The Food Thread

gs3

It is located on Rushmore Drive, which runs next to the old K-Mart on Wade Hampton Boulevard. They have recently added a new location in downtown Greer and are renovating a location in downtown Spartanburg as well. Very goo food! :thumbsup:

offtopic.gif Did the KMart on Wade Hampton @ Rushmore finally close? I guess the wording has me confused.

Just in case you guys did not know about restaurant.com, I thought I would post this. Anyway, you can by gift certificates for cheap. I paid $6 for a $25 gift certificate to Justins. They have lots of other restaurants in the area and all over the country for that matter. I got an email today for gift certificates for only $4.

Very nice.

Hope its not against the rules to pimp a deal like this.

Edited by Chickenwing

Just in case you guys did not know about restaurant.com, I thought I would post this. Anyway, you can by gift certificates for cheap. I paid $6 for a $25 gift certificate to Justins. They have lots of other restaurants in the area and all over the country for that matter. I got an email today for gift certificates for only $4.

Very nice.

Hope its not against the rules to pimp a deal like this.

I used those gift certificates all the time when I lived in DC. It was a great way to try some really good restaurants and save some money (which is very important when you're a student!). I haven't looked to see if which Greenville restaurants participate, but that's a great idea.

offtopic.gif Did the KMart on Wade Hampton @ Rushmore finally close? I guess the wording has me confused.

That old K-mart is actually still open, believe it or not. :blink:

:offtopic: The store will be closing once its current short term lease expires later this year. Its tenure on its deathbed is finally ending. The property owner plans to raze the entire site excluding Corona for another restaurant and a supermarket, one that has previously served the immediate community.

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this article, but O-CHA seems to be doing well thanks to some local students who used MySpace and Facebook to promote O-CHA and get people in the door. I get Facebook announcements from them all the time (including the one tonight announcing the publicity in the newspaper):

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....ID=200770429010

I'm glad to see that O-CHA is doing well. Great job by these students! :thumbsup:

I'm pretty bummed. :( I've been trying to find the phone number for the Pizza House in Powdersville, and it seems like it's a fruitless search. I've been craving pizza from Pizza House ever since I moved back from North Greenville.

But! I have good food-based news! Tomorrow night is 31-cent scoop night at Baskin-Robbins. From 5-10, you'll be able to have a scoop of World Class Chocolate (or any other flavor) just by getting some change out of the couch cushions.

I'm pretty bummed. :( I've been trying to find the phone number for the Pizza House in Powdersville, and it seems like it's a fruitless search. I've been craving pizza from Pizza House ever since I moved back from North Greenville.

But! I have good food-based news! Tomorrow night is 31-cent scoop night at Baskin-Robbins. From 5-10, you'll be able to have a scoop of World Class Chocolate (or any other flavor) just by getting some change out of the couch cushions.

Where are the Baskin Robbin's in Greenville? The last one I remember seeing anywhere was on Woodruff Road in front of Bi-Lo but I thought it closed down a while back. The only other ones I remember in the Upstate were at the Bell Tower Mall, McAlister Square and one at the intersection of Howell and E. North Street.

I don't know the Powdersville Pizza House phone #, but you should be able to use the 411 service. I do have their take out menu at home, but it obviously doesn't do any good now, right? I'll try to remember to post the # when I get back home. :thumbsup:

I had dinner with my kids this evening at Tsunami. We had spring rolls (both beef and shrimp) and sushi (California Roll, Spicy California Roll, and the Greenville Roll). That Greenville Roll was a very special surprise. It was like a Torpedo Roll, only much, much, much better! This was our first trip in together, but we'll definitely go back over and over and over again.

I don't know the Powdersville Pizza House phone #, but you should be able to use the 411 service. I do have their take out menu at home, but it obviously doesn't do any good now, right? I'll try to remember to post the # when I get back home. :thumbsup:

I ended up swinging by and grabbing a menu as well as the food.. it was fantastic! I got one of the regular-sized pizzas (beef and extra cheese) and I felt like I was back at college again. :) Very delicious. I might try the spaghetti next time, though.

As far as Baskin-Robbins goes, there are only three in the area; one on E. North St, one on Fairview Road in Simpsonville, and one in Anderson on Clemson Blvd. Tomorrow's high temperatures are supposed to be around 90, so a cheap cone might be a great way to cool off. :)

Had dinner at High Cotton the other night. I don't know if it was built up too much or whatever, but I thought it was very overrated.

