The Food Thread

gs3

44 minutes ago, Jet-set said:

Liberty Tap Room, Nose Dive, Sully’s Steamers, Vic’s Pizza, Smoke on the Water,  Gringo’s, Grill Marks, Mac’s Speed Shop, etc., etc..

What type of food are you looking for?

Thanks. I'm really craving a good, substantial burger. Or maybe a McAlister's-like menu (but not McAlister's itself).

Went to Grill Marks. Really good burger--exactly what I was looking for. And a really good Irish whiskey milkshake that I'm motivated to try to reproduce at home.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And not to state the obvious, but something needs to be done with that parking lot next to Grill Marks.

• Like 1

Awesome. I agree about the parking lot; I’m not sure who owns it. 

Speaking of food, Crepe du Jour is fantastic. We have been a few times now and really enjoy the whole experience. Add in Famous Toastery and Biscuit Head and that rounds out our top 3 breakfast places downtown. Here’s to hoping they’re all here to stay. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2018 at 7:12 AM, Exile said:

Went to Grill Marks. Really good burger--exactly what I was looking for. And a really good Irish whiskey milkshake that I'm motivated to try to reproduce at home.

Thanks for the suggestions.

And not to state the obvious, but something needs to be done with that parking lot next to Grill Marks.

Grill Marks was listed as one of the "31 best burger joints in America," by Thrillist. Good to see a great restaurant getting some recognition.

• Thanks 1

On April 9, 2018 at 3:55 PM, Exile said:

Grill Marks was listed as one of the "31 best burger joints in America," by Thrillist. Good to see a great restaurant getting some recognition.

Wife & I ventured downtown last night about 8PM.  We knew  It'd be busy Saturday night, we were overwhelmed with the multitudes of people strolling Main St. and all the dining patrons.  All the restaurants appeared to be overflowing...sidewalk seating was full.  Grill Marks, Sobys, etc. were having a great evening. Mast General was overflowing with happy dating couples, families, etc.  I tell you....downtown Greenville  on a Saturday night is an  awesome experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the announcement of D'allesandro's recent opening and Todaro's going in at Markley Station, I think we are getting perilously close to over-saturation in the pizza department. Downtown has a lot of pizza joints these days...

Here's the list I could come up with off the top of my head: D'allesandro's, Todaro's, Coastal Crust (in the Village), Barley's, Sidewall, Stone Pizza (old Park Avenue Pub), Bertolo's, Mellow Mushroom, Toss Pizza Pub, Vic's Pizza. This isn't including the multiple Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Marco's, Domino's, Tony's, Tito's, and Jet's locations that are all just on the outskirts of the city. 

Lot's of competition. Where's your favorite? Who's got staying power?

On 4/25/2018 at 9:52 AM, Joey_Blackdogg said:

With the announcement of D'allesandro's recent opening and Todaro's going in at Markley Station, I think we are getting perilously close to over-saturation in the pizza department. Downtown has a lot of pizza joints these days...

Here's the list I could come up with off the top of my head: D'allesandro's, Todaro's, Coastal Crust (in the Village), Barley's, Sidewall, Stone Pizza (old Park Avenue Pub), Bertolo's, Mellow Mushroom, Toss Pizza Pub, Vic's Pizza. This isn't including the multiple Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Marco's, Domino's, Tony's, Tito's, and Jet's locations that are all just on the outskirts of the city. 

Lot's of competition. Where's your favorite? Who's got staying power?

Looking forward to trying D'Allesandro's and Todaro's, especially the former. Sidewall is my favorite. Went to Toss once and was impressed with the pie ingredients but the sauce was too sparse. I plan to give them a second chance though.  Mellow is always as good safe choice.  Barley's is pretty good as well.  

Stone Pizza did not impress me. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I was having a discussion at the office this morning, with Wild Wing downtown closing, about the best wing spots in town. Here are my top 5, let me know if I am sorely misguided or if you have any other recommendations...

1. Wings on the Run - 3010b E North St, Greenville, SC 29615
  2. LA Hot Wings - 1220 Laurens Rd, Greenville, SC 29607
  3. Mac's Speed Shop - 930 S Main St, Greenville, SC 29601 (smoked)
  4. Local Cue - 30 Orchard Park Dr Suite 7, Greenville, SC 29615 (smoked)
  5. Wild Wing Cafe (RIP DT Location) - 1025 Woodruff Rd k103, Greenville, SC 29607

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

PLEASE, NO NEGATIVE OR SARCASTIC COMMENTS TO THIS POST.

Henry's Smokehouse had a Facebook post saying that just today, they had 3 large cancellations for over 1,000 people. Please folks, let's do all we can to support our local restaurants. These are hard working folks that employ thousands of workers that contribute much to our economy and much to the betterment of our community.  Thank you for letting me speak on this urgent message.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...