The Food Thread

gs3

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby and I ate at the Mellow Mushroom for the first time a couple weeks ago. It was a Friday lunchtime. The service left something to be desired (I think they were shorthanded that day)... we shared a hummus appetizer and a small "Mega Veggie" pizza. Both were terrific! Definitely worth a try for everyone.

They even offer tempeh as a pizza topping... I'm not a hardcore vegetarian or anything, but I have to admit, I was impressed. :)

I've always been a big fan of Mellow Mushroom, way before we ever got one. You have to go there with the expectation that you'll get terrible service. They try to keep the deadhead atmosphere by hiring a bunch of hippies, and you get the type of service you'd expect from hippies. It's pretty fun if you go in there with that in mind. Otherwise, you'll be totally frustrated.

They try to keep the deadhead atmosphere by hiring a bunch of hippies, and you get the type of service you'd expect from hippies. It's pretty fun if you go in there with that in mind. Otherwise, you'll be totally frustrated.

I like your description of Mellow Mushroom. :D I've always loved this place. Used to go one in Atlanta in my young college days. Since they've franchised, I've found it funny that families take children and have fun, always overlooking the "mellow" connection. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I tried Doc Chey's on Woodruff road the other day. I highly recommend it. The food was excellent, the portions were huge and the service was excellent. For those who aren't familiar with Doc Chey's it's a chain, and they recently opened a franchise here in Greenville. They serve Chineese, but it's not a takeout place. It's a casual, but nice, sit down restaurant with a bar. I would guess that most of their business is lunch, but I stopped in before going to a movie across the street and was really impressed. Give it a try.

Edited by Eastside

I tried Doc Chey's on Woodruff road the other day. I highly recommend it. The food was excellent, the portions were huge and the service was excellent. For those who aren't familiar with Doc Chey's it's a chain, and they recently opened a franchise here in Greenville. They serve Chineese, but it's not a takeout place. It's a casual, but nice, sit down restaurant with a bar. I would guess that most of their business is lunch, but I stopped in before going to a movie across the street and was really impressed. Give it a try.

Not Just Chinese, but Japanese, Thai and Vietnamese as well.

I asked the folks at Ted Turner's Montana Grille if they were planning on opening a location in the Greenville area.

Alas, no is the answer. Closest ones remain in the Atlanta area.

Bah how sad - I love Ted's and I don't normally eat "red meat". I've been to the one in Raleigh a couple of times and it's always been excellent. Maybe if we ever get a Cheesecake Factory they'll follow along shortly after that.

My wife and I rarely eat out (maybe once a month, if that). Despite all the new restaurants, my wife and I made our first venture to Stax Peppermill. Having only been to the diners, we were woefully underdressed. (Sneakers and t-shirts). At any rate, rather than turning us away, they tucked us into a corner of the restaurant and went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of. The food was very good (my wife had Filet Mignon... I had the Pistachio Chicken.) All and all a fine evening.

Just wanted to give a local plug amid all the "sexier" restaurants out that are growing like a fungus.

Thanks for doing that, Breed. We should never forget to give support to these local restaurants. They rely on us to keep them afloat, and to get the word out to others.

Speaking of local restaurants that are growing, Brick City Grille will be opening an additional Greenville location on Woodruff Road soon. I have yet to try out the Pelham Road location, but have heard great comments about the original in Anderson. :shades:

Thanks for doing that, Breed. We should never forget to give support to these local restaurants. They rely on us to keep them afloat, and to get the word out to others.

Speaking of local restaurants that are growing, Brick City Grille will be opening an additional Greenville location on Woodruff Road soon. I have yet to try out the Pelham Road location, but have heard great comments about the original in Anderson. :shades:

[/quot

I went to Brick City Grille this past weekend. Very nice decor and not loud at all. Extremely nice bar area as well. I would say it is like Flat Rock Grille with more menu options. I had grilled cheken over rice with pineapples and it was very good. I highly recommend Brick City Grille and will definitely be back soon.

• 5 months later...

I am absolutely DYING for some yellow curry! I've been to some thai restaurants in the area that have curry - but it is always red, green, etc... no yellow. :(

The type I'm used to is very simple, with chicken, potatoes, carrots and onion - sometimes with peas.

Does anyone know where I can find this? I used to have it every week before I moved here, and now I haven't had it for several months! :(

Thanks!!

I am absolutely DYING for some yellow curry! I've been to some thai restaurants in the area that have curry - but it is always red, green, etc... no yellow. :(

The type I'm used to is very simple, with chicken, potatoes, carrots and onion - sometimes with peas.

Does anyone know where I can find this? I used to have it every week before I moved here, and now I haven't had it for several months! :(

Thanks!!

Hey NutKitty! Welcome to U.P.! Have you been to Thaicoon Ricefire (near Furman on Poinsett Highway)? I know they have Green and Red, but I don't recall seeing Yellow. If you speak to the owner (Bob), and request it, he may be able to work something special out for you (not sure)? :unsure:

Thanks!!

Hi nutkitty,

Thai at Greenville has yellow curry on their menu. I haven't tried it but I have eaten the red curry there and it's very good. The restaurant is on Pelham near E. North. Other good Thai restaurants (although not sure if they serve yellow curry) are Bangkok Thai also on Pelham but nearer to 85, Thai Restaurant on Augusta Rd., Royal Thai on Mauldin Rd. As you can tell, I am a Thai-food fan. :D

Thanks!

Thai Restaurant on Augusta did have yellow curry. I used to do take out form there alot. Also, Lieu's Chinese has a yellow curry dish that's OK, but it doesn't live up to it's Thai counterparts.

I can't speak for the curry dish at Lieu's Chinese Bistro, but everything I have ever had there has been outstanding. I recommend eating there, as the atmosphere is nice (it's dimly lit and they play smooth jazz) and the service is usually excellent.

I tried Brick City Grille tonight on the recommendation of an acquaintance. For those of you who don't know, it is located in the shopping center with the Publix on Pelham Road (on the stretch between Pleasantburg and Haywood Roads). The inside is nicer than you would expect, given the fact that it's in a shopping center. The food was good, but the service was very disappointing. Perhaps my experience was an isolated one. Has anyone else dined there?

I tried Brick City Grille tonight on the recommendation of an acquaintance. For those of you who don't know, it is located in the shopping center with the Publix on Pelham Road (on the stretch between Pleasantburg and Haywood Roads). The inside is nicer than you would expect, given the fact that it's in a shopping center. The food was good, but the service was very disappointing. Perhaps my experience was an isolated one. Has anyone else dined there?

I've never dined there, tho I've seen it VERY often since I am addicted to Jersey Mikes, right beside it. ;) I go there maybe three times a week. O_O (Turkey on wheat with provolone, Mike's Way, with jalapenos = YUM!)

I'll go with the opposite experience. I tried there Friday night. The service was outstanding - the food was just meh. My wife had french onion soup and the Hawaiian pizza and she was not impressed with either (of course she also had the stomach flu saturday so maybe that played a role in it). I had the full rack of ribs, caesar salad and creamed spinach. The food was okay - except the ribs were a little "cool" in some spots and were drowned in sauce (not my preferred way to eat ribs). You'd think I'd have learned by now to only eat BBQ and ribs at the local dives (mmmm Stokes) but if I see them god help me I order them.