Sure it has all the fancy bells and whistles (switching out utensils and stuff), but if you're paying that much, I'd expect the food to be exceptional, too. There were only a few entrees to choose from...and the portions were far from generous. I'm a value kind of guy, so when you get down to measuring experience vs. food vs. price, I think you're much better off at a cheaper place like City Range. Heck, the food at Flat Rock is almost just as good.

But we all know how people in Greenville love to "see and be seen." So if you're more into the perceived elitism aesthetic, High Cotton might just be your place. Just don't expect the greatest food ever served on china. Sorry if that comes across as incredibly grumpy, but I just left that night thinking...that was it?

I loved High Cotton when I had brunch there a couple weeks ago. The food was excellent, service was almost too much, and the atmosphere was great. I'd give them a 10 and would recommend them to somebody looking for a nice place to eat. :)

I had dinner with my kids this evening at Tsunami. We had spring rolls (both beef and shrimp) and sushi (California Roll, Spicy California Roll, and the Greenville Roll). That Greenville Roll was a very special surprise. It was like a Torpedo Roll, only much, much, much better! This was our first trip in together, but we'll definitely go back over and over and over again.

I LOVE thier sushi, especially the Greenville Roll!!!

Edited by Mussins

My girlfriend and I are attending a wedding in Sunset, SC in a few weeks are were looking for a hotel to stay in Greenville Saturday night and maybe a place to eat brunch on Sunday (outside seating would be a plus). Can anybody help with some suggestions? We've never been to Greenville and wanted to check the area out on Sunday. Thanks!

^ Not sure your price range, but you should look at downtown (hotels from all prices.....Holiday Inn Express to Hyatt, Hampton to Westin). Additionally, downtown (centered around Main Street) is filled with 80 plus restaurants. Many serve brunch......High Cotton, Soby's, Lattitude. :thumbsup: With beautiful weather, downtown is perfect to stroll after brunch and window shop, check out the waterfall at Falls Park, Liberty Bridge, West End, etc. If you're going to be in Greenville, definitely do downtown....you may fall in love. :)

Enjoy Greenville!

My girlfriend and I are attending a wedding in Sunset, SC in a few weeks are were looking for a hotel to stay in Greenville Saturday night and maybe a place to eat brunch on Sunday (outside seating would be a plus). Can anybody help with some suggestions? We've never been to Greenville and wanted to check the area out on Sunday. Thanks!

Recommended Sunday Brunch with outdoor seating:

I'm not sure if this is the best place for this article, but O-CHA seems to be doing well thanks to some local students who used MySpace and Facebook to promote O-CHA and get people in the door. I get Facebook announcements from them all the time (including the one tonight announcing the publicity in the newspaper):

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....ID=200770429010

I'm glad to see that O-CHA is doing well. Great job by these students! :thumbsup:

I was surprised to receive the following message on Facebook from Mallie Majarais as part of the "Save OCHA!" group I joined:

THANK YOU!!! Business was great for a while...but it's slowed down drastically over the past few weeks. We will have to close our doors on May 31st unless we get a HUGE boost in customers coming in. You kept us open since January with your kindness and love for bubble teas, etc....can you truly...SAVE O-CHA again? (PLEASE make everyone you know aware that we are still trying to sell O-CHA to keep it alive...WE NEED A BUYER ASAP.)

This message is especially confusing, given the recent article on OCHA in The Greenville News. :dontknow:

Another OCHA update today via Facebook:

We will be closing at the end of May unless we find a buyer/parnter for the business in the next week.. Please make everyone you know aware of situation...someone out there wants to own a cafe!!!! Thanks for you wonderful support, Mallie Majarais

I hope they can find someone who wants to invest in OCHA and make it better. I am still not convinced that the concept can't be successful in Greenville.

Another OCHA update today via Facebook:

We will be closing at the end of May unless we find a buyer/parnter for the business in the next week.. Please make everyone you know aware of situation...someone out there wants to own a cafe!!!! Thanks for you wonderful support, Mallie Majarais

Sounds like more of the threat tactics that we heard back in January.

Do it or don't. If you can't make it in the springtime with beautiful weather and lots of pedestrian traffic, perhaps it's time to hang it up.