The Food Thread

gs3

Don't recall if I mentioned this one, but shame on me if not... Haus Edelweiss on Wade Hampton is simply one of the best places to dine in the Greenville area. It isn't your fine dining atmosphere, but the German fare is downright fabulous and will leave you wanting to come back for more. :wub:

Check out this little blog for another person's take on the restaurant and deli.

Don't recall if I mentioned this one, but shame on me if not... Haus Edelweiss on Wade Hampton is simply one of the best places to dine in the Greenville area. It isn't your fine dining atmosphere, but the German fare is downright fabulous and will leave you wanting to come back for more. :wub:

Check out this little blog for another person's take on the restaurant and deli.

Hahahaha. Skyliner: Did you know that blog belongs to an U.P.'er? :lol:

Speaking of Brixx, after 10PM, every night, all pizza is buy one, get one free!!! shameless plug, but I like the Americo the best.

Thanks for the tip, indeed!

I was floating around downtown Greer this past weekend and happened upon Bistro 107. It was not yet open, but the owner was there and he gave me a tour and a menu. Looks like its going to be a nice place. He was just waiting for his liquor license so he could open. He was shooting for yesterday (Monday 1/30) to open.

The menu looks great! No prices though, but I would imagine it will be expensive. He and his partner had a restaurant in Palm Beach, and came up here to open a new one.

I will try it out soon and let you know. If anyone gets to it first, please give us a quick opinion.

wow! thanks for the welcome! i feel the love...

so, yeah, last weekend i was SO in the mood for moretti's and called and heard that same message just listing the phone number, no explanation, no room for messages - a SAD SAD nite!

i drove by later in the week and plastered all over the former moretti's are signs for another pizza place coming soon - baldacci's maybe? i was just wondering what the heck happened since moretti's pizza is so yummy and i thought they had a great custimer base...

side note - tito's is yummy too but man do we need a deep dish chicago style pizza joint in this area!

side note II - has anyone tried the olive tree yet? pretty sure that's what it is called...it's on s pleasantburg near steak & ale...greek/mediterranian...on that note, HOW SAD was i to discover that amalika is GONE! to be replaced by and "indian fusion" restaurant... :wacko: amalika had THE BEST hummus...

Olive Tree rings a bell in my head, but I don't recall that location. Perhalps there is an aditional or former location? They had great pizza, if I'm remembering the right place. Another great Greek restaurant is Gourmet Pizza on Augusta Road, at Faris. I don't remember Amalika. Where were they located?

side note II - has anyone tried the olive tree yet? pretty sure that's what it is called...it's on s pleasantburg near steak & ale...greek/mediterranian...on that note, HOW SAD was i to discover that amalika is GONE! to be replaced by and "indian fusion" restaurant... :wacko: amalika had THE BEST hummus...

yeah we tried to go to almalika about 2 weeks agao and were saddened to see it gone as well. at least we still have pita house.

we do like indian food and imho the food at Delhi Palace on 29 is better than India Palace - but they just don't seem to get any business at Delhi (or much that is) - i know they started at the "hotel/motel" on 29 then moved up 29 to another location and are now back at the hotel. only problem is no alcohol (c'mon I need a Kingfisher while I eat my Indian food)

someday i'm sure we'll try Tava - anyone been there yet? we couldn't tell if it was open or not when we went by there

I was floating around downtown Greer this past weekend and happened upon Bistro 107. It was not yet open, but the owner was there and he gave me a tour and a menu. Looks like its going to be a nice place. He was just waiting for his liquor license so he could open. He was shooting for yesterday (Monday 1/30) to open.

The menu looks great! No prices though, but I would imagine it will be expensive. He and his partner had a restaurant in Palm Beach, and came up here to open a new one.

I will try it out soon and let you know. If anyone gets to it first, please give us a quick opinion.

Bistor 107 will be open friday night. The place they worked at in West Palm Peach was Taboo. Taboo is very upscale, one of those places full of celebs who arrive in limo's, or that is how I understand it. A while back I scanned a news article in on the restaurant but it looked bad as a jpg and I havn't found out how to attach PDF's to my posts yet.

aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! thanks wellen! you made my day ;)

and...amalika was on orchard park, right across from the post office...i never saw more that 2-3 tables full in there so wasn't completely surprised by their closing...

hey - aside from pizza and seven stars (on wade hampton), does anyone know of restaurants that deliver to the north main area?

Since Bistor 107 brought Downtown Greer in to the picture. Yesterbay a sign went up on Trade where Ann Alexander's Collection used to be announceing Justin's Steakhouse. And their are rumors that the NY Butchershop will be moving in to the space on Trade vacated by the Museum when it moved accross the street.

Of those you mentioned, I have only been to Restaurant O. It is a very nice place, and definitely appropriate for a romantic evening. I took a date there before going to a formal ball. There were others dining there who were dressed up in tuxes and evening gowns as well, plus other people who were dressed nicely but obviously going to other functions. Entrees range from $20-$30, perhaps mid-$30's for an extra-choice cut of beef. The atmosphere is nice. I made reservations a few days ahead of time, and my date and I had a table for two looking out onto Main Street. She and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although it's not on your list, I think you could consider Rick Erwin's also. It's in the West End. I've eaten there, and think you could certainly consider that for a nice, romantic meal.

Of those you mentioned, I have only been to Restaurant O. It is a very nice place, and definitely appropriate for a romantic evening. I took a date there before going to a formal ball. There were others dining there who were dressed up in tuxes and evening gowns as well, plus other people who were dressed nicely but obviously going to other functions. Entrees range from $20-$30, perhaps mid-$30's for an extra-choice cut of beef. The atmosphere is nice. I made reservations a few days ahead of time, and my date and I had a table for two looking out onto Main Street. She and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Although it's not on your list, I think you could consider Rick Erwin's also. It's in the West End. I've eaten there, and think you could certainly consider that for a nice, romantic meal.

Thanks Greenville!

Since Bistor 107 brought Downtown Greer in to the picture. Yesterbay a sign went up on Trade where Ann Alexander's Collection used to be announceing Justin's Steakhouse. And their are rumors that the NY Butchershop will be moving in to the space on Trade vacated by the Museum when it moved accross the street.

Wow! :shok: I wonder if they're relocating from their Taylors place? This is a fabulous place and will be very welcome in downtown Greer. I can't believe how many new dining establishments have entered Greer since Gerard's was opened a few years ago. :thumbsup:

What is the best restaurant in the downtown Greenville area for a nice romantic dinner? I have been looking at the websites for Restaurant O, Devereaux's, Latitude, Larkin's on the River, and others. What do the Greenville residents who are familiar with these restaurants think? Thanks.

Little late on the reply here, but Bergamo is also pretty romantic. Low lighting, great wine, great food. :thumbsup: