The Food Thread

gs3

Tomorrow from 7AM-10PM, you can get a free short stack (3) of pancakes at IHOP. No purchase is necessary. The only thing they're asking is that you consider donating some money to the Children's Miracle Network or other local charities. For more information please visit: http://www.ihop.com/tellafriend.php

Edited by g-man430

Reading this thread really makes a person hungry.I agree with every thing on here except the sushi never really been a big fan.However no ones mentioned Flatrock grill i love that place even if its not out of the ordinary.

Boy are you right it's making me hungry just thinking about it all.....I would add Blue Ridge Brewry to the list....

Whats the story on Petes? I've seen the original on Pendleton St, and No. 6 out in Easley... where are the other four, and is it worth going to?

You've never been to any of the Pete's, Petee's, Clock's, etc in the Greenville area?

They are just short order joints, some better than others. Many started by Greek immigrants to the area.

My favorite are the two Clock's next to each other on Hwy 123 & Washington Ave., supposedly the owner of the first Clock went back to Greece for a while, and left someone else to run it, but when he came back, his associate wouldn't let him have the place back, so almost in spite, he started another Clock right next door to the first Clock.

As far as I can tell, both are thriving businesses. But woe be unto you if you are a regular at one and go to the other.

made it by Jimmy John's the other day. Pretty good, nothing extravagant but definitely good for a quick sandwich. They are also doing bicycle delivery and fax orders so it appears that they are trying to cater to businesses and residents in the area, hopefully being off of Main Street won't hurt them.

That's cool. I wondered why there were so many bicycles outside on the street corner (not that it is highly unusual, but I wondered).

Whats the story on Petes? I've seen the original on Pendleton St, and No. 6 out in Easley... where are the other four, and is it worth going to?

Wow. These are "greasey spoon" restaurants. Pete's would have to probably be Greenville's version of The Beacon in Spartanburg, only there are multiple locations around the city and suburbs. Como's is the original, located at the end of South Main Street, across from Pendleton West. I have heard that it is a popular place for business executives. Personally, if I want that type of food, I usually visit BeeBee's on Laurens Road, also owned and operated by a Greek family. They pile it on and their prices are very reasonable.

I wish more greek owned resteraunts actually served real greek food. Real Greek food has a lot of healthy benefits and it's ashame that so many of these places have the resouces and connections to serve and promote healthy eating but instead they seemed to have taken the easy way out. I admit I have really strong cravings for cheeseburgers but it's not the best stuff for me. I used to go to these Greek burger joints a lot when I was younger but not I'd rather go to somewhere like the Acropolis, Pita House or Never on Sunday.

I wish more greek owned resteraunts actually served real greek food. Real Greek food has a lot of healthy benefits and it's ashame that so many of these places have the resouces and connections to serve and promote healthy eating but instead they seemed to have taken the easy way out. I admit I have really strong cravings for cheeseburgers but it's not the best stuff for me. I used to go to these Greek burger joints a lot when I was younger but not I'd rather go to somewhere like the Acropolis, Pita House or Never on Sunday.

Gourmet Pizza on Augusta Road is one of the healthy Greek restaurants as well. I really like how "clean" the pizza tastes, and they have a full menu with other options.

As far as Greek restaurants there's also Olympia (on Congaree I believe), Mythos (29 in Greer) and the ever popular (read always crowded) Olive Tree on 291 near Steak & Ale. I think Olive Tree also has a location on Mauldin Rd.

You'd think with the lines the Greek Festival gets for meals some other folks would take a hint and step up. I think the Greek Festival should be every other week just for the food.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I finally tried Doc Chey's yesterday. It was either that or PF Chang's which we'd already had ( and liked), so I wish we had gone there instead.

I ordered their curry, and my bf got the chicken fried rice. My curry was pretty bland, the food didn't really have much of a taste. I also thought it was weird that the chicken seemed to have a coating on it? (like fried chicken) :P

My bf's chicken fried rice tasted really dry, and wasn't all that special. He liked it though, so I guess that's good.

I guess I just prefer more flavor? I could have asked them to make it more spicy, but I don't think it would have really helped.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kim's Hot Wings (Chinese Restaurant) Review

I have passed this place off of Augusta Road a thousand times and have always been put off by its appearance. After reading a review from the folks at 33 Liberty, my wife and I decided to give it a try and we now have a new favorite Chinese restaurant. I could not agree more with the review posted so instead of duplicating it, here is the link:

http://www.33liberty.com/ufp/Restaurants/kims_chinese.html

Enjoy!

Edited by gvegascple

Kim's Hot Wings (Chinese Restaurant) Review

I have passed this place off of Augusta Road a thousand times and have always been put off by its appearance. After reading a review from the folks at 33 Liberty, my wife and I decided to give it a try and we now have a new favorite Chinese restaurant. I could not agree more with the review posted so instead of duplicating it, here is the link:

http://www.33liberty.com/ufp/Restaurants/kims_chinese.html

Enjoy!

I live only a few blocks from Kim's, and stop in at least once a week for take-out. The food really is well made and fresh. Quite a surprise for such a tiny place.