Little Rock Restaurants

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ate lunch at the new River Market restaraunt, Rumba. I am making NO plans to return. The fact that when I ordered the two enchilada lunch special I could not mix my two enchiliadas (Example: one chicken, one beef) is a sign that this is prepared food, likely microwaved to order. My red chips matched the red bowl for the cheese dip. The chips were chewy or crunchy, sometimes both. The white cheese dip was average, so it is not something that I would recommend getting your saturated fats from.

The plantains were embarrasing. They were hard. Little Rock needs some place to serve good plantains.

So save you lunch money and don't go to Rumba.

On a positive note I saw local celebs, Bob Hupp and Skip Rutherford. National celeb, Al Franken was doing his radio show in Revelation, the bar/music venue off of Rumba.

I ate lunch at the new River Market restaraunt, Rumba. I am making NO plans to return. The fact that when I ordered the two enchilada lunch special I could not mix my two enchiliadas (Example: one chicken, one beef) is a sign that this is prepared food, likely microwaved to order. My red chips matched the red bowl for the cheese dip. The chips were chewy or crunchy, sometimes both. The white cheese dip was average, so it is not something that I would recommend getting your saturated fats from.

The plantains were embarrasing. They were hard. Little Rock needs some place to serve good plantains.

On a positive note I saw local celebs, Bob Hupp and Skip Rutherford. National celeb, Al Franken was doing his radio show in Revelation, the bar/music venue off of Rumba.

Say what? I was planning on some good plantains from that place.

Say what? I was planning on some good plantains from that place.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Seriously, Rumba plantains miss the mark.

I lived in Pompano Beach, FL for a year. While there, I did make it to Little Havana a too indulge in some Cuban food. I seldom pass up an opportunity to have plantains. There was even a fast food restaraunt (I don't recall the name) that my wife and I used to drive thru for plantains. I have had good plantains.

On second thought.... maybe if you visit the bar first, the plantains will taste better.

I lived in Pompano Beach, FL for a year. While there, I did make it to Little Havana a too indulge in some Cuban food. I seldom pass up an opportunity to have plantains. There was even a fast food restaraunt (I don't recall the name) that my wife and I used to drive thru for plantains. I have had good plantains.

On second thought.... maybe if you visit the bar first, the plantains will taste better.

The best plantains I ever had were in Hialeah, FL. but that is a long drive from here.

Man, it JUST opened, did it not?

If you've ever worked in the "biz," (*rolling eyes at my lame word choice*)you know what a nightmare opening a restaurant is. You can't believe what goes into it....give it a couple months and another try before you write it off for good.

Just read that Tony Romas has closed. I knew it was just a matter of time because the last few times I have been in there, they didn't have many customers. I hate that because I liked their ribs. The building is to be the new home of Gauchos.

Just read that Tony Romas has closed. I knew it was just a matter of time because the last few times I have been in there, they didn't have many customers. I hate that because I liked their ribs. The building is to be the new home of Gauchos.

Hmmm...surprising. It wasn't a great location. Macaroni Grill survives because it is very popular and is a destination in and of itself. Gauchos is fantastic, and I'm glad to see it move closer to civilization.

I'm guessing the fast food place was Pollo Tropical.

Cafe Bossanova in Hillcrest has decent plantains.

My expectations of that restaurant were low. The owners did well with Sticky Fingerz but they're bar people. For that kind of place you need a Cuban or someone from Central or South American that grew up with that kind of food.

That stinks, Tony Roma's has amazing BBQ, it's a shame that the state's only one closed.

I never cared much for Tony Roma's. There must be 10 better rib places in LR. The whole claim about "St Louis ribs" is kind of a farce if you've ever been to St Louis, where the BBQ places claim to have Florida, Georgia, or Memphis BBQ. I asked a couple of old black men working at the Budweiser Brewery where to get good BBQ in St Louis and they said "Memphis".

I just read the Whispers about Tony Roma's - sounds like the guy that owned that location owns the other locations in Texas and Oklahoma and is closing virtually all of them.

Jerry Bakarat who own's Jasmine's, Sesame's, Gaucho's and that martini bar out on Rahling Road off of Chenal is apparently going to open a South American seafood place in the location Gaucho's is now after he moves it over to Markham. Two thumbs up for that idea.

Jerry Bakarat who own's Jasmine's, Sesame's, Gaucho's and that martini bar out on Rahling Road off of Chenal is apparently going to open a South American seafood place in the location Gaucho's is now after he moves it over to Markham. Two thumbs up for that idea.

Sounds cool. I'll have to try that place whenever I'm in LR.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot to mention this, but Little Rock's first Zaxby's will be coming to the intersection of Savannah Dr. and Carnahan Dr.

I saw that Zaxby's was coming on the plumbing permits. Where exactly is Savannah and Carnahan? I went to Zaxby's website and could not tell if is was more of a fast food place or somewhere like a chili's? Has anybody been there and was it any good?

Okay, some of you were asking about the Blue Coast Burrito location in Little Rock. Well, I found the address. It will be at 14810 Cantrell Suite 190.

That's the Pinnacle Creek development, which is basically just another strip mall.

It's funny how Cantrell keeps moving west. Growing up everything east of I-430 definitely was "Highway 10" and everything east of it "Cantrell". Pretty soon we'll have addresses in Perry County on Cantrell.

That's the Pinnacle Creek development, which is basically just another strip mall.

It's funny how Cantrell keeps moving west. Growing up everything east of I-430 definitely was "Highway 10" and everything east of it "Cantrell". Pretty soon we'll have addresses in Perry County on Cantrell.

You're so right about Cantrell moving west. I remember when Highway 10 started at Cantrell and Mississippi.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a report today on Arkansas Business that said the downtown location of San Francisco Bread Company is closing. Kind of a shame, I always liked walking on Markham near the Old State House and the Peabody, and then eating breakfast there.

It's kind of a pain in the butt to get in and out of for breakfast because of the location, though. Hopefully it can be replaced by more of a "destination" restaurant like Nu or Sonny Williams.

It's a very convienant location for all of the conventioners, via the Convention Center, Doubletree Hotel, and the Peabody.

Perhaps the better location would be in the Convention Center proper. That's not that uncommon. If you ever get a chance walk down to the River Market and try Boulevard Bread. It makes that place look like Waffle House by comparison.

Archived