The Food Thread

gs3

And the one in Simpsonville isn't bad either! Imagine that. :lol:

I would have included Travinia Italian Kitchen in my list, but I haven't been there in a long time and have heard mixed reviews lately. I absolutely loved the atmosphere and food when I visited a few times. Since then, I'm sold on Gerard's Contemporary Italian Cuisine in Greer for the intimate Italian experience. :D

With apologies to the anti-chain crowd...

As far as Italian goes, I really enjoy the food and atmosphere at Romano's Macaroni Grill. I have a friend who is Italian (born, raised, and still lives in Rome) and she said that Macaroni Grill is the most authentic Italian among the chains. I found that to be pretty interesting.

I have not been to Travinia, though I have heard good things about it. I will have to check it out.

I haven't heard too many people make that remark before, but it doesn't surprise me coming from a NY transplant; so many fantastic Italian eateries on every corner of every street in the state. Do you have any particular one you compare all others to?

BTW, it's GREAT to have you back, NYT!!! :D

Thanks Skyliner, its good to be back!

My favorite italian restaurant where I used to live is Aroma Osteria. My favorite in NYC is Pellegrino's in Little Italy.

Both very hard to live up to.

I have to ask: what has everyone's service experience at Smoke on the Water been like? I've tried them twice and have had two very poor experiences. I'm willing to give them a third strike opportunity before I write the place off altogether, but I can't help but wondering if I'm wasting my time. The menu is very attractive to me, which is why I'm considering it again. Maybe it's just the times of the week/day that I'm going there? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have to ask: what has everyone's service experience at Smoke on the Water been like? I've tried them twice and have had two very poor experiences. I'm willing to give them a third strike opportunity before I write the place off altogether, but I can't help but wondering if I'm wasting my time. The menu is very attractive to me, which is why I'm considering it again. Maybe it's just the times of the week/day that I'm going there? Any thoughts or suggestions?

In my experience, they tend to do a real good job for lunch, but struggle some at dinner. I, too, had a couple of bad experiences, but the food drew me back. Bar area very cool, too.

I've mostly gone there for Happy Hour...so perhaps the "happy" has colored my opinion. They do have a wonderful happy hour there. Went once for dinner...its a bit too noisy for an enjoyable dinner. The food was good...but I cant get excited about BBQ. It could have been hotter....and the portions slightly larger.

Sorry RT, I haven't been there, but it sounds like a good reason to try it. You know, take one for the team. :D

Maybe we should start a restaurant review thread where every month we name a restaurant, and UP'ers visit and write a review that month. Yummy. :shades:

I have only eaten there once, and it was within a week or two of the restaurant's opening. I also thought that the service was questionable. Nobody did a poor job exactly, but it just seemed unorganized.

First, someone came to our table, gave us menus, and took our drink orders. Then someone else on staff came over and asked us if we had been helped. It was strange because it was on the early side of their dinner hours and there weren't many people in the restaurant (it would've been a little more understandable if it were crowded). Then, two people came back and they explained to us that they were training someone. The trainee didn't do a poor job, but it seemed a little haphazard and she didn't seem to check on us very often. That isn't a huge deal for me, because I would much rather be left alone for the most part (except for drink refills) than bothered every few minutes. So I wouldn't classify it as poor service, but I expected a little more from a restaurant of Smoke on the Water's caliber.

I have not been back there since, but I wouldn't be opposed to giving it another shot. At the same time, I'm not in a hurry to go back either.

Sorry RT, I haven't been there, but it sounds like a good reason to try it. You know, take one for the team. :D

Maybe we should start a restaurant review thread where every month we name a restaurant, and UP'ers visit and write a review that month. Yummy. :shades:

I like the idea of a restaurant review thread. Having everyone's reviews of restaurants in one place would be great. Just adding the restaurants we've already discussed would put us off to a great start.

Moderators, if we did something like this, could it be a sub-forum (of the Greenville sub-forum) and then let each restaurant have its own thread so it is better organized?

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll have to give them one more chance.

Both times we have gone there it was during the "tween" hours (after lunch and before dinner) on a weekend. Tables were in dire need of bussing througout the restaurant both times. We were seated and menus were given to us, but the server never came to our table. Meanwhile, other patrons were seated and servers promptly attended to them. Maybe I just need to change my brand of deodorant? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I'll have to give them one more chance.

Both times we have gone there it was during the "tween" hours (after lunch and before dinner) on a weekend. Tables were in dire need of bussing througout the restaurant both times. We were seated and menus were given to us, but the server never came to our table. Meanwhile, other patrons were seated and servers promptly attended to them. Maybe I just need to change my brand of deodorant? :rolleyes:

I have not been impressed by Smoke on the Water. I went for lunch on a weekday and service was slack and the food wasn't too die for. I had Salmon and I felt like I could've eaten more... Hmmm, Maybe I need to give them another chance. -_-

I like the idea of a restaurant review thread. Having everyone's reviews of restaurants in one place would be great. Just adding the restaurants we've already discussed would put us off to a great start.

Moderators, if we did something like this, could it be a sub-forum (of the Greenville sub-forum) and then let each restaurant have its own thread so it is better organized?

I would very much like to see something like that happen in the future. I don't think we have reached a point where that could be sustained though. For the time being we could pin a thread (perhaps this one?) that you guys want to dedicate to food in Greenville.

Give Smoke on the Water another try. I've always had great service there. Even had lunch there on Artisphere weekend and the place was packed....got great service even then. More than their barbque, I love their Pimento Cheese on toast. Incredible! Great with a gin and tonic! :D