The Food Thread

gs3

I don't know if this has been metioned but across from Riverplace they are opening an Oyster Bar. It will be in the old Sit n Spin records building and they building next to it. I guess they are going to join the buildings together....the address will be 11 Camperdown Way.

Never been in to oysters myself, but at least they are trying to do something with that side of the street.

There is now a sign in the window for this restaurant. Called "Oysters on the West End". Right across from Riverplace...should do very well. Another rooftop deck to add to the list. :D The photos were shot through the window, so the quality is a little poor.

CIMG4515.jpg

CIMG4517.jpg

I know it's just a coming-soon sign and all, but they need a proofreader, as well as someone who can tell them that Papyrus is an awful font.

It's nice to see another restaurant in the West End, though. I'm looking forward to dragging my Northern boy out for some Lowcountry food. :)

Where is your northern boy from PC?

I know it's just a coming-soon sign and all, but they need a proofreader, as well as someone who can tell them that Papyrus is an awful font.

It's nice to see another restaurant in the West End, though. I'm looking forward to dragging my Northern boy out for some Lowcountry food. :)

I was just about to respond with the same thoughts! The main problem is that it's not "Up State," but "Upstate." I thought that was common knowledge, but I guess not. :blink:

Proofreader, anyone?

It should also say "meets" instead of "meet" but I'm not picky.

The owner is a Philly transplant, I think (the same one that owns Sharkey's). This is what I've heard/read at least. Maybe the mis-spelling of Upstate can be attributed to this?

Now that I think of it, we are the "UP State!" Look at all of the UP Members here. :lol:

Edited by RestedTraveler

Where is your northern boy from PC?

Rochester, NY. He's finishing up his last three semesters of school, and then he's moving to Greenville.

And wouldn't it be more grammatically correct to call it "Oysters at the West End"? Unless the place is gonna be owned & operated by an oyster..

(Sorry, I was almost an English major.. :P)

Rochester, NY. He's finishing up his last three semesters of school, and then he's moving to Greenville.

And wouldn't it be more grammatically correct to call it "Oysters at the West End"? Unless the place is gonna be owned & operated by an oyster..

I love Rochester, but only in the Summer. :shades:

I thought that at first, too; however, I think it's a play on the term "Oysters on the Half Shell." :unsure:

I own a Restaurant for 16 years and I'm very lucky that I'm still there. In the last 16 years I have seen 70 Restaurants come and go in Downtown. First let me give my opion about of your choices. Personally I think some restaurants are VERY overated, expensive and overdone. Most of it is Hype and marketing. Many restaurants have very good chefs, because that is the reason you open a restaurant, to serve good food. Taste is personal, thats why we have so many restaurants and many choices. Yes sometimes you can have a bad day when visiting a Restaurant. Believe me thats not the owners choice, but problems can occure in a work shift. Maybe the owner is sick and has a help to subsitute him or a waiter is helping you who should't be a waiter. Never judge a place by one visit, try it again a few weeks later and on a different day ( Maybe its that day the chef is off ) I like to visit small places because lot of times the owner is in charge of the food and food is not cooked in masses. 99 % of the restaurants uses the same tenderloin as the big places. I prefer to clean and cut the meat myself and cured it for a few days ( What the big places can't do) Our demiglace is made by hand and takes 3 days ! Small places don' advertise that much so the saving goes to the customer. Small places don't have a huge crew and overhead. But I know big places who cook like a small place ( La Bastide, to name one ) If you are new to the area I would recommend instead of dinner visit that evening a few places and just have a appetizer and a drink and see if you like the place and if the menu is according to your taste. Greenville has a lot of great Restaurants, so you have choice enough. Their is no reason to stand in line for food, because their are enough other places. Some places are crowded because they are " In" but if you have enough friends their is no need to be seen with the "in" crowd, I prefer to be seen with regulars of a restaurant. Small places have most of the times much better prices for the same product, even that they pay more then a big place ( Buying power )I have seen prices as triple for the same product. Going out should be a adventure and fun. Try different areas of the city or just take the car and drive around and look around ( Not to the places with lines) You always will find something you never heard about and maybe you will be their next regular without waiting for a seat !.

Welcome AddySC ! My wife and I have always supported small independent businesses and totally agree with your recommendations of sampling many restaurants and enjoying the experience of being out and about. At the small, family owned restaurants sometime the service may be slower or they may have a off night but I would still rather enjoy a unique experience than a chain restaurant experience.

Welcome AddySC!

The smaller local restaurants are always better. Not only is the food usually several notches above, but the owners care and get to know their customers. Carlos at Rosalinda's, Mimi at Mimi's Japanese and Barbara at Sophisticated Palate, along with obviously Addy, care deeply about their business and recognize their regulars. They become part of your lives. One of the best things about Greenville is the abundance of local owned restaurants and also the numerous types....Japanese, Indian, Vegetarian Indian, Dutch, French, Chinese, Thai, Korean, Vietamese, British, Mexican, American Italian, Italian, Middle Eastern, Low Country, Cajun, etc, etc. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Does anyone know when the Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop at 1818 Augusta Street opened? They snuck in under the radar on me! :lol:

A little tardy here, but it opened back in August and surprised me, too. This might not bode well for business. It certainly doesn't jump out at you when driving by. Also, when Augusta Grill is open, there is little to no parking. Maybe downtown would have been a wiser move, with more walk-in traffic (?). I hope it is a success, because I waited a long time for Ben & Jerry's to put a shop around here! Don't have to wait until I go to Charleston, Chapel Hill or the Atlanta airport (although maybe there's such a thing as too close :P )!

(although maybe there's such a thing as too close :P )!

:D:D

When I've been in, it's always busy. The Maggie Moo's across the street is always busy too. I heard Brusters is looking at Augusta Road also. With all those young families in the Augusta Road bungalows, come lots of kids.....business should be booming for these ice cream stores.

When I've been in, it's always busy. The Maggie Moo's across the street is always busy too. I heard Brusters is looking at Augusta Road also. With all those young families in the Augusta Road bungalows, come lots of kids.....business should be booming for these ice cream stores.

That sounds reassuring! :thumbsup:

Make sure to go when they have free scoop day! If you want to be cool, go through the line several times to try a few different flavors.

I'll be on the lookout for one of those days! :w00t: I hope the scoopers have short memories for the last suggestion. :whistling:

Totally unrelated question, but has anyone tried El Matador on Wade Hampton? I've wondered about it for years but for whatever reason have never made the decision to eat there.