what happened? Well, according to the Tulsa World, the "Casa Bonita" in Tulsa was shuttered late last year, and the owner of the Little Rock Casa Viva felt the Little Rock location had run its course so he decided to make the same "Casa Viva" overhaul in Tulsa. So, he closed his Little Rock location and relocated his resources to Tulsa to make another run......

Our family is sad.

• 2 weeks later...

The Isaacs, who run what is arguably Central Arkansas's best restaurant, Ristorante Capeo, will be opening Argenta Seafood Company at the old Teak Furniture Store on Main in Argenta.

If it's half as good as Capeo, it will do very well.

...and all of the sudden Main St Argenta seems to be filling up.

No kidding, I actually thought about looking into how much it costs to get involved in franchises. Somebody was behind the curve.

The freestanding ones down in DFW are always packed. I hope that they have built-in playgrounds. The LR fast food chains generally lack these and they're missing a gold mine. I have a two year old and will drive well out of my way to stop at a fast food place with a playground. Nearly all of the McDonald's, Chick-Fil-As, and Burger Kings in DFW have them and most of them are indoors.

The next big franchise chain I'd like to see is Boston Market.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Wasabi Bar & Grill is going into the former San Francisco Bread Company building off Markham. Wasabi is a pretty hip urban restaurant that's done by the Shogun Company. They have a location off Dickson Street in Fayetteville that is the most urban place off Dickson.

Looks like Wasabi Bar & Grill is going into the former San Francisco Bread Company building off Markham. Wasabi is a pretty hip urban restaurant that's done by the Shogun Company. They have a location off Dickson Street in Fayetteville that is the most urban place off Dickson.

Archived